I havn't updated my phone for years

Hi there,

I have a FP3 I havn’t used/updated for years. It’s on the v0.23 version and no updates are found. Is ther any way to update it smoothly or should I flash it again to get the 2.2 version ?

Thanks for your replies !

Hi @lhp22 welcome to this forum.

What is the version actually installed ? [HOWTO] Give complete /e/OS version info easily for support, answers, comparison etc
Is your bootloader open or locked ?

… by the system updater, so it could be a dev version

Backup as much as possible…(in case)

• Orthodoxe way is to follow Install /e/OS on a Fairphone FP3/3+ - “FP3”, with 2 notable differences : don’t unlock or relock your bootloader, and DON’T WIPE OR FORMAT ANYTHING ! during the process,

• but as “T” build generation include updated firmware parts, you should simply download this “recovery compatible” e-2.2-t-20240717417775-dev-FP3.zip (not the “fastboot compatible” IMG-e-2.2-t-20240717417775-dev-FP3.zip),
    Then, reboot to recovery and apply the update (upgrade in fact)

What I find when I look at the “/e/ version” is : 0.23-p-20220412177701-dev-FP3

…! …Wouaw… ! … a Record man …
i still run e-0.18-r-unofficial

I deduce that I really have to restart from nothing :'D

(Yes, it was at the very beginning)

No,
no need to go back to stock FairPhone OS

Using a FairPhone, no problem,
Using T builds, no problem,

Take a backup and try fist to simply dirty upgrade,
Even if coming from Pie (older than Q), you may be forced to format the /data partition at some time (not for sure)

Go direct to point (8) or (9) here :

Thanks for your replies !

1 Like

I will soon install upgrade my smartphone, and preparing for it.

I’m a bit lost between all the builds available. To avoid, here what I understood, please correct me if something is wrong.

I’ll use adb sideload method without flashing anything (all will be backed up). So I need the latest recovery partition, which is the 1.18 found here : /e/OS dev FP3 download . I’ll need the latest build too, which is the 2.3 .

I’ll jump to the recovery partition, sideload the 2.3 upgrade, and run.

Do I need to follow the set up of the recovery flash ? @piero said me to jump to the point 8. I’m not sure the recovery is set up already.

edit : I’ve tried to Power + Volume UP (shoud have done this before asking). I find a recovery partition where it’s written : “Android 9, Slot b, Lineage OS 0.23-p-20220412177701-dev-FP3” whit “Reboot”, “Apply update”, “Factory reset” and “Advanced” options.

Is it ok ? Or should I flash the recovery partition ?

Where is your downloaded
e-2.3-t-20240820427106-dev-FP3.zip ?
Into the phone or into the computer ?

For the moment, on my computer, but I can do both.

My questions are :

• Are the builds I’ve choosen correct ?
  • Do I need to flash my recovery partition ? Because it doesn’t like the one you show (I think the first recovery partition of /e/ OS was based one LineageOS one).

1 Like
  • to install from recovery, you need “e-2.3-t-2024xxxxx”, not " IMG-e-2.3-t-2024xxxxx"

• Your recovery screen have nicer look, but same features…

• Oh, thanks.
  • I really don’t want to make stupid things, I prefer asking.

I’ll do tomorrow, thanks for your patience !

I’ve just done the sideloading, and I fall in a boot loop.

adb sideloading ends at 47% (which is normal with what I’ve found). Rebooting, it reboots again and then I get the recovery screen given upper (the 2.3 /e/-OS one).

The recovery log is the following : recoverylog - Pastebin.com

It fails at “[ 0.045102] Failed to find/open a drm device: No such file or directory”

I have a strange news : I’ve unlocked the bootloader (wanting to give a try to a new update) and then … I could boot. Without nothing else than fastboot oem unlock.

Can you try to sideload again from there ?

Yes. I’ve tried to sideload several times from there.

And, in case that counts, I’ve been sure that I’ve sideload from both slot A and B.