How to install E/OS/ on my new Fairphone 4?

I Don’t know where I shall put this question, so sorry if this is not the place.

I Just bougth a Fairphone 4, and as it is one of the smartphone supported, I want to get rid of Android and install E/OS/ instead.
My computer is running on Ubuntu, so I installed I/OS/ easy installer, and did everything he asked me to (having the phone in developper mod, enable file download, remove any Google account - there were none -) before plugin the phone (I know my USB cable work fine as I managed to transfer photos and music from my computer to the phone with it), as the next stage is easy installer recognizing the phone to start doing is job. But then, nothing, the soft never recognize the phone even if Ubuntu doest it, I tried waiting but in vain.
I searched how to do, but to no avail, it seem I matbe have to dowload some another soft first, but I don’t know which one or where and how to get them.
Can anybody help me ?

I Don’t know where I shall put this question, so sorry if this is not the place.

I Just bought a Fairphone 4, and as it is one of the smartphone supported, I want to get rid of Android and install E/OS/ instead.
My computer is running on Ubuntu, so I installed E/OS/ easy installer, and did everything he asked me to (having the phone in developer mod, enable file download, remove any Google account - there were none -) before plugin the phone (I know my USB cable work fine as I managed to transfer photos and music from my computer to the phone with it), as the next stage is easy installer recognizing the phone to start doing is job. But then, nothing, the soft never recognize the phone even if Ubuntu does it, I tried waiting but in vain.
I searched how to do, but to no avail, it seem I maybe have to download some another soft first, but I don’t know which one or where and how to get them.
Can anybody help me ?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

You might try

I already saw this faq, and the only solution for a phone not detected is on window, so not good for me.
My computer run on Ubuntu 22-04, my phone is a fairphone 4 with android 12 on it

Did Easy Installer attempt to guide you to get the Fairphone Bootloader Unlocking Code ?

As mentioned https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP4/install, section

Unlocking the bootloader.

Does the log confirm that the phone is not detected ?

1 Like

Did Easy Installer attempt to guide you to get the Fairphone Bootloader Unlocking Code ?

No, he did not. He made me put the phone on developer mode, then allow download of data on the phone, then remove any google account, before trying to detect my phone with no succes. I tried having it liked from the beginning or just at this moment, but both is noy working after waiting 10+ minute. If Easy Installer would have asked, I would have done it, but I’m not even there…

Does the log confirm that the phone is not detected ?

How can I check that ? Ubuntu see the phone when I plug it, as I was able to transfer media on it, but easy installer just wait without doing anything when it try to detect the phone. Maybe I have to download SBD or something else, don’t thoses thing are included with easy installer ?

Easy Installer should commence the log on starting, so the point of failure should become clearer. Easy Installer software is expected to be complete.

The location of the log is given in the “Troubleshooting” link.

Where to find the log

Find it, there is 12 different log files (I tried many time before asking here), but I really don’t understand what’s written in them, I can’t tell you if the device is detected or not. What should it looks like ?
On most of the files, there is a line about the “list of device attached”, who keep coming and coming after the first part. I guess that mean there is a trouble.

Seems ADB is a part of easy installer, so the problem do no come from here…

You can ^F (Find) “list of device attached” in the log file – it is often repeated many times (without problem) – but does it eventually resolve ?

I suggest you share the most recent log here with a paste service like https://paste.tchncs.de/.

Indeed ADB is included in Easy Installer and has the first tasks.

I don’t saw it resolving, nor it resolved on my PC. Did i did not wait long enough (around 15 minutes for the longest i think, with nothing moving on screen, hence why i though it froze).

Very handy, this copy/past link! Here : https://paste.tchncs.de/upload/wasp-crow

I think that all that I can tell from the above is that the Phone is not being presented to Easy Installer in the required state.

Probably not the issue – 2 to 3 minutes with no on screen activity would be expected maximum, unless waiting for you to perform some other action.

Please can you confirm the Easy Installer version declared at the top of the Easy Installer window, expected, current, v0.20

Yep, that the one. I downloaded it from Ubuntu software, it is the last version I believe. I should have gone trough Murena to buy a FP 4 with already E/OS/ installed on it, too late now. I guess I will try to find a smartphone shop who can install it (and it will certainly cost me), but just seing the wide eye of the people when I bought a Fairphone, I guess fiding a shop who even know what E/OS/ is will not be easy. Maybe I’m wrong, I hope so. No way I stay with Android, It’s actually finding about E/OS/ who convinced me of buying a new phone.

Alternatively Open Android Installer https://openandroidinstaller.org/supported-devices.html is also available for Fairphone 4.

What is this software ? As I guessed, none of the smartphone shop near my home can install E/OS/ on my phone, so i got to do it myself.

The project is quite well documented from the link ! :slight_smile:

As you say you are starting without a lot of background experience here is a Fairphone general warning. Take care if you have a recently updated Fairphone.

• On your Fairphone running FairphoneOS check Settings > About phone > Android version > Android Security Patch Level.
  • Check /e/OS Android SPL from Release Notes: https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/releases/-/releases. Search for “Security fixes” →

“This /e/OS v1.19.1 version includes the Android security patches available until December 2023”.

• Avoid attempting to downgrade Android SPL.

Note this issue becomes critical if you intend to relock the Bootloader after /e/OS install.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.