[LIST] Devices we plan to upgrade to /e/OS S

By default, manual install instructions will include steps which wipe user data.
Being manual instructions, you would still have to follow them yourself, though, giving you the choice to leave steps out which wipe user data.
Unlocking/locking the bootloader will not let you keep user data.

How does that not make any sense?

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification. Now i got it.

The default is: manual flashing will wipe the user data. The user can skip the steps of wiping the data on his on discretion at the risk of seeing “undefined behaviour” afterwards.

Although i understand why it is the way it is (Lineage-Dependency, the situation is kinda disappointing for me.
I’ve paid a premium price for a low-end device by purchasing the 2e directly from Murena with /e/ preinstalled.
The two main reasons where:

• I don’t want to mess around with manually flashing the device. A smartphone is a productivity device for me, i just need to get the things done.
  • I need a device with a long warranty/support.

At the moment i have a phone - purchased a few month ago - with an unclear update path. Afaik Android 11 will be EOL by Google in September 2023 - this is just 1 year left.
If there will be an update, it will (at the current state of afairs) require manual flashing. The easy installer supports the 2e - but i have no clue how “easy” this procedure is as i deliberately decided to not go this way.

1 Like

@Manoj I have bought a Samsung Galaxy S9+ from Murena less than a year ago (and it is currently still sold in the shop). As it is still on Android 10 which will probably get no security patches anymore in the non too distant future and you are surely not selling phones that are soon going to be abandoned security wise, I assume that the phone will be updated to a new version of Android although it is missing from the list?

4 Likes

Early next year probably, if prior Android is any indication.

3 Likes

I’m also hoping for more upgrades for the S9+. Is there an “end of life” chart somewhere? I found Smartphone Selector but it doesn’t say when support ends for particular models.

I suppose that if the device is itself not upgrade on lineageOS on android 12 it will never be upgrade on /e/os S unless on unofficial build.
Am I right ?

You are fairly right in general. It is device specific though. You have mentioned a Samsung once before so let’s have a look.

Example There was a point where Lineage seemed to just drop support for some Samsung devices (speculating – users were coming across random errors – fixes were found difficult). Not only were builds ceased but some of the repos just disappeared.

We find no build for Samsung S8 dreamlte here Devices | LineageOS Wiki
and no repo for dreamlte here LineageOS ¡ GitHub

For Samsung S8 dreamlte /e/ has been stuck at Oreo for some time as devs try to get an upgrade done.

Resources

I don’t want to be more specific, but one would probably have to chase down the facts accurately for a device before saying it won’t happen. Official /e/ can surly be built on good Unofficial Lineage.

3 Likes

Yes you are perfectly right, it was more a question based on the fact of the dependence of /e/ bone on LOS.

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

Yes and I know that an unofficial LOS build for samsung S9 already exist on android 12:

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-unofficial-12-ota-oss-lineageos-19-1-for-galaxy-s9-s9-exynos.4404037/

1 Like

My view would be that the device specified by /e/ would not rely on outside support and could expect to be updated.

I don’t know sufficient about the new Murena phone to identify it on this list

1 Like

Did I understand correctly if I say that with only manual flashing available to upgrade to Android 12, there are two options: wiping all data from my device, or skip some steps to keep my data and pray that everything goes well?

I think that’s a bit scary…Not everyone feels comfortable with flashing hardware.

2 Likes

Can you also add the LG Q7(LM Q167EM)?
'Cause I have to use android 8 and many apps are not compactible

Please add support for Redmi Note 5 pro, too.

2 Likes

Any possibility for Samsung s9 plus exnos?

Thank you…

1 Like

Could you please add as well Motorola Moto G50 (Ibiza) to the list :pray:

1 Like

Waiting for Oneplus 8 instantnoodle to the list!

1 Like

I just found this discussion here. So, to get the newest Version I have to manually flash my device and they will lose all the data/apps? :thinking:

Wow, recently I convinced my family to install /e/OS on their phone. And now I have to tell them that I have to reset their phone again to install the newest Update? :dizzy_face:

No other option? OTA not possible?

Best regards,
Bernhard

2 Likes

If you are referring to the upgrade to Android 12, then yes, for now.

Regular OS updates within the same underlying Android version continue to come OTA, as long as there is update support.

An OTA upgrade to a new underlying Android version has to be prepared for a specific device, which is complicated and takes time.

Efforts are ongoing for selected devices, status is given here … https://community.e.foundation/tag/development-updates

1 Like

maybe next time I should be more specific in my post. :smiling_face:
Yes I was talking about the Upgrade.

Thanks for clarifying this.

With this situation I can live (more or less) The question is only how long will there be support for Android 11 then. But I guess, this depends pretty much on Lineage OS, no?

how is the evaluation process which device will get the OTA Upgrade possibilty? Most used devices?

Hello! I am having a hard time following this thread / update to the Android 12 timing. I read some where that it’s in process and done Oct i think? Is there any specific dates for the update for the list of devices? Thank you!

Updated the ETA to October.

1 Like