My wish list for /e/

Yeah, but you can easily install the Openboard keyboard which can show a nice digit row on top.

DEL key, Arrow keys, Page UP/DOWN keys
Or a general keyboard for tablet mode — stock Samsung on tablets would be a good ref.

I would like a built-in backup-and-restore solution. [HOWTO] Backup and Restore Data on Android Devices - #135 by Klaas
(one that backs up all data, not the limited Seedvault).

7 Likes

That is more complex, then it appears. I have researched subject. There is a setting in application manifest, which controls whether app data can be backup or not. Android won’t backup apps, which deny that.

Yes, Appdata is one thing but it would be nice if other data would also be backed up. I know I can copy paste pictrues to a computer and vise-versa, just nicer if everything can be done in one job/task

@wizard Seedvault / Calyx completed “device2device transfer” backup in January 2024. When /e/ gets to Android 14 (or backports) the d2d option overrides the Apps preference to not be backed up and regular users get a better backup, see [HOWTO] use Seedvault early to understand Android backup - #49 by tcecyk for more

5 Likes
  • I wish /e/ had more apps with usable offline content.

• Also some partners, like maybe to be able to pay extra content / hardware (like security cameras).

• Or service partners like the yellow pages (pagesjaunes in France), Qwant, IGN for maps or even podcast like Radiofrance to have easy access to something in the phone and not to have a brick for a non tech enthusiast user. Maybe the choice of the navigation systems, I sometimes use Viamichelin with the discovery mode to cross beautiful places on the way !

Some basics really to add to /e/ a little of fun. For example the weather thing in /e/ is good and open source weather apps from the store are great but I have really better prediction with Lachainemétéo app than all these orthodox libre stuffs. Same with Spot, which is great, just I have these robotic results compared to Qwant.

Hello,
I’m very happy with /e/OS on my Fairphone 4. Actually there are only some wishes left:

1. Better (faster) fixing of security issues / delivering security updates

2. Improvements for App Lounge:

• More transparency concerning package sources (only f-droid and google play)
  • f-droid store feature: that only the newest recommended version gets installed by default, not always the newest (eventually not recommended) one
  • f-droid store feature: possibilty to integrate other package sources
  1. No preinstalled apps, or preinstalled apps that can more easily be uninstalled via Store (GUI)

2. Better designed monthly update installation process, eg only basic image patching. (Preinstalled) app updates should be delivered via store.

Thanks!

• A real physical flash light

• Document scanner mode

Hello I would like to suggest some crosscall product, rugged tablet and phone from european firm.Crosscall. At last one tablet and one phone. Rugged devices are something missing by /e/ I think…

crosscall core T5 rugged tablet
crosscall core x5 or z5 or stellar x5 (last one).

kernel code pubished by github:
https://github.com/orgs/CrosscallEngineering/repositories

crosscal product website: https://www.crosscall.com/

/e/ topic:

1 Like

This seems like a good idea… I wonder if Croscall would like to participate in a mix project with Murena… maybe make the Murena 3 out of one of their phones?

Kære e-Foundation.

Jeg har kun brugt /e/os på min Murena one telefon i en kortere periode, så mine ønsker er måske ikke så mange endnu.

Jeg sætter stor pris på mit privatliv, derfor valgte jeg Murena med /e/os styresystemet fra e-Foundation. Privatliv kommer afgjort i første række, idet Google-android og iphone-ios ikke tilbyder dette overhovedet, men derimod krænker privatlivet.

Jeg kommer fra en Google-android telefon, så /e/os’s UI er meget bruger venlig, og app’s er meget brugervenlige, - det er godt.

Jeg bruger Linux Mint på min bærbar, og kunne godt tænke mig, at /e/os easy-installer var på Linux Mint, så jeg kunne lægge /e/os ind på mine gamle Google-android telefoner. Det ville være dejligt. Det skal være nemt at få /e/os downloaded og installeret, fordi så vil flere bruge det på gamle telefoner, og hermed bruge styresystemet.

Jeg synes, at App lounge har et flot udvalg af open source apps til ethvert formål, og det er godt, at der er privacy rating til hver app.

