Old OS vs New OS

I am finding that the more I read about the newer versions of Android, the more I don’t like them. The increasing issues with root access, the difficulty in backing up apps and data (unless you use Google services, of course) the intrusiveness, whether or not you want it - these things are deal breakers for me. I am increasingly grateful for /e/ and its support of old phones and older versions of Android.

I happened across an article that said an increasing number of websites prohibiting access from lower versions of android. Why would they do that? Why would they limit their market? Reading that article made me extremely paranoid - it made me think that those of us who use older phones are being herded slowly but inexorably into the Google corral where we can be fleeced and branded at their leisure.

The planned obsolescence, the need to outlay hundreds of dollars every 2 years and the constant surveillance sickens me. More and more I appreciate my faithful Moto G4 that just keeps on going and I appreciate the ongoing support from /e/! :grin: :grin: :grin: :+1:t2: :+1:t2:

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

9 Likes

According to the article you linked, that is only a problem with the built-in Android browser. There are many alternative browsers which avoid the problem (e.g. Firefox)

5 Likes

Any relation? I have a non supported /e/ device running LOS for microG and am also having similar issues though I’m not sure if it is a ROM or DRM issue. Nevertheless I can’t figure it out. :point_down:

*Device stopped steaming some services with Android 11 update.

Another example of RMM locked to prenormal outside Knox induced geozone. :point_down: While I concede your point on the browser my gut tells me the big players want FOSS locked out. Thus the reason Google is doing all it can to integrate (safteynet, GAppstore, etc) deeper into the OS so without the user is left with no choice but their monopolistic stranglehold.

2 Likes

Let’s Encrypt has also announced that Android devices as far back as 2.3.6 will continue to work. This may still be an issue for non-android devices that aren’t getting system updates but Firefox remains as an alternative to this issue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.