I thinking going back to google

That is wy i am com back
Yesterday i have installed e./on my fairphone 3+🙂
I am now looking for a good launcher.

Hello.

OpenLauncher (from F-Droid) is simple, classical and works smoothly… Sometimes (rarely) freeze but left-bar allows to reboot launcher and solves immediately…

Omega Launcher is definitely worth a look and is kind of an improved version of Trebuchet. Get from F-droid if you first add the IzzyOnDroid Repo to F-droid by scanning the QR code and open the link in F-droid.

Then search for Omega

EDIT: Just looked up the github page for it. Scroll down for screenshots :grinning:

I use Lawnchair from F-Droid and I’m really happy with it.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ll ever go back to Google post /e/, however, I can’t say with 100% certainty I’ll stay with /e/. I love the S9 and S9+, however, I’ve had multiple instances of calls going direct to voicemail or texts being delayed by upwards of 20 minutes. Can’t figure out if it’s an /e/ issue or a Mint Mobile issue, and am considering an iPhone (which i know is not perfect from a privacy standpoint) simply because I need my phone to be a phone.
Other than that issue, I’m very happy with a privacy focused smartphone.

I have problems with sms on my S9 on Mint as well. However, I have found that if I am in an area with strong T-Mobile (Mint) coverage, the sms and mms problems do not appear. As soon as I lose a couple of bars of signal strength, the phone has difficulty sending/receiving both sms and mms messages. I DO NOT have a similar problem with my iPhone 12 Pro. It can send both iMessages and sms/mms on weaker signals using the T-Mobile (Mint) service. I am wondering if it is an OS issue. I have also found that the same SIM card in a Grapheneos Pixel 4a will NOT have problems with messages even though the signal is weak.

I had problems with the Spotify app recently, it would immediately crash. But after reading this, I re-installed it from Aurora and it works great now. Software is a tricky thing.

I’ve had better performance the past few days by disabling WiFi calling/ texting in the Mint app, as well as exempting Phone and Messages from my VPN and data saver. I’ll let you know how that works long term

My Fairphone 3+ runs now good whyt e.:smirk:

1 Like

Hello

I whas back to google but it dont feel good anymore.
So iam back whyt the e. And iam happy .

And i hope i stea ilong time🙂

1 Like

Welcome back @JBdV!
to me, not being (too much) dependend on g00gle or aaple is worth having less comfort :slight_smile:
If the camera app was working decently it would be almost pefect!

1 Like

Hello

I must confess that I am back to Google
Why?

Well I have been reading on this forum that it is very hard to update the Fairphone 3+ and that you have to reboot the system again and then you lose all your apps again.
Sorry /e/ but I don’t want to reboot my new Fairpone 3+ again and again and again😔.

So I am now back to Google but not the 100%

No I have al the Google apps out in settings system also I have quite the data from each app.
and also the background settings or out.

In the play store I have automatically updated from those apps out.

I have downloaded aurora store and F droid that are the stores that i yus now.

I hope that /e/ comes whyt over the are updates and I don’t have to reboot again.

So this is my update
Have I nice day
Greetings Jbdv

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

You are more and more peeving.

2 Likes

I must confess that I am back to Google
Why?

Well I have been reading on this forum that it is very hard to update the Fairphone 3+ and that you have to reboot the system again and then you lose all your apps again.
Sorry /e/ but I don’t want to reboot my new Fairpone 3+ again and again and again😔.

So I am now back to Google but not the 100%

No I have al the Google apps out in settings system also I have quite the data from each app.
and also the background settings or out.

In the play store I have automatically updated from those apps out.

I have downloaded aurora store and F droid that are the stores that i yus now.

I hope that /e/ comes whyt over the are updates and I don’t have to reboot again.

So this is my update
Have I nice day
Greetings Jbdv

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

= to upgrade it from Android 9 (Pie) to Android 10 (Q). Whether that’s very hard is subjective, here’s how.

= you have to wipe user data in the upgrade process.
A reboot is a simple restart of the phone.

As for regular OTA updates … they reboot the phone to boot into the updated OS, but they don’t do anything to user data, it just stays the same.

As for OS major version upgrades, see above … and how often do those upgrades come along? Once a year at most? An install from scratch is the cleanest and most trouble-avoiding approach to upgrade an OS from one major version to the next anyway, no OTA upgrade process ever works trouble-free for 100% of the users attempting it.

In any case, be sure not to confuse regular updates with major version upgrades.

They are working on the OTA updater to make it do OTA upgrades, too.
And if something fails on your phone, you could be in for at least a factory reset deleting your user data and the Apps you installed anyway, regardless of the OS you choose. Better be prepared for the possibility.

1 Like

@AnotherElk

can you please elaborate? I haven’t updated my FP3 since January. In this guide https://doc.e.foundation/q-upgrade-fp3 it is stated an upgrade will “wipe out data”.

1. How do i recognize an OTA update?
  2. It is a pain re-installing all APPS and loosing personal data each time an FP update is coming along. Why is a complete wipe neccessary at all?

Have been searching in the forum, but couldn’t find an answer to above questions. Please redirect me if i’ve missed the correct place for this.

There is a difference in terminology between an update and an upgrade here.

Whatever Android version you’re on, an update will update this same Android version with bug fixes, security patches, perhaps new features or feature changes etc. … the updates are identified with the date when they were built.

Upgrade in this context means to upgrade the major Android version you currently use to the next major Android version … for example from Android 9 to Android 10.
This is not trivial, it involves much more than a regular update involves.

You should get a notification from the system that an update is pending.
Else you can have a look in the updater in the Settings, currently at Settings - System updates, but the place in the Settings and the name can be subject to change.
As currently the OTA updater is only able to do updates and isn’t able to do upgrades, there currently is no confusion about what’s on offer there.

To make sure an update should be there (in case the system doesn’t offer it to you for some unknown reason), you can have a look at the available downloads at https://images.ecloud.global/dev/FP3/ for the “dev” release channel, or https://images.ecloud.global/stable/FP3/ for the “stable” release channel … if you are on Android 10 already.
If you are still on Android 9, then the list of releases should be the next best indication … https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/os/releases/-/releases. Keep in mind that “stable” updates get released several days later compared to “dev” updates (so the “dev” users can test an update a bit more before the “stable” users get it).

You can find out everything about the Android and /e/ version you currently use in Settings - About phone - Android version - /e/ version.
This currently tells me I’m using 0.17-q-20210529117214-dev-FP3.
This in turn tells me I’m using the update of /e/ version 0.17, Android 10 (“q”), built on May 29, 2021 (“20210529”), on the “dev” release channel, on the FP3 device (a Fairphone 3 or Fairphone 3+, they get the same OS builds).

Regular updates don’t wipe your data.
At least they are not intended to do this, but it’s software … I make a backup of everything important to me before every update just in case :wink: .

Currently the data wipe is necessary when following the manual process for doing the upgrade from Android 9 to Android 10 on the Fairphone 3/3+.

As for why … I don’t know, I’m not a developer.
Conceptually it takes one possible source of trouble out of the process, but I can’t imagine this being the technical reason behind it.
And it’s dependent on the device a bit. The brave of heart could try to upgrade their Fairphone 2 without the wipe of user data. I tried that myself with my Fairphone 2 actually, and it worked, but this doesn’t apply to the Fairphone 3, it’s a very different device.

4 Likes

Nova Launcher works perfectly. You can even register the Prime version with the gmail address and passcode after installing on /e/. You have to purchase it from the G Play Store initially.

I keep an old tablet here logged into G but never use it for anything except things like this.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.