Jeg er meget glad for, at e-Foundation er interesseret i min mening om /e/os, hvilket indikerer, at jeg har valgt det rigtige styresystem til min telefon. Linux Mint gør det samme. Et bruger orienteret styresystem er det bedste for alle parter.

Mine prioriteringer er altså privatliv først og herefter brugervenlighed.

Tak for opmærksomheden.

Kh. Simon Enøe Christoffersen.

Translation from Simon70 text:

Dear e-Foundation.

I have only used / e / us on my Murena one phone for a shorter period, so my wishes may not be that many yet.

I really appreciate my privacy, which is why I chose the Murena with the / e / o operating system from e-Foundation. Privacy comes first, as Google android and iphone-ios do not offer this at all, but rather violate privacy.

I come from a Google android phone, so / e / us’s UI is very user friendly and app’s are very user friendly - that’s good.

I use Linux Mint on my laptop, and I would like / e / o’s easy-installer to be on Linux Mint so I could put / e/us into my old Google android phones. That would be nice. It should be easy to get / e / us downloaded and installed, because then more people will use it on old phones, using the operating system.

I think the App lounge has a great selection of open source apps for every purpose and it’s good that there is privacy rating for every app.

I am very happy that e-Foundation is interested in my opinion about / e / us, which indicates that I have chosen the right operating system for my phone. Linux Mint does the same. A user-oriented operating system is the best for all parties.

So my priorities are privacy first and then ease of use.

Thanks for the attention.

Hi Cooler, I’ve no ideas of the plans of crosscall.
And have no time help make a kind of support of any smartphone for e or Los.
What I may do is to contact crosscall if they have any inconvenience, problem if an Organization like e-foundation or lineage Os, support some of their phone with a foreigner custom rom…

It would be really great if crosscall has no problem, that some people by e-community has interest on it, and some one organize the support of e-custom rom on it.
And the highest goal would be as official e-rom…
:slight_smile:
cheers all

If your Linux Mint has Snap activated you can run the easy-installer not sure you know that. I would also prefer if there would less barriers to install it, but it is a decision by Linux Mint and on the other hand Murena how much developement they make

1 Like

Hi there Simon… from another Simon :slight_smile:
You could just use the Android developer tools and the terminal to install on all phones; there’s no need for EASY Installer
I’m using a laptop with Zorin (also Ubuntu-based) to install on all phones now; you could use any Linux and you don’t have to mess with drivers like you should on Windows.

Hej Simon… fra en anden Simon :slight_smile:
Du kan bare bruge Android-udviklerværktøjerne og terminalen til at installere på alle telefoner; der er ikke brug for EASY Installer
Jeg bruger en laptop med Zorin (også Ubuntu-baseret) til at installere på alle telefoner nu; du kan bruge en hvilken som helst Linux, og du behøver ikke at rode med drivere, som du skal på Windows.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

1 Like

@cemoi71
How’s the “free” translation above cemoi71?

1 Like

On the devices supported by the Easy Installer the stable builds are also available for manual install, as the Easy Installer just semi-automates the manual install process.
(And I checked stable builds are indeed downloadable for all of them currently.)

@Manoj:

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/FP5 is missing a link to the Easy Installer.

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/dream2lte/install is missing a link to https://images.ecloud.global/stable/dream2lte/.

https://doc.e.foundation/devices/bramble/install is missing a link to https://images.ecloud.global/stable/bramble/.

https://doc.e.foundation/easy-installer still references the Teracube 2e 2020 as 2e instead of zirconia, so the link on the page is dead, should be to https://doc.e.foundation/devices/zirconia.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. Last time when I installed on a S9+ there were no stable builds available for download.
On re-checking now there is a link below to the stable builds…
Anyway I want the latest and greatest so the stable would not have been used anyway, but it’s good to know it’s available.
I’ll correct my post to not include false information…

I just found two missing links to existing download pages, see above, so most probably just the link to the download page was missing, afterall the Easy Installer has to download the builds to install from somewhere.