My wish list for /e/

I also strongly second the idea of a firewall that doesn’t take up the VPN slot. I have several apps that I prefer to keep offline, as well as some apps that I need to be able to access my IP address/LAN, as well as most apps that I would rather not access my IP adress/LAN. I use CalyxOS on my Pixel 3a, which has (I believe it’s called the datura firewall?), but a) my main phone is still a OnePlus 6 running /e/, and 2) Calyx is most likely going to have to drop the 3a soon.

3 Likes

Fast charging off setting, remaining off when set, currently after reboot/ on/off cycle, currently after power cycling this setting changes back to on.

2 Likes

hello,
i would like to select what is sync with /e/ no pictures for exemple that was possible before. And also, view storage usage by folder for clean it.
i hope for better sync with multiple contact account to update multiple at once and more selectivity by tags or group to share it in team
Regards

3 Likes
  1. Omniclock instead of deskclock(https://github.com/HolyDragonProject/android_packages_apps_OmniClock)
  2. add a theme engine (maybe based on:GitHub - LineageOS/android_packages_apps_ThemeChooser, GitHub - LineageOS/android_packages_providers_ThemesProvider, GitHub - LineageOS/android_packages_services_ThemeManagerService)
    edit:
  3. update system apps through app lounge (add system app repo to app lounge, the apps have to be signed with the key from the installation)
  4. ability to add fdroid repos to app lounge.
2 Likes

Being a mobile phone, 2 requirements come to mind as “most important”:

1. Stability is paramount. I’m happy to tinker with my laptop or my desktop, but I expect the phone to always work. As a phone, not only it is very important for daily tasks, but sometimes it is a safety device (while doing sports, being out and about, I want to have the guarantee I will always be able to make a call to emergency services, in case of any accident).
  2. Support for newer hardware: for testing and playing, old hardware is perfectly adequate, but if I am to use it as my main phone, it needs to support recently released hardware - I’m not worried about performance but I’m worried about reliability, battery life (most importantly) and available service/parts for old hardware, when it comes to my “day to day” phone (not just as a toy or test device).

Hello folks,
I would definitely like to have Miracast available, and it is available (again) in Lineage:
MiraCast available in Lineage OS 19.

The (totally deceptive) situation right now is that the “Screen Cast” button is available, imitates to be searching for devices (Cast screen to device), but never finds anything. This is the worst possible state of affairs, as it makes the user to believe that something is wrong with the device or settings and plunges him/her into wasting time on and getting frustrated by several hours of useless research.

3 Likes

So, a wish list. Very well then.

• PDF reader needs a search function.

• Cloud syncing problems should be solved asap and every folder that is in the sync list to be able to toggle separately.

• Photo/Video sync needs a resize feature for saving space. This should be behind a toggle in the OS or a feature in the cloud.

• Easy installers and bootloader lock support for devices, this is for new/casual users.

• Stability is the key for day to day user. Most users will find the apps they like on their own, but a recommendation list for proprietary/foss apps could be nice.

2 Likes
  • An improved Backup system.
    Easy backup restoration of the seedvault backup, with a button (not having to type ##RESTORE## in the phone dialer knowing not to create a new backup after factory reset after an upgrade for example). Clearer explainations about the working principle for backup and restore : for example, are the data in the internal storage saved or no.
    I have noticed that the backup will not be as complete whether we use an internal SD card or a USB flash drive int the phone receptacle or internal storage.
    Ideally the backup (saving) of all system parameters with automatic sync using murena cloud and also the shared folder and apps and apps data.
    Ideally the seedvault backup should include everything in the phone like a TWRP backup that even includes the recovery. I guess this is not possible, so maybe include a backup function in the /e/ os (lineage recovery) that will save absolutely everything including cache ! like Twrp :slight_smile:

Apart from that, everything is really great. Murena cloud makes things really easy and user freindly. OTA updates works well and the updates always improve things :slight_smile:

1 Like

You can find a very useful app for backing up your data. It’s Linux Android Backup. Despite its name, it works on Linux, Windows and MacOS. https://mrrfv.github.io/linux-android-backup/

1 Like

The possibility to re-arrange widgets on the home screen would be nice. Now I have my clock at the bottom and it’s more logical to have it at the top.
In general: I’m not very pleased with the overall design. It’s quite boring. Ofcourse, reliability of the operating system is most important, but I would like a little more eye candy to love my /e/ device even more. Think of wallpapers and icon styles.

If you don’t like the preinstalled Bliss launcher, just install a different launcher according to your taste and make it the default launcher when asked. Standard Android procedure :wink: .

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=best+android+launchers

(I’m using Lawnchair, but there really are a ton of launchers out there.)

1 Like

Okay, a do-it-yourself thing. Fair enough. Then the development team can focus on important things.

The fast charging option is present, under Settings-Battery.

A wishlist.

Well there are two things i really want. The first is i wish for is a easier way to distribute the system apps like e.g make a f-droid repo for them or something like that. So that way we don’t have to wait for a system update every time to update the apps

The second thing i wish for is to make advanced privacy more configurable for power users such as e.g adding custom blocklists. it’s not that i doubt it’s effectiveness by it’s default configuration i would just like to add onto it. maybe do this by adding advanced settings area somewhere in the advanced privacy app?

5 Likes

My idea is that there are moer /e/ roms for different phones
Miss quit a few of them and that /e/ must more knowed by the public

1 Like

I recently updated to Android 12 and I really don’t like it. Not only they are making less efficient use of space, they even removed certain functionality like turning volume up/down from the top scrollbar. Settings menus now waste about 20% to 25% of screen real state and have made the font considerably larger by default. I mean, it just objectively worse… change for the sake of change it’s a horrible policy.

I think this is a great opportunity for /e/ to stand out by coming up with a custom UI that addresses the shortcomings of this version of Android, which will likely continue to exist in future versions. Assuming there are enough resources for it, that is…

1 Like

You are not objective.
I am not objective.
Claiming to be doesn’t help making the case.

A custom Ui is a horrible policy, too, see Samsung and Huawei, who use it to bind users to their devices, making transitions to anything else harder.

I wouldn’t hold my breath.

3 Likes

Considering that /e/ already has it’s own launcher, I don’t see why that would be a bad idea. A lot of people continue to use Samsung or Huawei, that doesn’t mean they are unhappy with the product.

If we can measure it, we can be objective about it.

Of course we can: Objectively something changed.

But it’s not objectively better or worse. Subjectively you don’t like it. (I don’t like it either, but I choose to just live with it.)
Subjectively somebody else must like it, else we wouldn’t have it :wink: .

3 Likes

At least they should fix some things: when you pull down from the top and you see the now full size quick settings/notification area they should remove the three-button-bar at the bottom because it just doesn’t work as expected. It looks like not intended there but I always push the damned square button just because it’s there. They also could probably easily change the size and the default number of these big fat quick settings buttons. This must not result in an entire custom GUI, some minor changes would already be good.

2 Likes