Galaxy S9 'starlte' + /e/OS 'Q' dev AOSP Android 10

Because this post is tagged ‘user-experience’ I’ll leave my impressions here.

After spending a few hours trying to install (the wrong way!) stock Android 10, then a few more flashing to Q, I’m pretty much over all this shit at this point. The process this time was pretty different, as I was mistakenly under the impression that upgrading to Q would be more similar to installing previous builds in the past.

As for Q itself…it appears to be the same old /e/ UI with some Lineage infrastructure under the hood. I was hoping to see some bigger changes, specifically having the ability to DELETE widgets, especially the useless ones located on the left screen. Why are users still not allowed to delete, move, edit any widgets? Also, why is it still impossible to arrange apps however I want without being forced to the auto grid alignment?

There is also the very annoying Calendar notification that cannot be turned off. I know you guys are aware of it, but it’s a major distraction and should be fixed asap. When I tried running /e/ on an Essential PH-1 a while back it had the same problem - there were other bugs on that phone but the Calendar notification made me go back to Lineage. Now it’s happening on the S9 and I’m seriously thinking about flashing backward at this point.

Hi @cornfarmer, if you don’t like using the bliss launcher (i like it), you can try for exemple the « OpenLauncher » from F-Droid :

or another one :

@piero beat me to it! Consider this a second recommendation for OpenLauncher.

Open Launcher seems like it should be the default one instead of Bliss.

Some of the team want to attract iPhone users too, and they feels like at home sweet home with Bliss.

Proposing the choice between Bliss Launcher and OpenLauncher at first boot after installation could be a nice option.

Great that you kept your word and gave feedback. Factual criticism is important and right.

The LineageOS Android distribution has been developing LineageOS 17.1 since April 2020. My first installation on the Samsung Galaxy S9 (starlte) is with lineage-17.1-20200530-nightly-starlte-signed. The LineageOS Wiki had exemplary from the beginning the “Warning: Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 10 firmware.

/e/ Interested parties had until 25 January 2021 rather the problem that they could not downgrade an S9 / S9+ equipped with stock Android 10 due to Samsung’s bootloader policy to be able to install the official /e/OS 'O’reo.

Now, the S9 / S9+ can be switched to the /e/ OS ‘Q’ with any stock Android 10 version. Installing the stock Android 10 version with Security Update Decmber 2020 makes sense, as important firmware areas are updated, which LineageOS and /e/ OS then rely on.

LineageOS 17.1 builds on the source code of Android 10 published in the Android Open Source Project (AOSP). It is no secret that /e/ OS builds on the open source code of LineageOS and then creates its modifications. Compare the supported devices of both CustomROMs.

AOSP is currently also used by Huawei to equip their new smartphones with Android 10 even without the Goolge licenses. The AOSP 10 UI can also be found in custom ROMs from crDroid and Havoc-OS and others. The basic set of apps is very similar everywhere. The launchers have always been a divide of opinions. I like the BlissLauncher with its icon display.

I don’t use the pre-installed apps with either LOS 17.1 or /e/ OS ‘Q’. LineageOS 17.1 “Jelly” browser still phones home and I still don’t trust the /e/ weather app. Here I am quite consistent and uninstall resp. deactivate all apps for which I have a good alternative - namely the apps from the SimpleMobileTools suite. From dialer to clock, but especially the powerful pro versions of draw, filemanager, notes, galleray, contacts and calendar are appreciated. Instead of the SMS messenger, I use ‘Silence’ for encrypted texting with my friends. All apps are from the F-Droid store. The Pro versions are free, in the Google Play Store they cost a few cents. For me there is no reason to change the operating system because of an annoying app. I just change the app.

1 Like

I don’t use the pre-installed apps with either LOS 17.1 or /e/ OS ‘Q’.

Curious as to how you disabled the stock Calendar app on the new Q build.

This post describes how to disable system apps

This post describes how to uninstall system apps

1 Like

That is one method. It disables at the User-level. On my phone, I disable package names and apps at the System-level. This does not require rooting the device with e.g. Magsik, /e/OS ‘Q’ and ADB commands are sufficient. Also, I generally don’t use /e/OS with rooted devices.

The thread “Uninstall default apps” has been closed by /e/ support. From this I can see what the /e/Officials think of this whole theme: The package foundation.e.apps should work as intended.

The uninstall default apps topics was closed as it was very old. The concept is very much active.
Only problem is like a lot of other tasks there are not enough developers to work on it. We had done a bit on research on it and understand it requires comprehensive changes across all apps and to system level code.
This idea of having uninstallable default apps is on the top of my list of features I would like to see on /e/ and keep reminding the dev team to restart work on it.

Well, a thread was opened in October 2019. This also shows how long the “uninstall default apps” issue has been bothering users. With recent activity in August, September and October 2020, I don’t feel the topic is “very old”. But that is a matter of opinion and a question of definition.

Closing threads has the disadvantage of encouraging the fragmentation of a topic. Continuous updating allows for a quicker overview. Finding one’s way around the forum is not everyone’s cup of tea, as is clear here:

1 Like

I think a big part of users request about removing default system applications is due by the fact that Bliss Launcher don’t allow to hide an application icon.

In many cases, when you don’t want to use a default application, you simply don’t use it.
You can install a replacement one to use it if you need the service.
But having its icon every minutes in front of your face could be extremely annoying !

In some case of conflict between applications or desire of absolute control, uninstalling could be a necessity…

Please give us a clue as to which adb commands? :slight_smile:

Pete, I assume you’re an advanced user. Your activities here, if nothing else, show that.

What I do is not witchcraft. Everything I know I’ve learned by researching the WWW and trying it out on devices. My maxim is: theory is important, practice is life. So what I can do, anyone else can learn. I’m also learning every day. And that gives me much more pleasure than “100 years ago” at school :))

I only advise those users who know what they are doing to act on a system level. Please do not misunderstand this statement. It is not meant to discriminate against anyone. However, working at system level involves various risks from which the normal user should remain protected.

You will receive a PM from me today.
Kind regards and stay healthy and safe.

Thank you @petefoth for the disable command. The calendar notification constantly blinking in my face is gone.

Is your serious thought of flashing back gone now too?

For the time being :wink:

My recent posts have been a little salty, and I apologize if anyone has taken offense. After trying out some launcher voodoo, etc. things are a bit more liveable.

So, is the S9 not fully upgraded to the official 0.14 build yet? Just asking for clarification.

Your anger and disappointment I clearly perceived. That’s why I’ve been covertly cynical in echoing it.

I had also expected the /e/OS ‘Q’ upgrade to be more up to date. The Android security patch status 5 November 2020 gives me the impression that the upgrade was pushed because of the great pressure of expectation. Well, at least the S9 / S9+ is now at ‘Q’ level and thus suitable for significantly more new users than with the 8-Oreo release.

My new test system is up and running: Numerous pre-installed apps are disabled for now, especially org.lineageos.weather.provider & openweathermapprovider and foundation.e.weather, because weather apps generally have a reputation for being chatty. For me, chatting all day is enough :))

Bliss_Launcher_Apps

Use the open-source Android firewall NetGuard Pro version (paid version), because only the Pro version unlocks those functions that are essential for monitoring and controlling outgoing (app) data connections even without root rights.

The update from microG 0.2.14.204215-dirty-noen to microG 0.2.17.204714 (with the option ‘Exposure Notifications’ OFF, which I like) was successful with my tried and tested method.

Well little Miss @SuzieQ, down the rabbit hole I go. :slight_smile:

I just downloaded and installed NetGuard Pro. I tried TrackerControl via F-Droid, but it was a bit wonky for me. Anything I should be aware of?