Guide to GPS navigation with /e/ os

Yeah I tried OsmAnd~ from F droid this morning on my way to work and it worked well. I might try using it for a bit and see how I like it. Off the hop, it is similar vibe to Organic Maps.

Anyone has experience with Here WeGo? This already used to be my navigation app on a Googled Android but can’t get it to work on /e/os Android Auto. :frowning:

Yeah I am not sure about here wego. I have never used it. I am also not sure about android auto. I don’t own a car that even has it, so I just use the gps right on my phone.

Does it work on e os, just not with android auto? Or does it not work on e at all?

I used to use Here we go quite a bit and I liked it mainly because it was good for navigating offline. I tried it on my current device (Teracube) and unfortunately I have to say it’s been glitchy and slow.

Here we go app earns money by selling your privata data unlike magic earth.
If you use /e/OS-Murena then it makes sense to use magic earth (or osmand)

I totally second OsmAnd~, but also wish to mention, in France, the free but not open-source ‘Cartes IGN’ that features many national maps including one with satellite pictures ‘a la google’

1 Like

I feel like Magic Earth used to have satelite and no longer does for some reason. I didn’t use it that much, but now that I look I can no longer find the option to turn satelite on.

Not navigation related, but I also found an app on app lounge called Maps Measure. It uses googe maps data and lets you measure distances and areas. It has a 10/10 privacy rating on app lounge and Ive never had the advanced privacy detect any trackers.

Maps Measure
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.j4velin.mapsmeasure

Edit: The description does say it is open source. It’s not on F-droid though.

1 Like

In case you are missing satellite pictures in OsmAnd~ …

• Menu
    • Configure map
      • Overlay Map: …
        • On
        • Overlay map
          • Add more…
            • Microsoft Earth
        • set transparency and map symbols as you wish

If you prefer Google images, here’s something to try … https://community.openstreetmap.org/t/osmand-with-google-earth/94263

1 Like

Maps.me was open source but objected to being in F-Droid. I don’t know if it still is open.

Edit: it became OrganicMaps

The maps.me that still exists on play store has a 0/10 privacy rating on app lounge :confused:

I don’t know how reliable those ratings really are, but I usually check them just to see what they say. By comparison waze is 7/10, which surprised me.

Apparently it was sold about 4 years ago, which is why it was forked.

Thank you. I have issues getting OSMAnd to work as well. Though I haven’t spend that much time on it to be honest. I use the OSM maps together with OpenTracks happily, but I don’t need navigation when running :relieved:

I thought Here Wego was pretty OK, based on oldish this report and its 8/10 privacy ranking in the App Lounge (though even Waze gets 7/10 and Google Maps Go even 10/10). I will make a separate post on getting Here Wego to work I think.

I haven’t tried google maps go. It looks like a similar idea to GMaps WV. I was surprised it didn’t have any trackers.

On OSMAnd, you have the feature to mesure the distance between two points FYI but not the area nor the elevation for more than 2 points

Just FYI : Waze is a Google app bought some years ago (https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waze). So even without trackers, it’s not an option for me on degoogled world (my point of view)

I can even say that sometimes satellite views in IGN (website or app) are more precise than G Maps

Yeah I think I had heard that before. I’m with you, better to go non-google.

That said, waze does work well on /e/ os, even with trackers blocked. I wonder how tied to google it is other that being owned by them. It definitely has far fewer trackers than google maps and is not as integrated in google services.

For Waze, if it’s owned by Google, you can’t do anything to block data sent directly to Google (to confirm by an expert) because even on /e/OS, you need communication to Google services even if they are reduced at the minimum required (push notification for exemple)

1 Like

Did anyone try to add Google maps satellite view over Osmand~ ? I tried but unfotunatelly, you can add more satellite view of pre-existing choice only, you don’t have the possibility to add tiles manually unlike OsmAnd (so add Google satellite view).
Does anyone know if it’s a limitation or bug?
I’m wondering if it’s possible too to add IGN satellite view which has a very good quality.