[HOWTO] Build /e/ without docker for non LineageOS supported devices

Hi,
Thank you @andrelam

As you mentioned, as I didn’t find e/os/android_device_lineage_sepolicy on gitlb.e.fodundation but I found it on LineageOS/android_device_lineage_sepolicy, I launched a find and grep on my local working directory to find that string, and I found a match on src/PIE/.repo/manifests/snippets, so I replace the affected line in the following way:

/srv2/src/PIE/.repo/manifests/snippets$ diff lineage.xml lineage.xml.original
7c7
<

I then re-launched the build script and the build process seemed to continue OK. As I running it on a old ubuntu laptop it is taking too, too long.

Do you think this ‘fix’ is ok?

Thank you for your support.

Btes regards,

in my previous post the ‘diff’ output was cut. It is the following: I replaced the line:
project path=“device/lineage/sepolicy” name=“e/os/android_device_lineage_sepolicy” remote=“e”
with:
project path=“device/lineage/sepolicy” name=“LineageOS/android_device_lineage_sepolicy”

Best regards

1 Like

Thank you @harvey186.

Before reading your answer and @andrelam’s , yesterday night I finally applied the ‘fix’ I have just described on my previous post.

Thanks for your support

Best regards,

The problem is fixed, the e/os/android_device_lineage_sepolicy repo on gitlab was set to internal, so it was not accessible. Sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like

Hello

I’m trying to build Pie for the mipad 4 (Clover). I’ve hit some errors, feels like i’m missing a key step somewhere.

Do I need to actually for lineage too?

[Tue Dec 3 23:18:49 UTC 2019] Starting build for clover, v1-pie branch
including vendor/lineage/vendorsetup.sh
build/make/core/product_config.mk:234: error: Can not locate config makefile for product “lineage_clover”.
23:18:54 dumpvars failed with: exit status 1
Device clover not found. Attempting to retrieve device repository from LineageOS Github (http://github.com/Li$
Repository for clover not found in the LineageOS Github repository list. If this is in error, you may need to$
build/make/core/product_config.mk:234: error: Can not locate config makefile for product “lineage_clover”.
23:18:55 dumpvars failed with: exit status 1
23:18:55 dumpvars failed with: exit status 1

** Don’t have a product spec for: ‘lineage_clover’
** Do you have the right repo manifest?

No such item in brunch menu. Try ‘breakfast’

[Tue Dec 3 23:18:55 UTC 2019] Failed build for clover
[Tue Dec 3 23:18:55 UTC 2019] Finishing build for clover
[Tue Dec 3 23:18:55 UTC 2019] Cleaning source dir for device clover
23:18:55 Entire build directory removed.

You need on one hand the lineage android sources. On the other hand you need device tree, vendor tree kernel and for some devices kernel-common sources (vendor and device) and on the third hand (am I and Alien with 3 hands :thinking:) you need the e sources.
Lineage and e sources are available and you have to find all from the second hand, fork it for your own, incl. it via manifest.xml.

But if your own sources are not for LOS builds, you have to edit a lot of files that they fit the lineage rules.

Have you ever build a e rom ? If not, I would prefer first building for an supported device to ensure, your building environment is OK.
Than you can check if your device/vendor sources are have the same names as the official ones. for example. you need to have a lineage-clover.mk. Also inside the make files there are a lot name specific rules which your sources must have.

Agree with @harvey186 first start a build for a supported device then once your environment is tested move on to an unsupported device.

thanks - Will give it a go fir dipper - I have it working with official build anyway but will try this first

I’m getting this error - which is about being out of memory. I have a VM on Vultr with 32GB of RAM & 640GB of HDD.

Edit - also tried on Google Cloud with similar specs but using s2 & v1-oreo as branch/build name - same issue

[Wed Dec  4 12:09:10 UTC 2019] Starting build for dipper, v1-pie branch
    ANDROID_JACK_VM_ARGS=-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -XX:+TieredCompilation -Xmx4G
    [Wed Dec  4 12:14:23 UTC 2019] Failed build for dipper

I’ve found this about the error https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/android_build/commit/d19166700666d7b84424187c0cdae67a9eb7659e?view=parallel&w=1

How do I stop the error?

Sorry, but i see NO error in your log ?!?!?!

ANDROID_JACK_VM_ARGS=-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -XX:+TieredCompilation -Xmx4G

Tried commenting this line out in the script, upping to 8G, 16G - both the same

sorry guys, that’s NO ERROR !!! That’s a command, not and error.

It’s part of the build script:

# Provide a default JACK configuration in order to avoid out-of-memory issues
export ANDROID_JACK_VM_ARGS="-Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -XX:+TieredCompilation -Xmx4G"

I’ve tried commenting it out but it still fails

because it is NO ERROR !!!

The build fails after this command

could you pls post your builde.sh on https://del.dog and herelhe link ?

it’s fresh as per the original post using s2 & Oreo

https://pastebin.com/L4v1XUAN

that’s couldn’t be YOUR builde.sh because it’s for S2 Oreo !!

Yes, you are building s2! for errors go to /srv/logs/

Oh i think he wants to test the build tree.