Install fail /e/OS Samsung Galaxy Tab S6 Lite (LTE) - "gta4xl"

Hello e.community,

I have trouble trouble installing /e/OS on my S6 Lite. I am running Ubuntu on my PC and have all the required software installed (as listed in the online documentation on the e. website).

Up to “Installing the /e/OS Recovery on your gta4xl” everything went fine and then after successful install of the recovery file (recovery-e-1.11-s-20230511288805-dev-gta4xl.img) it falls apart. Point 6. Manually reboot into recovery just won’t work. Believe me, I have tried so often my fingers hurt. After powering off the immediate reboot just isn’t happening. Instead I get greeted with the message “This pone bootloader is unlocked and its software integrity can’t be verified. Any data on this phone may be vulnerable to attackers. Don’t store any important or sensitive information on this phone.” Then the screen switches to the normal Samsung splash screen with the added message on top “This phone is not running Samsung’s official software. You may have problems with features or security, and won’t be able to install software updates.”. These two screens then keep cycling through all the time. The only way to stop it is to get back into download mode by pressing Volume Down + Volume Up and connecting the USB cable to my PC. Then select lock bootloader. This is followed by a reboot with the standard splash screen and the line “Custom binary(RECOVERY) blocked by OEM lock.” on top.

Any idea where I went wrong and how I can get into recovery mode to finish the install? Thank you very much for your time and help. By the way, I only have basic LInux skills.

Thank you for your help,

Tubbs

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Hello e.community,

I have trouble trouble installing /e/OS on my S6 Lite. I am running Ubuntu on my PC and have all the required software installed (as listed in the online documentation on the e. website). Up to “Installing the /e/OS Recovery on your gta4xl” everything went fine and then after successful install of the recovery file (recovery-e-1.11-s-20230511288805-dev-gta4xl.img) it falls apart. Point 6. Manually reboot into recovery just won’t work. Believe me, I have tried so often my fingers hurt. After powering off the immediate reboot just isn’t happening. Instead I get greeted with the message “This pone bootloader is unlocked and its software integrity can’t be verified. Any data on this phone may be vulnerable to attackers. Don’t store any important or sensitive information on this phone.” Then the screen switches to the normal Samsung splash screen with the added message on top “This phone is not running Samsung’s official software. You may have problems with features or security, and won’t be able to install software updates.”. These two screens then keep cycling through all the time. The only way to stop it is to get back into download mode by pressing Volume Down + Volume Up and connecting the USB cable to my PC. Then select lock bootloader. This is followed by a reboot with the standard splash screen and the line “Custom binary(RECOVERY) blocked by OEM lock.” on top.

Any idea where I went wrong and how I can get into recovery mode to finish the install? Thank you very much for your time and help. By the way, I only have basic LInux skills.

Thank you for your help,

Tubbs

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

I think this post Your first boot into TWRP explains the situation you are in.

Hi aibd, thanks for the link. I had a stab at it, including the Volume Up + Down + Power triple hold, then release the Down when the screen goes black. However, no sale - I’m getting the same runaround as before. By the way, I have been following the steps on https://doc.e.foundation/devices/gta4xl/install. And the Tab S6 Lite is a German-market model. Well, see if I get any other tips.

Your device is slightly newer that when I wrote that.

The essence is to Soft reset, black screen as in OFF, then with no hesitation boot into recovery. We see in the page below that:

Boot Modes
Recovery

With the device powered off - Reboot and immediately hold Volume Up + Power while the device is connected to a PC via USB cable (my emphasis).

On https://doc.e.foundation/devices/gta4xl we see

Models Supported
SM-P615
Other models are not supported

Would you care to comment on anything you see or do not see at this stage;

heimdall flash --RECOVERY recoveryfilename.img --no-reboot

Hi aibd,

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes, it’s an SM-P615, the USB cable is connected to the PC, I have all the required software installed, I am using the right key combo to reboot, the screen goes black as described, followed by a (lightning!) quick change to Volume Up and Power and then I am greeted by the same two screens as before :frowning: Well, it was worth a try…

Hello aibd, just me again. I forgot to mention after the heimdall flash … command I get the PC and tablet do their thing and the terminal window ends on “Uploading RECOVERY, 100%, RECOVERY upload successful, Ending session …, Releasing device interface”. Sounds all tickety boo to me. Thanks again for your time, patience and reply.

Hello, I am having the same issue. I tried installing older versions of the recovery with no success. Just wanted to know if you ever found a way past this roadblock. Thanks.

Have you samsung android 12 based firmware as a base ?

You are not the only one having problem, this device (as recent sansung) is not the easiest one to install /e/ on it, but it is feasible

https://community.e.foundation/search?context=topic&context_id=50090&q=Install%20s6%20lite&skip_context=true

Is the above your “same issue” – we never really dealt with this or asked why OEM is not unlocked. This is not a failure I have seen, expressed this way, with Samsung.

I have read some times ago that Odin works for that device when Heimdall failed.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.