Installation- received a “< waiting for any device” message

Hi, Since I couldn’t find a section that was titled "installation of \e\OS I hope it’s ok posting this here.

I’m trying to install \e\OS on a Fairphone 4.

I went through the instructions step by step https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP4/install. However, in step 6 (unlocking the bootloader), I received a “< waiting for any device” message. And no other message was received on the phone or adb terminal (waited for about 10 minutes).
The bootloader didn’t respond with any message. Though it doesn’t mention anything in the instructions, I assume I should have seen a message that I then" Approve with volume + then power"?.

FYI, after I entered “adb reboot” in the PC terminal (whilst connected to the Fairphone OP), the device restarted in bootloader mode. If it’s relevant, at the bottom of the list it stated “Device status - Locked”

Also, I assume that “all the console commands are run on an adb enabled PC and in the adb console”- meaning in the adb folder in a terminal? For example, I’m running the command in the terminal "platform-tools> Because the phone does reboot from that adb terminal screen, I assume I’m doing that right.

Thanks for the guidance regarding what step I may have missed.

Windows 11.
Fairphone 4 OP
Platform-tools_r33.03-windows

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

Hi @Bongo welcome to the /e/ forum.

This is a Windows driver issue. Windows has installed a driver for the regular phone and not the “combination driver” which will work in fastboot mode. You could confirm if this is correct by opening a Device manager window and booting the device into bootloader and see if the phone now shows up as a " :warning: Problem device".

If so Windows update should fix it.

There might be the issue that you need to know how to know you are in Fastboot mode. Did you try fastboot devices (not in instructions) and get “waiting for device” at this point too? [1]

A search for “Fairphone waiting for device” gives 50+ results, you might find more there: Search results for 'Fairphone waiting for device order:latest' - /e/ community

(I moved your thread to a Fairphone section)

Later edit for other users finding this thread.

[1] fastboot devices does nothing to the device but it informs the user if there is full 2 way communication with the device or gives clues if further steps are required, before starting any important step in the reflashing process.

3 Likes

Hi aibd,

Installed thanks :grinning:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 15 days. New replies are no longer allowed.