Install adb and fastboot from /e/ documentation

Just came to my mind that you say that you dont wanna have nothing from Google in root, but if it is in Home , does it can take any data from Home? Just wondering

Thanks again so much for this night

1 Like

You might want to obscure your Device ID.

1 Like

There is another thing to do to have adb run nicely. https://developer.android.com/studio/run/device. In Ubuntu this amounts to

sudo usermod -aG plugdev $LOGNAME
apt-get install android-sdk-platform-tools-common

You could consider if there is some tidying up to do if …

Can you be certain (the time and date modified will be a clue and are they exact duplicates) these were created by you, in error. You need to be pretty certain any such suspect item was not provided by Ubuntu for use by some other job! One way (short of deleting any suspect item) is to rename it in a way you will remember; now it cannot be called accidentally, but you could still reinstate it easily if it is required. No need to charge ahead, make a note of any items you think are wrong or suspicious; sleep on it and come back to it.

1 Like

I can see that all that is mostly if I wanna do Apps, but is not the case now. I just like to use and test differents ROM.

And dot you think if I install the common tools will not start the connection with the device form here instead of the one in HOME?

if I install the common tools will not start the connection with the device form here instead of the one in HOME?

Negative, android-sdk-platform-tools-common is actually very small. You can double-check elsewhere but I believe it contains the udev.rules and little else. We chose to “provide” rather than apt install platform-tools. You can check what apt would have taken into account in seeing the “recommends” by doing:

cd platform-tools
apt show adb fastboot

Now you can decide to do the “recommends” if you wish.

1 Like

Package: adb
Version: 1:8.1.0+r23-5ubuntu2
Priority: optional
Section: universe/devel
Source: android-platform-system-core
Origin: Ubuntu
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Original-Maintainer: Android Tools Maintainers android-tools-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Bugs: OpenID transaction in progress
Installed-Size: 261 kB
Provides: android-tools-adb
Depends: android-libadb (= 1:8.1.0+r23-5ubuntu2), android-libbase, libc6 (>= 2.24), libgcc-s1 (>= 3.0), libstdc++6 (>= 6)
Recommends: android-sdk-platform-tools-common
Breaks: android-tools-adb (<< 6.0~)
Replaces: android-tools-adb (<< 6.0~)
Homepage: platform/system/core - Git at Google
Download-Size: 87.6 kB
APT-Sources: Index of /ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
Description: Android Debug Bridge
A versatile command line tool that lets you communicate with an emulator
instance or connected Android-powered device.
This package recommends “android-sdk-platform-tools-common” which contains
the udev rules for Android devices. Without this package, adb and fastboot need
to be running with root permission.

Package: fastboot
Version: 1:8.1.0+r23-5ubuntu2
Priority: optional
Section: universe/devel
Source: android-platform-system-core
Origin: Ubuntu
Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com
Original-Maintainer: Android Tools Maintainers android-tools-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Bugs: OpenID transaction in progress
Installed-Size: 187 kB
Provides: android-tools-fastboot
Depends: android-libadb, android-libbase, android-libcutils, android-libf2fs-utils, android-libsparse, android-libutils, android-libziparchive, libc6 (>= 2.15), libgcc-s1 (>= 3.0), libstdc++6 (>= 5.2)
Recommends: android-sdk-platform-tools
Breaks: android-tools-fastboot (<< 6.0~)
Replaces: android-tools-fastboot (<< 6.0~)
Homepage: platform/system/core - Git at Google
Download-Size: 58.5 kB
APT-Sources: Index of /ubuntu focal/universe amd64 Packages
Description: Android fastboot tool
A command line tool for flashing an Android device, boot an Android device to
fastboot mode, etc…

this is the version from Ubuntu

So I have just check if there was more files from old platform-toolsand they were not. Now I have write the 2 lines that you told me, Have install the common tools and stil my adb and fastboot is in the last version of the platform-tools

noax@noax:~$ adb version
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.41
Version 32.0.0-8006631
Installed as /home/noax/platform-tools/adb
noax@noax:~$ fastboot --version
fastboot version 32.0.0-8006631
Installed as /home/noax/platform-tools/fastboot
noax@noax:~$

Thanks my hero!!

1 Like

Thanks! IMHO this important detail really needs to be added to https://doc.e.foundation/pages/install-adb#add-the-path-to-you-pc-configuration as there is no indication in the guide about that at present which leads to much confusion.