NHS Covid-19 app won't work unless I update Google Play Services

Police told not to download NHS Covid-19 app 4
National Police Chiefs Council says officers should not install contact-tracing app on work phones.

Lurid headlines of this kind, taken out of context, are used to stir up a negative mood and prejudices.

Unfortunately the eForum only allows the button “like this post” and not also a negative rating a la “Dislike”.

:-1: @harvey186 :-1:

2 Likes

That’s a good thing. It forces reasoned argument.

1 Like

Sorry, it is the whole Article. Nothing taken out of context. !!!

That you don’t like my personal view of this spying api is OK, but please stay at truth !!!

2 Likes

Very well. Please explain, quoting the article, how this piece of text is the final proof, the API in question is the sinister spying thing, you say it is, for I am at a loss here.

2 Likes

@harvey186, your “No comment” in connection with the two lines of text “Police told not to download NHS Covid-19 app 4 National Police Chiefs Council says officers should not install contact-tracing app on work phones.” is your personal message about your personal attitude to the topic “C-Contact-Tracking” which is well known here in the /e/forum.

I respect your opinion, even if I have a different opinion. But it is not respectful to place the aversion to “spying api” in every possible place.

From the beginning of this thread we tried to shed some light on the Theama “NHS Covid-19 app won’t work …” and to find solutions.

Your “No comment” has nothing to do with the problem. It creates new, different problems, as we are experiencing right now. This should be avoided urgently.

So please let us focus exclusively on the technical side of the Exposure Notifications API and its options.

4 Likes

I will stop here this never ending discussion.
My intention was only to inform people. Therefore also this ‘no comment’.
No more and no less

1 Like

[+ positive] Galaxy S5 ‘hlte’ PixelExperience 9.0-20190712-1406-UNOFFICIAL
.dutch_coronamelder_pixexpgapps

[+ positive] Galaxy S5 ‘hlte’ PixelExperience 10.0-20200514-1847-UNOFFICIAL

Please see also > Dutch CoronaMelder v1.0.2.71407 | 10.09.2020

with PixelExperience you don’t need the contact traching activate, Google is knowing where you are and what are you doing :wink:

#48 Once again, this is nothing new.

My message is: PixelExperience customROMs with its G**-components even work on the old Galaxy S5 ‘klte’ - unlike LineageOS ROMs with Open GApps or microG Exposure Notifications API.

1 Like

Just on more technical consent extortion, in fact.

If the app’s ‘not safe’ on the police phones, how is it safe on any other phone? You want a less secure phone perhaps?
Maybe, you even believe cvirus is as big a deal as it’s made out bu governments to be??? :rofl:

You have my pity. I hope the reasonable part of the people do their part to keep you healthy, too.

1 Like

Police officers are constantly coming into contact with members of the public. This means they are at greater risk than most of getting an alert. If half of the officers get alerts and told to stay at home for two weeks…
Well, I think you see the problem.
Sometimes one needs to shave with Hanlon’s Razor.

1 Like

Well you are defeating the purpose of having a private and secure OS then.
Didn’t you get /E to avoid being spied on in the first place? heh
I’m glad this app does not work, good riddance.
All I need is government spyware on my phone lol

1 Like

You are aware /e/ is Android based? They could have placed trackers everywhere!

Isn’t it the purpose of /E to customise Android so it does not have them?
Or am I on the wrong page here?
The world has gone mad recently, accepting tyranny on a load of rummour and profit biased scaremongering, maybe it’s just me left with a sense of privacy?
You need to choose which side of the fence you are on. Otherwise sitting on top your bottom will hurt all the more.

Yes thats /e/'s mission. So why don’t you don’t trust this particular piece of software potentionally implemented by /e/ and the microg developer, while you seems to trust the rest of the Android de-googling? I don’t see the difference at all. Of course everyone can have their opinion, but please base your opinion on facts.

1 Like

I did not say I trust anything my friend. What I meant was this is supposed to be a privacy oriented OS, why install spyware on it.
Mitigate your attack surface, always :slight_smile:

Do you have proof for your spyware claim?

And this is usually the last step in these “debates”. Slander, insult, ad hominem.

Real YouTube commentary stuff here. And the best indicator for a lack of arguments so far.

5 Likes