Installing /e/ on a Pixel 5.0 sailfish questions

I will be installing the latest image offered for /e/ from the repository on a Google Pixel 5.0 and I will follow these instructions: https://doc.e.foundation/devices/sailfish/install

My two questions are:

1. I have Android 10 installed now. Do I need to downgrade the firmware by installing the last image from Google for Android P?
  2. Is it still a good idea not to lock the bootloader after installation?

To 1: downgrade from 10 to 9 should work

To 2: you can’t lock the bootloader after flashing any custom rom

Thanks for the info.

I tried to downgrade from Android 10 to 9 with no luck.

OTA images from Google fail as expected. Wrong dates.

Using factory images and unlocking the bootloader I used the flash-all.sh (I’m using Linux) and this exited with error:

mke2fs 1.44.1 (24-Mar-2018)
/tmp/TemporaryFile-lCpyRi: Unimplemented ext2 library function while setting up superblock
/usr/lib/android-sdk/platform-tools/mke2fs failed with status 1
mke2fs failed: 1
error: Cannot generate image for userdata

I went back and started from scratch and sideloaded another OTA image that had been released in December 2019 and my Pixel was October 2019 but I was not offered the December update on my phone. This should have reset everything I might have changed.

Any suggestions?

It could be an issue from fastboot you have installed. Is it from your distro or from Google Android Studio. ? You should install the latest from Android Studio

How to Downgrade Your Phone from Android 10 to Android 9 (Pixel 3 crosshatch)

I am using fastboot and adb version 1:8.1.0+r23-5~18.04 from Ubuntu apt repositories. I used thes to flash a Samsung S6 Edge and a Nexus 5x

Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.39
Version 1:8.1.0+r23-5~18.04
Installed as /usr/lib/android-sdk/platform-tools/adb

I installed the complete Android Studio 2 times on my main computer and once on a different computer.

If I install Android Studio I do not have access to adb or fastboot and I understand adb and fast boot are included with Studio so maybe my installation is wrong.

Thanks for the help but this is over my head. I have flashed /e/ on a Samsung S6 edge and a nexus 5x so I’ll just stick to those for now.

Here is the entire output if anyone cares to follow up:

~/Pixel/sailfish-pq3a.190801.002$ ./flash-all.sh image-sailfish-pq3a.190801.002.zip
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending ‘bootloader_b’ (32424 KB)…
OKAY [ 1.091s]
writing ‘bootloader_b’…
(bootloader) Valid bootloader version.
(bootloader) Flashing active slot “_b”
(bootloader) Flashing active slot “_b”
OKAY [ 1.701s]
finished. total time: 2.792s
rebooting into bootloader…
OKAY [ 0.050s]
finished. total time: 0.100s
sending ‘radio_b’ (57156 KB)…
OKAY [ 1.863s]
writing ‘radio_b’…
OKAY [ 0.457s]
finished. total time: 2.319s
rebooting into bootloader…
OKAY [ 0.050s]
finished. total time: 0.100s
extracting android-info.txt (0 MB)…
extracting boot.img (29 MB)…
archive does not contain ‘boot.sig’
archive does not contain ‘boot_other.img’
archive does not contain ‘dtbo.img’
archive does not contain ‘dt.img’
archive does not contain ‘recovery.img’
extracting system.img (1949 MB)…
archive does not contain ‘system.sig’
extracting system_other.img (313 MB)…
archive does not contain ‘system.sig’
archive does not contain ‘vbmeta.img’
extracting vendor.img (259 MB)…
archive does not contain ‘vendor.sig’
archive does not contain ‘vendor_other.img’
wiping userdata…
mke2fs 1.44.1 (24-Mar-2018)
/tmp/TemporaryFile-5wpZSw: Unimplemented ext2 library function while setting up superblock
/usr/lib/android-sdk/platform-tools/mke2fs failed with status 1
mke2fs failed: 1
error: Cannot generate image for userdata

Thanks for the pointer. I did read those instructions when I was doing this. I also read a few others.

Sorry, I’m now a little confused. What are you trying to do? Flashing stock rom or eOS ?
flash-all.sh is for stock rom, as for as I know from my MI devices.
When I’m reading the
archive does not contain ‘boot.sig’
I think you stock rom zip is not the right one for your device.
Could you share a link from where you have this zip ?

I am trying to downgrade from Android 10 to 9 on a Google Pixel 5.0. I have tried 2 different images from the Android 9 series.

Images and instructions from here: https://developers.google.com/android/images#sailfish

Specifically images: 9.00 (PQ3A.190801.002, Aug 2019) and 9.0.0 (PQ2A.190305.002, Mar 2019)

I have read other instructions as well including the one posted above.

I am going to keep using my S6 Edge for now so don’t spend much time on it. When I get back to my country in March and I have more time I’ll work on it again or buy a different phone.

Solved… Maybe

I had a few minutes and thought that maybe I could boot into TWRP and install an Android OTA v9 this way.

I booted the Pixel into TWRP for sailfish and followed the /e/ documentation instructions to install /e/. I could Format Data and then I could Wipe System but not cache. There was no option to check for cache. I went ahead and completed the Wipe portion and then went to Advanced and selected ADB Sideload. Once the phone was waiting for the file I sent an OTA Android 9 to flash. This completed and I rebooted to Google Android 9. (there was not mention of a cache partition missing)

Once I had Android 9 installed I rebooted into TWRP again and followed the instructions for installing /e/. Again there was no option to wipe a cache partition. I sent e-0.7-p* and when it finished the phone rebooted to /e/. There was a red letter warning of failing to write to the cache partition at the end of e-0.7-p* sideload.

Is the missing cache partition a problem? If so can it be fixed easily? (novice here)

I have internet connectivity with browser and email syncs. Calendar does not sync. I’ll look into the calendar problem later.

Edit: The installation instructions on LineageOS differ from what /e/ shows. lineage shows to wipe system only there is no mention of wiping cache.

The Pixel 5.0 is Redfin. The Pixel is Sailfish.

I think the “5.0” reference here is about the screen size (Pixel 1: sailfish: 5.0 screen), not the model.

Kind of a hijacking here, and maybe the question would be more appropriate in the “weekly updates topic”, but anyway: the Pixel 1 is definitively dropped out from future upgrades? In Lineage there is a 18.1 version available: LineageOS Downloads