My criticism of Bliss launcher and how to install stock Android launcher?

Not really, ‘Q’ was released recently, at least for the Galaxy S9 and some others, which is an update to 10.

To the haters

• just use another launcher
  • make constructive suggestions for improvement with explanations why the proposal makes sense
  • don’t use /e/ at all or wait until it is finished

I also don’t use Bliss, but i think it is a simple to use launcher for non geeky people. It needs tweaking, but this is how it is with unfinished software.

7 Likes

Already did. I don’t know, what exact Launcher LineageOS is using, but I think it is stock Android launcher. Unlike Bliss, it is not restrictive and doesn’t have weird features and default settings.

Already did in the original post.

Ok, but why then it is used as default launcher, if it is not finished? Isn’t smarter just to reuse exisying launchers? (Like Android stock launcher)

So your problem is more or less solved. Just continue using the repacement for Bliss or switch to LineageOS.

You did, which is very good. The sentence “To the haters” was not specifically addressed to you, I was a bit upset while reading thru the thread, sorry.

Because you need a point to start and /e/ is still beta.

I would say it is easier to develop an application from scratch than to adapt an existing application to your own ideas. Also, it makes sense to develope it “in house” and to grow with the code because the launcher is one of the core elements of /e/ for people that even don’t know that the launcher can be replaced, which seem the target audience for this launcher to me.

The important things are actually under the hood and not the launcher which can be replaced, but they are not seen at first glance.

1 Like

@manoj what about bringing Trebuchet back to devices with enough space? That would give the user a choice. Trebuchet was in early versions of /e/ but was removed to save space i beleive.

1 Like

Since there’s a “System apps” category now in the Apps installer, it could be offered there for a start. It’s easy to point to, and (further developments pending) there’s not much in it, so installing this way shouldn’t be too demanding for users.

1 Like

Not sure this suggestion will be accepted after all the effort that has gone into Bliss.
All the same making Trebuchet available thorough the App Store would be a alternative…getting the correct apk is not exactly easy. I think there was a XDA link that we refered to get the Trebuchet apk.

Oh i’m not saying Bliss should leave, i like it very much. I meant adding Trebuchet as second option.

1 Like

I understood that … which would mean that a user will see two options available under

Settings >>Apps and notifications >> Default apps >> Home app

Bliss and Trebuchet…and chooses what they prefer.
You can propose this on Gitlab as a proposal …can check if it gets accepted.

The only issue is not everyone is happy with Trebuchet’s bland design…folks have their own personal preferences when it comes to launchers and customizations

1 Like

The post with the link was blocked !!

That’s an old version and horizontal app switching does not work.

just tested. And you are right, no landscape

A module called quickstep is also needed for that to work, normally this is build also when including Trebuchet in the ROM. It also enbles it to work for Bliss thats why i always include Trebuchet in the rom.

Yes, quickstep is need to get all buttons working.

It can be found here - although it is the Trebuchet for Lineage 15 but it still works well: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/app-port-lineageos-15-1-trebuchet-laucher-for-any-rom-ver-8-1-0-22.3667436/

This topic was automatically closed 15 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.