Microsoft Exchange Support in Mail App Is it required?

Perhaps the MAPI proprietary protocol? I’m really asking since I’ve never used it and cut off Microsoft out of my life some 15 years ago :slight_smile:

I agree with @harvey186, exchange support really makes sense, but if this muddles up the time schedule, postpone it to post v1.0. Just make it transparent with a notification within the email app to possible Exchange users that this feature is scheduled for later.

2 Likes

Formally, I agree with doing this (reading my last post, I can see my position was ambiguous)

Consensus looks like putting in the fix in Mail to handle Exchange as well.
Would be good if a user with good development skills would be willing to take up Gaël 's offer to work on this for a bounty :slight_smile:
Else as @ralxx said we will have to put a timeline to take this up post v1 in Feb 2020.

1 Like

So my conclusion is: low interest for individuals, higher interest for corporate users.
We will do this development only if we can get it financed by a corporate user or similar.
For others, solutions exist, like using Microsoft clients, or adding a specific gateway to the Exchange infrastructure.
Regarding the tracker issues in MS client apps, users can probaly use Blockada or similar to cut those trackers, and we have a tracker blocker in the development pipe for 2020.
Thanks to all for the interesting feedback!

@rhunault FYI

3 Likes

I have found a way to have Exchange email and calendar support without having to use an app with trackers, and wanted to post here becaues it’s probably of interest to the folks on this thread.
First off, I have never been able to get my employer’s Exchange-based email to work on the stock /e/ mail app using imap protocol (which I prefer). I had been using Bluemail because of this reason, but did not like the trackers. However, I recently found that Purism’s Librem Mail app (available on F-droid) does work with my Exchange email, so I switched to it (I haven’t tried stock K-9, so I don’t know if that works).
Just recently, I realized that I could get Exchange calendar syncing using CalDAVsynchronizer, a plugin for Outlook on my work PC that allows you to push-pull calendar events to-from a CalDAV server. I created a calendar on my /e/ account through NextCloud, and synced my Outlook to that calendar. Then, using the DAVx5 app (on F-droid), I was able to sync the Outlook calendar on my /e/ account to my phone’s /e/ Calendar app. Everything used here was FLOSS! Also, although I haven’t tried it yet, I’m fairly certain you can sync contacts in the same way using the CardDAV protocol. To some, doing this may be obvious, but I was happy to figure it out. Hopefully someone else on here will find it useful!

1 Like

Also, you should know that there is a promising app in the works for this, called TrackerControl. It is early days, though. You may have seen the thread:

Hi guys, please keep in mind that if a company is using Office365, they usually will use the Microsoft MDM (Company Portal) to be somehow GDPR-compliant. But this you cannot install as well at the moment (at least on my Pixel 1 - even if you want to use Microsoft Outlook).

If they want be GDPR complient they should give you a compaby phone or writing an app which uses a ‘work profile’ with their company IT aporoved apps.
That’s what a SOX complient company is doing. I was working in IT for such a company for 35 years

I personally need Exchange or ActiveSync (but only for Calendar synchronisation). So, no external app is going to help me with that I guess…

1 Like

See my post above. This approach has been working well for me to get my work Exchange calendar onto my /e/ phone.

Outlook? FLOSS? I think Outlook is the opposite of FLOSS.

yeah, I’ve seen it. I don’t like to donate my data to Microsoft either. and no, it’s not my calendar, and no, I can’t get the other company to change it’s business habits just because of me.

Apologies, I must have misunderstood something about your situation, or about the relationship between Outlook, Exchange and ActiveSync. I will just point out that in no way does my setup provide any phone/tracking data to Microsoft. The only data that goes to Microsoft in my setup is the specific calendar entries for my work calendar.that I create on my phone (which is what I want to happen). If that was not what you were after, then please ignore my post.
It is, of course, a valid point that Outlook is not FLOSS. I can see how my language may imply that, though that was not my intent. I was referring to the other software being FLOSS, with the understanding that most people know that Outlook is not FLOSS. I will edit so as not to confuse anyone.
EDIT: Oops, too late to edit the above post, evidently. We’ll just have to hope for the best…

Hi @GaelDuval,

Did you already make a final decision on this?

I’ve got to connect to a shared outlook account. Email can be done via IMAP but there’s no open source solutions in Android that I’ve found for the calendar and tasks, so if you’re going to put effort into it I think calendar and tasks are where you’d make the biggest impact.

Cheers :slightly_smiling_face:

Pls have a look here Microsoft Exchange Support in Mail App Is it required?

That’s the same thread as this one.

It would be nice to be able to use work emails without shelter and the Outlook app.

It wound be even nicer to use any app knowing that /e/ can intercept and disabled tracking and other leaks.

Have been toying for some time with moving to /e/, which looks really great. What has stopped me so far are the challenges with syncing /e/ with Exchange 365 (How to connect /e/ to Exchange365 server?). Sorry for only chipping in now with my two cents worth, had given up for some time, but am happy that @Manoj pointed me here to this discussion.

Even though this thread started about the email client, some posts included also other components Exchange brings along like calendar and address book, which would be great to include in the native sync as well, because Exchange comes as “package”. For me personally, it’s less about having Exchange emails on my phone. Rather syncing calendar, address book and tasks are essential for me. When testing /e/ on an old phone (/e/ 0.8-20200415…), I can find “Google”, but nothing comparable on Exchange under /e/'s Settings --> Accounts --> add account. Lineage OS has an “Exchange” account option (along google and a few others), which is at least for me a “one-stop-shop” for everything Exchange related. There I can select what to sync (in my case everything but email), which works great even with my employer’s Exchange 365 and its own sign-in infrastructure. I wish something would become part of /e/, as well, as this would be a game changer at least for me. I’d be surprised, if I am the only one in this situation who would like to see an Exchange 365 support beyond emails out of the box on /e/ without much tinkering or intermediaries like NextCloud.

As simple employee, I’m afraid, I don’t have much say in what kind of IT infrastructure my employer uses (Exchange 365, would have voted for FOSS alternatives if anyone had asked me :grinning:) and I think it’s highly unlikely that I can convince them to make money available for helping /e/, as @GaelDuval (and I & possible many more) would like to see…

(BTW, the out-of-the box blocking in /e/ of standard trackers in apps that was mentioned above sounds very interesting!)

2 Likes

FWIW I add my vote to include default Exchange support, as I have several email accounts and alas two of them are Exchange (ActiveSync) based accounts.

I tried Purism’s Librem Mail app, but it requires a Librem account to actually use it. So I went ahead and registered, chose the free option, then the app kept crashing. So for me at least Librem email client is not a good solution.

1 Like

For the reference, unless disabled by organization’s administrator, O365 can be reached at
IMAP
Server name: outlook.office365.com
Port: 993
Encryption method: TLS
SMTP
Server name: smtp.office365.com
Port: 587
Encryption method: STARTTLS
iCAL : get a .ics link by sharing your calendar in O365 user settings

1 Like