Murena Phone vs. Graphene OS vs. Android?

These sure look like Google servers? You think microG just defines them and then magics them away?

maybe that official microG source code isn’t enough? here is the /e/OS fork:

Whatever apps I allow to ping Google servers for notifications and such have to go through Microg, they can’t go through my gmail address, I don’t have one. If I were to delete Microg and setup a work profile with Google Play Services, I’d have to sign up for gmail, give them my phone number to verify, and get into the Google system. And I can’t prove this, but since Google created both Play Services and Android Profiles, they probably know exactly how to slither into the home profile from the work profile and gather the info and send it all out through the work profile. Unless they’re just an honest corporation.

If I wanted a profile without Microg, I’d just create a work profile, where Microg has to be manually installed by default, otherwise it’s not available. Or vice versa, delete it from home and install it on work. No Google sign up, no phone numbers, no gmail.

I worry about Google spying on me through Microg as much as I worry about them spying on me through Invidious YouTube. I don’t.

4 Likes

Please man, the topic isn’t on DivestOS. If you try to have more user, i think, you need to change your communication.

I kind of see both sides here in the sense that while I don’t worry that much about microg but I can see how some people see it’s problematic having it set up by default cause at the end of the day it is making google connections. However I would also argue if you have a problem with it then I don’t think it would be that bad just to deal with it early on by disabling it or a adb uninstall command or even a root install if you were to have that

Yes, I think that de-activating all microG functions would do the trick for the concerned users. /e/ os configured like this would be much better than a simple lineage os without microg because lineage did not care for things like removing google default dns (! maybe the worst thing for being spied !)

1 Like

would put an end to the drama, I looked up where to insert this, up for any takers - microG Google calls: ask for consent during setup? - #2 by tcecyk

2 Likes

Logically, that would mean @anon88181694 wouldn’t seem to be here to please the crowd, wouldn’t it? Would get me thinking.

Everybody is entitled to their own choice on how detailed they want to know what’s really going on on their device.