Lineage connectivity check

Hello everyone,

I notice that the connectivity check on Lineage OS now create a connection on google.com.
Before it was just a HTTP GET on connectivitycheck.gstatic.com but now there is an HTTPS connection to google.com and I do not know if it is part of the connection check and if it is sending data.
My lineage build is whithout any google services, on the 17.1 branch.
Is this a normal behavior ? Is this patched on e ?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

1 Like

Sorry, but we are here for eOS not for Lineage.

In eOS these call’s should be removed

Better asking in Lineage forum

I think he is asking if these calls to Google are patched on /e/. I think they are??

Yes, they are. But eOS has no Android 10 build.

Yes that could be a problem :grinning: :grinning:
You could probably build one for him.

For LOS Is this a normal behavior. For /e/ OS this was a “normal behavior” until summer 2019. The connectivity check is now Google-free. The related issue (#268) in the GitLab instance of / e / was closed in September 2019.

Tags: Pi-Hole v5.0 · Per-client blocking · Creating filter lists for websites · Block unwanted servers and websites

2 Likes

Thank you @archje @harvey186 @vernr

Yes, my question was actually specific on the HTTPS connection and I think it is related to the DEFAULT_HTTPS_URL variable as you pointed !

Big issue anyway, the file
android_frameworks_base⁩ ▸ ⁨services⁩ ▸ ⁨core⁩ ▸ ⁨java⁩ ▸ ⁨com⁩ ▸ ⁨android⁩ ▸ ⁨server⁩ ▸ ⁨connectivity⁩ ▸ NetworkMonitor.java is gone in android 10.

Looks like it is replaced by android_frameworks_base⁩ ▸ ⁨services⁩ ▸ ⁨core⁩ ▸ ⁨java⁩ ▸ ⁨com⁩ ▸ ⁨android⁩ ▸ ⁨server⁩ ▸ ⁨ConnectivityService.java Line 254

But this file does not contain anything about google.com, only connectivitycheck.gstatic.com :frowning:

I don’t really understand the issue here.
You are referring to the codebase of Android 10 which is not yet available for /e/-OS at all.
So where is the relation to /e/?
And I’m sure, that once development for Android 10 starts, that connectivity checks to Google are removed here too.

Hello @exyna

Obviously the problem will appear very soon since this version of android is already old and google is now working on version 11.

Why should the problem start to appear very soon? Once the /e/-devs start to develop /e/-OS 10 or even 11, they will fork the AOSP/Lineage codebase and adjust the source code to their own needs.

So it doesen’t matter what Google is doing on their side. There will always be calls to Google servers in the AOSP code and also in the Lineage code (as long as Lineage does not focus on being google-free) because they are seperate operating systems and not related to /e/. These calls will then be removed by the /e/-devs when they develop new versions of /e/-OS.

If you for example compare the codebase of /e/-OS pie with the corresponding Lineage version, you will notice that the connectivity check of Lineage still uses Google servers while /e/ uses its own servers. That’s what the devs are calling “Ungoogling” - identifying unwanted google calls in upstream code and removing/replacing them in their own source.

2 Likes

@exyna agree, it has nothing to do with eOS. eOS is maximal on pie.

create a issue on gitlab so it can assigned to a dev. And he can have a look when implementing 10 to eOS sources

@exyna, very well formulated and to the point.

The change from /e/ OS v1-Pie to v1-Q will have to come. Then again /e/ need to first remove the ‘calling home’ code from 1Q.

But first of all, /e/ must make a clear decision about which devices should be supported in the near future.

This G°-annoyance is unfortunately not the only one on /e/ websites. And it’s been known for a long time already. /e/ has to try harder and finally change that!

I browse primarily with my host machine on /e/ websites and the WWW. My router blocks a lot of these “bad” sites via Blacklist.

Erm, did I miss something or what are you talking about right now? What do you mean with “mail” and “bitching about /e/”?

Still don’t understand the context of your post as there isn’t a new answer from reinar yet and you answered to my post.

@harvey186 Ok, I will do that !

Please everyone, It was just a little message about a little problem that may appear in the future, I do not want anyone to argue about something like this…

Yes, I hope so !

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.