OnePlus 6 currently running eOS-q. Anyone got a plan for upgrading to eOS-r?

I don’t have this device but a friend does. The R release, albeit slightly delayed, may be just around the corner and some users will need to get stock android 11 onto the device before flashing the new eOS-r.

So far, the best info I’ve found is this post from XDA

There are links in the original post to fastboot roms, but only up to 10.

On the last page of the there, post#1.252, there is a link to a fastboot image for 11.1.1.1, but it appears not to have been tested for installation yet.

In another post on the thread #1.244, there is a link to a guide for unbricking that looks interesting.

Windows seems to be favoured for flashing these roms by the inclusion of a flashall.bat that will do the work of flashing all the files automatically.It would be nice if there was a flashall.sh script as well but never mind. There is a list of all the commands for linux and I suppose it might be easy to incorporate a script if one had the knowledge. Otherwise one would have to do it line by line in the terminal I guess.

Anyone got any ideas? @Grendel I know you’ve flashed stock on OP6 before, how did you do that?

you want to upgrade to e os R when is out ,or you want to go back to stock? if you want to upgrade you just have to extract payload.bin and with fastboot flash

fastboot flash aop_a aop.img
fastboot flash aop_b aop.img
fastboot flash bluetooth_a bluetooth.img
fastboot flash bluetooth_b bluetooth.img
fastboot flash dsp_a dsp.img
fastboot flash dsp_b dsp.img
fastboot flash dtbo_a dtbo.img
fastboot flash dtbo_b dtbo.img
fastboot flash fw_4j1ed_a fw_4j1ed.img
fastboot flash fw_4j1ed_b fw_4j1ed.img
fastboot flash fw_4u1ea_a fw_4u1ea.img
fastboot flash fw_4u1ea_b fw_4u1ea.img
fastboot flash modem_a modem.img
fastboot flash modem_b modem.img
fastboot flash oem_stanvbk oem_stanvbk.img
fastboot flash qupfw_a qupfw.img
fastboot flash qupfw_b qupfw.img
fastboot flash storsec_a storsec.img
fastboot flash storsec_b storsec.img
fastboot flash vbmeta_a vbmeta.img
fastboot flash vbmeta_b vbmeta.img
fastboot flash vendor_a vendor.img
fastboot flash vendor_b vendor.img
fastboot flash LOGO_a LOGO.img
fastboot flash LOGO_b LOGO.img

if you want critical partitions boot in TWRP

adb push abl.img /sdcard/abl.img
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/abl.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/abl_a
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/abl.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/abl_b
adb push cmnlib.img /sdcard/cmnlib.img
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/cmnlib.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/cmnlib_a
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/cmnlib.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/cmnlib_b
adb push cmnlib64.img /sdcard/cmnlib64.img
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/cmnlib64.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/cmnlib64_a
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/cmnlib64.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/cmnlib64_b
adb push devcfg.img /sdcard/devcfg.img
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/devcfg.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/devcfg_a
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/devcfg.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/devcfg_b
adb push hyp.img /sdcard/hyp.img
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/hyp.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/hyp_a
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/hyp.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/hyp_b
adb push keymaster.img /sdcard/keymaster.img
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/keymaster.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/keymaster_a
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/keymaster.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/keymaster_b
adb push xbl.img /sdcard/xbl.img
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/xbl.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/xbl_a
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/xbl.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/xbl_b
adb push xbl_config.img /sdcard/xbl_config.img
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/xbl_config.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/xbl_config_a
adb shell dd if=/sdcard/xbl_config.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/xbl_config_b

i upgrade that way without the critical on my OP6T from 10 to 11 when i tried lineage os based on 11.1.1 firmware

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I’ve edited the title to try and make clearer. Device is on eOS-q and soon it will want to be on eOS-r. This means one has to upgrade it with stock android 11 first , no? Then flash eOS-r.

The xda thread has those commands along with various fastboot roms, including 11, where all of the image files are contained in zips. They can be unpacked easily without need for extracting a payload.bin.

What I’m wondering is do you have to flash line by line, one at a time in linux terminal?

Edit: Actually I’ve learnt that its easy to write a simple shell script; a shebang line at the top of the commands in a .txt file and then make executable. So that would automate the flashing.

Hello @chrisrg sorry for not replying sooner but am away from home at the moment and can’t give an exact reply from memory. I have the zip file of the old Oxygen OS for my OP6 on a USB stick in case I need to go back to stock ROM but it dates from last year and I think was version 9 of Android so would not be much use going to the R version.
I came across it on a link from the XDA forum and followed advice there to flash this file on both slots before flashing eOS. However I had to reflash TWRP in between each time to keep it with eOS installed. In that way I was able to root my phone with Magisk. I prefer this to able to use apps requiring root privileges.
But I was interested to see your useful link with information about OnePlus’ future policy.

Having reread @kopap list of flashing commands I think it’s the way I would go and you’re right that an executable would work under Linux to simplify the operation. Let me know if this works for you when the R version comes out. I would dearly like to keep my OP6 up to date as I am very pleased with it.

1 Like

Install Lineage4microG and you are always up to date :wink:
Connection to /e/ can be done manually without any restriction…
BUT you will have a maintained, up to date OS and not an outdated with ancient security fixes…

LOS install instructions specify in “Basic Requirements”:

Warning: Before following these instructions please ensure that the device is on the latest Android 11 firmware.

Because custom roms work on top of the OEM android installation it is my opinion that the best base for installing eOS-r onto the phone would be from stock android 11 OOS; though I admit my beliefs are based more on intuition rather than technical know how.

Given that the bulk of the partitions on the phone are stock android (custom rom only flashes over a few partitions) it seems to make sense that to get the best out of the hardware is to keep the stock android up to date for the intended custom rom.

For that reason I’m coming round to the idea that restoring the phone to it’s previous stock android state (OOS 10) and then updating OTA to OOS 11would provide the best base for android 11 custom roms.

1 Like