Google Fi App - Uninstall?

Or you could rebuild your ROM image using MIK (link above), but this is highly experimental.

Just unpacked a LineageOS image : app is included as well, along with the same third-party apps (Verizon, Sprint, …)

In pursuing my calling problems, I’ve just installed the LineageOS nightly from 2021-12-9. Using the adb command adb shell pm list packages -d
I see com.google.android.apps.tycho listed as a disabled app. It seems Google Fi is in LineageOS’s latest build, but disabled by default. It doesn’t show up in the “Apps & notifications” section of settings.

I wonder why it’s there? Could it be supplying some library or other shared resource which relates to carrier network function? Installing the latest LineageOS build has fixed my calling issue.

I’ll likely start another thread or two on the calling issue and ability to install the /e/ app installer on LineageOS.

Thanks so much for your help, everyone, but I think this issue gets tabled until I’m back to running /e/os.

Good catch installing LineageOS !

At this point, your best bet would be to add your comments to issues #3973 and #3974 (you will have to create a /e/ Gitlab account).
As you can see /e/ devs are aware of problem, so it just need a little bump to rise priority :wink:

1 Like

In doing a bit more digging, it appears I may be right concerning Google Fi being necessary for core telephone functions on my device.

The de-Googleing instructions for LOS 16 here. Mention that certain Project Fi (previous name of Google Fi) devices need the tycho app to function. That de-googling thread links to this older thread with more information.

I’m just documenting my findings in this thread for my own future benefit and for others.

3 Likes

And that is most appreciated! I have the same issue on the same device. I will update the gitlab threads.

Hi @tnadovada,

Instead of littering the gitlab threads with discussion, I am responding to you here. In case you missed them, I have added information in 4 of the 6 open sunfish threads which you may find of interest.

With Netguard Pro, I was able to terminate/block every attempt of the device to phone-home. IMO, the app is well worth the €7.50 investment and can be installed on every device you own.

In other words, I don’t think you ncessarily have to wait to replace LOS with /e/, so long as you are diligent in looking over the logs and blocking connections of the parts of the OS that rely upon /google/ apps. Just a thought for your consideration.

Whether or not sunfish can be truly “de-googled” is an open question, one I raise and outline here.

Best regards,

Thanks for posting to the Gitlab pages. I assume you’re Marc D? I just got my account working, so I did see your posts. I also just installed Netguard and will likely purchase the pro version - useful app!

I’ll admit I haven’t done my due-diligence on Netguard to know if it can truly capture all outgoing network traffic as a non-root app, but I’ll take you at your word that it can.

The reason I can’t replace LOS with /e/ is that I can’t make phone calls to phones on the AT&T network using /e/, so LOS is the lesser of evils for now. Hopefully the next update of /e/ fixes the issue.

Yes.

Yes, AT&T is an issue- they have gone from “all devices are OK unless specified” to “no devices are OK unless specified”…

My sunfish is currently on the T-Mobile network and phone calls to devices on AT&T work fine. Not shilling for them, but if you use less than 2.5GB data per month, they have a $15 deal with unlimited talk/text here. As a FYI, I had no problem transferring my prior AT&T number to them.