Installed /e/ - first impressions. Apps? What?!

I’ve just installed /e/ on Nexus 5X and:

1. Im surprised that Nextcloud client is not installed by default. Yes, photos and videos sync, but…
  2. Magic Earth - well I use Maps (MAPS.ME).
  3. Apps - Oh dear, this is scary place. I quickly installed Aurora Droid and ran away. I thought this ROM is privacy focused but it offers official Facebook client to install (instead of SlimSocial for example). Come on, I recently installed regular LineageOS on Xperia and it came with FDroid preinstalled!
5 Likes

It OFFERS to install, does that mean you are obligated to do so? Is anyone pointing a gun to your head demanding you install official client instead of another one?

1 Like

You can always use apps that you want or are comfortable with. We will be introducing a ROM later this year with the bare minimum apps giving users the choice of installing what they prefer.Personally I am also looking forward to that version of /e/ :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s not about me. Many people don’t know about alternatives, and this ROM doesn’t offer them choice. They will blindly install Facebook, WhatsApp, just like they used to do via Play Store. No need for a gun.

3 Likes

“It’s not about me” :sweat_smile:
I don’t want to be rude but it seems that you want a ROM with your favorite apps installed. You’re surprised that it offers to install facebook but also that Nextcloud or Maps.me aren’t installed…?
The main purpose of /e/ is to remove Google pre-installed services and rely more on Open Source solutions, that’s all :slight_smile:
Everything is written here https://e.foundation/about-e/

So let’s enjoy the work /e/ does and if there are some apps that doesn’t suit us, we can always uninstall them and download the ones we like.

It is really not about me. Im happy with LineageOS with Gapps. Yes, Gapps from Google evil. I dont use google account (I have private emai and nexcloud) or location services so it doesn’t really bother me. I didn’t notice improvement in battery life when I tried microG and I use banking app which does not work with microG.

I was looking for privacy concerned solution for friends and family, people less tech savvy, android+email+cloud, and /e/ is good candidate but only when Apps is replaced with Aurora Droid.

1 Like

Dear @kontakt , to add to the previous posters, /e/ is all about options. It comes pre-installed with only privacy-focused, open-source apps. However, it wants to offer the possibility to also install other apps, including all apps in the Android app universe, for mainstream users (like me). In my opinion, this is a brilliant middle ground for an OS these days.
best
Rik

4 Likes

to reply to your suggestion to replace the /e/ app store with Aurora, /e/ is already better and has more potential in my view, because of:

• Fdroid apps are also present in the /e/ app store
  • PWAs will be present soon in the /e/ app store
  • the /e/ app store gives score for privacy

so i think the /e/ app store should stay!

3 Likes

If you don’t like /e/ Apps, you can uninstall them without danger { adb shell pm uninstall -k --user 0 foundation.e.apps }. The Aurora Droid installation does not cause any problems.

Future versions of /e/ OS will bring much more flexibility. The ideas of the /e/ OS Build Team are already very concrete.

It’s also not easy for me to be patient sometimes. But there is a lot of detail work to be done, and it just takes time …

4 Likes

As I mentioned already it’s not about me but people with less technical skills looking for privacy oriented solution. Go to Apps and search for Facebook then go to Aurora Droid and do the same. See the difference? Most people will not because they don’t know what F Droid is.

My hobby is to help people with less technical skills, if they are interested in a data protection oriented solution. But that only works if these people are willing to let go of the old and learn something new. I can see in my environment that this is a tough process.

2 Likes

I think you did not quite understand the Goal of the /e/ project

2 Likes

The goal is clear. Everything is in manifesto. " Privacy is a fundamental right" “open source” “We build mobile operating systems, apps and code that put users’ privacy first before profit” etc. I just still don’t understand how these ideas suppose to work with Apps store.

1 Like

If you don’t like /e/ Apps, you can uninstall them without danger { adb shell pm uninstall -k --user

Again, I know how to use adb but most people don’t. Anyway for comparison: Google Play Store can be simply DISABLED with one tap

1 Like

As a sidenote maps.me is a part of the mail.ru group and it collects all kinds of user data:
https://legal.my.com/us/maps/privacy/

Many people use OsmAnd on e, it also works with offline maps.

I meant Maps from FDroid, (based on MAPS.ME), not the one from Play Store

https://f-droid.org/en/packages/com.github.axet.maps/

The Aurora Droid installation does not cause any problems.

The problem is that one needs root access to install F-Droid Privileged Extension. So the best solution is to include it in ROM as system app along with F-Droid/Aurora Droid
(Again: I know how to root but most people don’t. And probably don’t want to.)

1 Like

I don’t see it that way. All my /e/ phones are not rooted. Nevertheless F-Droid App Store and its privileged extension is installed as System App.This installation can also be done by a non-technical user via TeamWin - TWRP Recovery and “Install” NanoDroid-fdroid*.zip execute.

Of course, a little initiative is already required. But the current /e/ users are willing to do so anyway.

1 Like

By constantly repeating your theses, the truth content is not substantiated.

2 Likes

Sigh. I will keep eye on this project. Maybe one day?..[Log out]

1 Like