Last step to install e/ on FP4 falling

Hello,

I have a problem for finishing the installation of the E/ on my fairphone 4: the last step does not work at all. I use that page to do it: Install /e/ on a Fairphone FP4 - “FP4”
I’m on mac, so I use terminal for commands.

I did everything, all going well until the last part
"## Installing /e/

Installing /e/ using IMG or image file

1. Boot your FP4 in bootloader mode, and plug it to your computer (OK)
  2. On your computer, download the zip file from the link provided above. Unzip the folder and browse into it"
    This last sentence never had sense for me: what should I browse into what? So, I try to put the folder unzip into the terminal, and it just said “:is a directory”. So I tried writing the commands listed, first all of them then just one, but for the same result “-bash: fastboot: command not found”
    Looking for a solution here, I find someone talking about “a” and “b” of the different lines, but I don’t understand what solution is was explaning. So I tried different way of writing it, but the result is always the same.
    Here’s all the thing I tried on terminal (I did again all the step to show here what I’ve done and show that I don’t miss any step, but I can seems to finish the installation)

Last login: Sun Feb 6 20:17:42 on ttys001

iMac-de-Audrey:~ audreyboquie$ cd /Users/audreyboquie/Desktop/platform-tools

iMac-de-Audrey:platform-tools audreyboquie$ ./adb devices

List of devices attached

5381e267 device

iMac-de-Audrey:platform-tools audreyboquie$ ./adb reboot bootloader

iMac-de-Audrey:platform-tools audreyboquie$ ./fastboot devices

5381e267 fastboot

iMac-de-Audrey:platform-tools audreyboquie$ ./fastboot flashing unlock

FAILED (remote: ’ Device already : unlocked!’)

fastboot: error: Command failed

iMac-de-Audrey:platform-tools audreyboquie$ ./fastboot flashing unlock_critical

FAILED (remote: ’ Device already : unlocked!’)

fastboot: error: Command failed

iMac-de-Audrey:platform-tools audreyboquie$ fastboot flash bluetooth_a bluetooth.img

-bash: fastboot: command not found

iMac-de-Audrey:platform-tools audreyboquie$ fastboot flash bluetooth bluetooth.img

iMac-de-Audrey:platform-tools audreyboquie$ fastboot flash bluetooth_b bluetooth.img

iMac-de-Audrey:platform-tools audreyboquie$ ./fastboot flash bluetooth_b bluetooth.img

fastboot: error: cannot load ‘bluetooth.img’: No such file or directory

iMac-de-Audrey:platform-tools audreyboquie$ ./fastboot flash bluetooth_a bluetooth.img

iMac-de-Audrey:platform-tools audreyboquie$ ./fastboot flash bluetooth bluetooth.img

iMac-de-Audrey:platform-tools audreyboquie$

Yes, I tried differents formulations but none of them works. So if somebody can help me understand what I’m doing wrong or how to finish the install I will be really relief. Thanks

You are getting confused with the locations of files. The commands you execute in a terminal see the files on your computer from a specific point in the directory tree. And you have to specify where to find stuff. The terminal will not guess, because this could lead to execution of completely unintended stuff.

There is some folder where the fastboot executable is. This is also the folder from which you seem to run your commands, because fastboot fails and ./fastboot at least runs the program. ./ is the terminal way to say “look right were you are”. The file you want to flash is not found, so I suspect it is not where you (implicitly) tell the terminal it is.

To fix this, open a normal file explorer and move the file you want to flash exactly to he same location as the fastboot executable.
The the command should run with ./fastboot in front and the filename after it.

Ok, I thought about that, and at one point I put the folder with all the .img inside the folder “platform-tools”. But it doesn’t change anything. They both on my destock. Do you say that I should put directly the “.img” in “platform-tools”? Actually, it’s make every sense! lol

Yes, exactly that.

Or preface the file name with <nameofthefolder>/ (no space between / and filename, and not including the <>) to tell the terminal to consider this folder.

Yes, I did put the .img in the folder and it works!! Thanks to you I have my brand new degoogled fairphone 4. I wich you the best in life, thanks a looot, I spend my day trying that!

1 Like