Need Google Play Services for bank app

I received this reply

The Mobile Secure Key is not compatible with MicroG libraries; Google Play services are a pre-requisite for using the Mobile Secure Key.

It looks like it is still possible to use the app if you have a DigiPass. It’s not clear whether you wouldneed to use the DigiPass each time you want to use the app, or whether it’s only the first time

I got the same response from them. I do have (and use) the DigiPass but from what I understand they’re planning to phase it out, hence the need for Mobile Secure Key (or just telephone banking…), though they did say that they won’t “leave you without a way to access your accounts.” so perhaps they won’t phase out the DigiPass just yet.

Hmm I guess it’s ultimately up to me to decide whether I want to upgrade to R (which is to Android 11?) which may possibly solve the issue, but could be a lot of trouble?

I’ll try and see if I can get a log from my phone to submit the issue…

Hmm seems like a tough choice, one does wish Google would let up on its hegemony…

• Take a backup of your personal data.
  • The upgrade itself is not that difficult if you use the “easy-installer”.
  • After that, you can reinstall your apps and restore your personal data.

The advantage of the ‘stable channel’ is that you will probably be offered the next upgrade OTA.

1 Like

Hi sorry could you include the link to where I can report this issue? I’ve got the logcat for the error (though I don’t know if microg can do anything about it since it’s the app that requires Google Play Services and isn’t compatible with microg?), but not quite sure where I’m supposed to post it to.
Also, could you advise if I can remove my email addresses from the logcat file (I don’t quite know what’s going on in that file but I can see from looking through it that the email addresses linked to accounts on my phone appears in there)?

Report here Issues · microg/GmsCore · GitHub

Sure, search a part of your email and phone number and give them arbitrary values.

You can post to any pastebin and someone will isolate the exception so no need to report with the full logcat

saw your filed issue at [com.triodos.bankinguk] Activating Mobile Secure Key fails · Issue #1881 · microg/GmsCore · GitHub and looked through the 2 log files.

It’s due to not implemented parts of the GMS Vision API (it only does barcodes, not QR or Face) - see github

3229  3255 D ChimeraServiceProvider: query: content://com.google.android.gms.chimera/api_force_staging/com.google.android.gms.vision.ocr?requestStartTime=414613693
28090 31031 I iodos.bankingu: The ClassLoaderContext is a special shared library.
28090 31031 W GmsDynamiteLoaderImpl: No such module known: com.google.android.gms.vision.ocr
28090 31031 D GmsDynamiteLoaderImpl: unimplemented Method: getModuleVersion for com.google.android.gms.vision.ocr
28090 31034 W GmsDynamiteLoaderImpl: No such module known: com.google.android.gms.vision.face
28090 31034 D GmsDynamiteLoaderImpl: unimplemented Method: getModuleVersion for com.google.android.gms.vision.face

(btw: theres a segfault on the browser in there right at the start, that’s funny. Probably a reason to update /e/ itself)

Here is another person who cannot activate the Triodos bank App.
When the app will make a photo, to check my identity, i get the error with Google services too.

And unfortunately it won’t be fixed: see my post above with a response from Triodos support

why not move your bank account to another bank ?
And keep Googles nose out of your banking account ?

Because Triodos is one of very few banks that have an effective ethical policy. As their website says

Our banking and financial services are for individuals and organisations who want to change the world for the better. As one of the world’s most sustainable banks, we have over 740,000 customers who are already playing their part in our positive movement.

That is more important to me than whether I can use a mobile phone app rather than web-based internet banking for doing my banking :slight_smile:

I don’t think that the fact the app uses some Google services to allow secure biometric-based login will actually let Google see any details of my bank account

1 Like

I can use the Triodos app without problems.
The only problem is that the app won’t activate by phone.

When i use the camera in the app to check my identity, it will fail and give me an error about Google Services.

So i asked for an identifier to do that.

I have also KNAB, but their you only can banking with the app.

Same solution here. Triodos had deactivated my identifier (automated process) to push me to register via ‘mobile reigstration’. But I couldn’t seem to get passed the step where you need to make a picture. They’ve solved it for me by reactivating my identifier again. Now I can use the mobile app without issues, luckily.
But why would a bank app even need to refer to the Google Play Services? The app is already installed en all it needs to do is to take a picture of a person. Although I’m also having my doubts about a bank taking 3D pictures of their customers (and storing them for further usage)…I think this is very private. I’m not so sure about this development yet.

It doesn’t necessarily have to do with what kind of App it is.
Google is supplying components and services which make life easier for App developers, so this way a lot of Apps simply include dependencies to Google.

2 Likes

I have the same issue with Triodos banking app (Netherlands) on my phone with version 1.9 of /e/OS.
Sent a log to Github page of MicroG also.

1 Like

@Klaas: are you rooted and use LSPoaed Zygisk? Denylist let’s me make use of ALL banking apps without trouble

@Klaas noticed your initial post in dutch and see you found your way. Your bugrep is for the NL version, but the UK appid can very well have different code. Where it fails for triodos uk is at an API call that cannot work with microG. I don’t see that class being called in your triodos NL logcat at all, see github for the rest

I got my problem solved. Thanks very much for your support!!
The solution was: using my digipass, which was de-activated. I asked the bank to re-activate it and with it, I could set up the app.
Still, that doesn´t fix the API Visuals problem.

1 Like

One question left regarding this matter. I really wanted the app to work on my smartphone. I thought: what if I install Google Play Services, set the app, and then remove Google Play Services? I tried, but I am not 100% sure what happened. I believe the system told me: can´t do that. Am I correct? Can one not install Google Play Services on a device with /e/OS? I hope not, because otherwise it wouldn’t be waterproof.

Thanks for the info, AnotherElk! Now I can be sure I haven´t corrupted my device in trying to install it (and remove it afterwards).