OnePlus 9 Pro stuck in fastboot after install

Hey there! Just finished installing e-1.1-r-20220629200015-dev-lemonadep.zip and recovery-e-1.1-r-20220629200015-dev-lemonadep.img on my OnePlus 9 Pro. There were no errors and the console indicated everything was installed successfully. However, when I attempt step #15. (“Go back to the main screen and select Reboot system now”), it just reboots to the fastboot on the phone. When I try selecting Start on the phone, it restarts back into fastboot. When I command fastboot reboot from the terminal, it reboots back into fastboot. And when I hold down the power button + volume up button, again it only reboots back into fastboot. Thankfully, recovery mode does work and my phone is in an unlocked state. I’ve tried going through the install directions 3 times with the same results. Lastly, I’ve tried fastboot --set-active=a command for both “a” and “b” with the same results. Any help is appreciated!

Try format data factory reset in recovery then reboot system

@chrisrg I tried that and it’s still stuck in fastboot.

Please can you clarify if you have an /e/ Recovery which you are able to boot into.

Does the /e/ version show a version number on the opening screen? Is that version number correct?

@aibd yes, I’m able to boot into /e/ Recovery mode and it’s version 1.1

Thank you. Can I also just check that you were on Android 11 before you started?

Tip: Before installing /e/OS on the OnePlus 9 Pro lemonadep for the first time, install the latest stock OS version 11 build on the device

You do not say what action you took after these commands (I am not sure the effect on the phone if they are performed in isolation where you have a failed install.)

To check the Slot A Slot B status you can use

fastboot getvar all

https://krispitech.com/check-partition-slot-a-b/

@aibd sorry for the delay, I was travelling. Yes, I had the stock OS version installed and any relevant updates installed before installing. After installing /e/, I tried starting it from recovery which just sent me to fastboot. I then tried selecting start in fastboot which sent me to fastboot again. It was here that I then tried changing the slots in recovery mode. I tried “a” first which put me to fastboot again, so I then immediately went back to recovery and changed the slot to “b” which also sent me back to fastboot. I went to recovery again, changed back to slot “a” and tried one last time and it sent me back to fastboot (I was using the fastboot getvar all commands to verify which slot I was using in each case). Since then, as was recommended above, I tried the factory reset from recovery which also just sent me back to fastboot. Appreciate any help here!

1 Like

I’ve just installed e-1.0-r on oneplus 9. I followed the instructions with the inclusion of one additional step that I have been using on another device and which I have since suggested to others (where it seems to have made a difference).

When the copy-partitions step has completed on the device recovery screen select the back arrow to the home screen, go to “advanced” , and “reboot recovery”.

When recovery reboots proceed to the next steps in the install instructions. On my installation the phone booted up first time but crashed after a couple of steps in the setup sequence, then rebooted to recovery with a prompt to factory reset, which I did. After that I was able to setup eOS normally.

I installed e-1.0-r first for two reasons: 1. I like to install penultimate builds on stock a/b devices in order to be able to test for ota updates after setting up, and 2. I’m suspicious of 1.1r at the moment :wink:

NOTE: It would be best to try and ensure you do this from the slot where you first started.

EDIT: I have since updated ota to version e-1.1-r without errors.

@chrisrg thanks for that suggestion. Unfortunately, after installing 1.0 vs. 1.1, I ran into the same exact stuck in fastboot results as when I installed 1.1. I tried doing a factory reset after installing 1.0 the first time and then reinstalling but it still went to fastboot. Should I attempt an earlier version such as 0.22 or 0.23? Thanks

Damn! It’s looking like it’s something other than the eOS itself in your case, assuming you have followed the install instructions step by step.

1.The last step of the process before rebooting when you go back to recovery home screen, down at the bottom of the screen, can you remember did it show the output “install completed with status 0” ?

Other things to eliminate could be:

2.Device model number matches the supported models on docs.

3.Can you remember what the last update was that you applied in OOS and you’re sure it may not have been later than 11?

4.Are you running the latest fastboot on your pc? 33.0.1

Another thing just came to mind; in recovery you can view the log on the device screen, in the Advanced option.Also you can pull the log to pc via terminal while connected to device in recovery mode. I had to enable adb manually in the recovery screen as well.

adb pull /tmp/recovery.log

I’m no good at interpreting logs but I’ve had a look at mine and itshows a lot of useful device info to check

@chrisrg

1. It said “Step 2/2”. The console said “Total xfer: 1.00x”.
  2. I didn’t capture the exact model number but the only OnePlus 9 Pro models are LE2121, LE2125, LE2123, LE2120 which are all listed as supported devices.
  3. I do vaguely remember the stock OS going through some standard updates but I can’t remember if it was just updates/patches to 11 or beyond 11.
  4. I’m running 33.0.2-darwin for adb/fastboot and this is on my macOS 12.4.
    I checked the \tmp\recovery.log and I didn’t see anything obvious. But I also don’t know necessarily what to look for in the logs.
  1. I’ll show what I was asking with an image at the end of the post. Not a big deal and I know it’s almost impossible to remember small details like this and anyway I feel the installation went ok . But can’t be certain.

2. The model number may be on the back of the phone down at the bottom , it’s hard to see for my eyes.

3. I’m wondering if device updated to 12 and this has caused problems.

EDIT: Sorry,I’ve removed some content I posted here earlier after spending a bit of time trying to get to grips with logs and product info. I’m not getting anywhere and I think a lot of the info is stuff overlaid by eos anyway. Can’t think of anything else apart from restoring stock and that could bring it’s own problems if you don’t have a windows machine.

@chrisrg

1. So my results are similar to your screenshot except it just ends with “Step 2/2” and doesn’t have that last line “Install complete with status 0.”
  2. I’m not seeing the model number on the back or anywhere written on the physical device.
  3. That’s entirely likely, I think I may try installing the stock OS 11 back on and try this all again. Thanks for your help on this.

Well I don’t know, I’d expect to see something like install aborted or an error number. If I could see your recovery log something might jump out in comparison to mine. DM me a copy if you like butI understand if you don’t want to)

@chrisrg I think I know what the issue is here. I flashed the stock Android 11 OS back on and confirmed the model number is LE2127 which is not one of the supported devices for /e/ according to this page: Info about OnePlus 9 Pro - lemonadep. Do you think this model will be added in the near future?

I found this link Question - LE numbers and applicable models | XDA Forums. I saw (less reliably) it was suggested your phone might be a lemonadept. Perhaps you could confirm your devicecode with

$ adb shell getprop ro.product.device

or another of the methods mentioned here [HOWTO] Find device codename.

Then you might be in a position to look for possibilities of a custom ROMs or /e/ for that device.

@aibd I returned the LE2027 device and bought an LE2025 device. I was then able to successfully install /e/ 1.0 on it and boot it into /e/. So LE2027 was definitely the issue here. Thanks for all the help!

1 Like