Howto troubleshoot issues with the easy-installer

As Manjaro Linux is based on Arch Linux I assume that this is more or less the package that gets installed for heimdall
https://archlinux.org/packages/community/x86_64/heimdall/

I’m rather sure it’s this dependency that makes all the difference:

• android-udev (optional) - Udev rules to connect Android devices to your linux box

Errno 13 means “access denied” and that’s exactly what the udev rules would fix.

Maybe the next person to run into this error could try installing “android-dev” instead of “heimdall” and report back if that works.

2 Likes

Hi,
I am trying to install from my computer with windows on my fairphone 3.
I am having problems with downloading the files. It downloads up to 100% and then the “try again” button appears and the green bar moves from side to side. no matter how long i wait or if i retry, nothing happens…

grafik

Can anyone help?

Hi @Jannaris welcome to the /e/ forum.

You might use the method where to find the log to see if you have similar to this issue Easy Installer reported to respond “Try later” due to mismatch of checksums.

1 Like

Hi,
thank you so much. This thread (Installer stops after downloading, no error or acknowledgement just a "Try again" button - #10 by tcecyk) describes my problem perfectly.
I followed the steps suggested by lma in the thread and it solved my problem!!

1 Like

Dear all, I also had the same issue as Jannaris, trying to flash my OnePlus 7 pro phone.
There are actually two different issues:

The first is a trivial one, with the graphical user interface: there is no good feedback when the checksum mismatches and the file has to be downloaded again. You just get a bouncing status bar with a “Try again” button and nothing else that indicates that something went wrong.

The second one that affected me, causes also the issue reported by Jannaris, I suspect.
What happens is that the /e/OS file and the /e/OS file’s checksum file that get downloaded are not the right ones.
Seems that this happens not due to easy-installer but due to outdated symbolic links on the repository.
For example, I run easy-installer today, and it downloaded these two URLs:
https://images.ecloud.global/dev/guacamole/e-latest-s-guacamole.zip
and
https://images.ecloud.global/dev/guacamole/e-latest-s-guacamole.zip.sha256sum
comparing the content of the downloaded files with the ones on the repository, seems that they point respectively to:
e-1.17-s-20231112351092-dev-guacamole.zip
and to
e-1.16-s-20231019342893-dev-guacamole.zip.sha256sum

So, the image zip file that gets downloaded seems the right one, but the .zip.sha256sum file that gets downloaded is an old one.

This could happen due to an outdated link e-latest-s-guacamole.zip.sha256sum on the server.

2 Likes

I did put in a bug report in 5 month ago, mainly for galaxy S7, but also for other supported phones.

One thing I find pretty bad, is you keep downloading, downloading… on a single day I burned 25gb of 40gb/per month plan, becausemy phone needs to serve as a hotspot…