More and more Bugs / about to give up / How to reports

Dear /e/
I have been using /e/ for nearly a year. Patiently waiting for each update to fix bugs and improve the experience.
The last few updates brought more troubles than they solved.

3 months ago I gave up Iphone and switched to /e/ (on PH1 Essential), I am about to go back to IOs.
/E/ in real life is not yet satisfying.

Mainly:

• Unable to move apps from one screen to another without being a ninja
  • “/e/ drive has stop” now and then
  • Widgets causing launcher to crash
  • Add Widget to home screen causing crash
  • Unable to run many apps (mainly using location) such as Uber, city bus, …
  • Unstable app (Evernote)
  • Unable to run any google app ( in know… but in some countris OSM is simply not a workable option.

Before i give it a break, i am willing to send you all the bug reports.
Please provide a link to a How to so that I can lean how to report the bugs to you.

Thanks

1 Like

Hi @Pistou sorry to hear of the issues you are facing. Some of the issues you report seem to be with the limitations on the Blisslauncher. Have you tried installing another launcher. Not exactly a solution but a work around while the launcher issues are resolved.
You can add a bug report here including a log which can be generated as per the instructions give on this thread.

I’m also using the Essential Phone with /e/ as my everyday main phone. And yes I agree last few updates have brought in some more bugs, but mainly for me they seem to all be related to Bliss Launcher. I’m just being patient with it cause I know it was built from scratch and still being developed, but since the last update I’ve had to switch launchers for a little while. In saying that I don’t have the ‘e.drive stopped’ issue or and other app instability (Though I don’t use any G-apps or g-related apps) like you have been. I have also previously reported a bug where uninstalling an app would leave the icon for the uninstalled app behind then when you click it, it would crash Bliss. All things aside, hopefully you can stick with /e/.

2 Likes

in Xiaomi Mido (0.7-2019082121020) also

1 Like

Please can you add more details as to what is the issue you have been facing post the latest update. Are they similar to the issues described with the launcher by @Pistou above.

Going back to iPhone would be a very bad choice. Instead of this:

1. Try to switch to any privacy-respecting launcher from F-Drod store.
  2. If that doesn’t suit you — switch to the more polished LineageOS for microG until eOS v1 will be released.
  3. Screw Evernote! Switch to Joplin or Carnet.
1 Like

Why do update of things which worked well before ?

1 Like
  1. /e/ providing a launcher, should provide one which works.
    It was before, just not anymore.

2. eOS v1 for when ?

3. Sure some apps are not what you like, but if you offer an os which does not run apps people are used to, than it become a limitation.
    It is ok if you are a Linux fan and ready to limit yourself to some functions, but the idea of /e/ as a mainstream OS seems not be compatible with such limitation.

Don’t get me wrong, i love the promise of /e/ but after one year and more bugs at each update, i start to doubt.

Thanks, will try send the reports / log and hope it will be useful.

which launcher you recommend ?

hi @Pistou I apologize for the issues with the latest update to the launcher .Will pass on the feedback to the developer and will wait for your log and bug report to debug the issue.

We must understand that until eOS reaches v1 — we are all BETA testers. At this stage, bugs are normal, and we’re the ones who should be patient for a while.

If you feel the need to abandon proprietary Android in favor of eOS, then the same reason should make you abandon Evernote, since Evernote isn’t much about your privacy and does not give you a full control over your digital property.

1 Like

I haven’t used iPhone since the 3g, so I really don’t like Bliss launcher much, even when it is working perfectly. For one thing, I think the iOS grid is too restrictive, and I don’t like the icon drag mechanics (where everything is moveable at once). I therefore have been using “S Launcher for Galaxy” by TouchWiz. It is available on the /e/ App store, and has no trackers, according to Exodus. I have had absolutely no problems with it. Try it out!

1 Like

I’ve been using Lawnchair ( https://f-droid.org/en/packages/ch.deletescape.lawnchair.plah/ ) on /e/

I’m very satisfied with it.

2 Likes

I am running happily Bliss, but if I’d change I’d go for Trebuchet, the Lineage Launcher. It has les options to set than Lawnchair, but it is a stabile and madure piece oft software: https://forum.xda-developers.com/android/apps-games/app-lineageos-15-trebuchet-laucher-rom-t3667436/

3 Likes

Yeah I’m currently using Trebuchet until Bliss comes out of beta. I do like bliss but its a little bit buggy atm for daily use for me.

1 Like

The launcher was driving me nuts, I’m also currently using Bliss (after coming across someone using it in the forum, might have been @ralxx?) Very happy with Bliss, even if it crashes occasionally it never interferes with what I’m trying to do. I’m liking the control over widgets, the clean look and feel and easy access to full apps listing without having stuff clog the screen.