Please stop logging IP addresses with searx /e/ spot

Could we please have an answer about the issue that has been raised here last month?

What did the team answer? Is the /e/spot searx instance still logging its users IP addresses or has this problem been addressed?

Pl track the issue here

1 Like

Thanks, apparently the issue has been dealt with and that would be great but there are no explanation there. Could we have a public statement about it please?

This issue has already been addressed here
That is a public statement. There is nothing further to comment on this issue.

1 Like

No it hasnā€™t been addressed there at all. At the time of this message you didnā€™t know what was going on with the searx instance and users IP addresses log and you raised the issue on gitlab.

Now that the issue has been closed on the gitlab. We deserve some explanations firstly about why those IP addresses have been logged until now and secondly if /e/ certifies that the IP addresses of /e/ spot users are not being logged anymore.

If you want to accuse us of being immoral and devious there is nothing I can comment. I have already mentioned that if the IPā€™s were being logged it must have happened inadvertently and without any malicious intent . If we want to log user data we would not have gone to the extent of de googling our code. It is for you to believe or not to believe. Not exactly sure why you continue using /e/ when you are absolutely sure we are so devious or can use such methods. You can always switch to another ROM. Unless the intent is to engage in an endless discussion.

2 Likes

Honestly I donā€™t understand why you are reacting in such a defensive and highly unfriendly way. You even accuse me of being absolutely sure that you (/e/) are immoral and devious without any reason. Itā€™s definitely not the case and I have never written anything that could allow you to draw such conclusions. On the contrary, I even wrote in a previous message:

I find your angry answer totally misplaced as Iā€™m nothing more than an /e/ user concerned about /e/'s reputation and the privacy of its users.

This is why Iā€™m asking for a public explanation about why this logging happened and above all if /e/ now certifies that the IP addresses of the users of its searx instance are not being logged anymore.
This transparency and commitment would only be basic community management for a sane project. The opposite being displayed here is actually damaging for /e/'s reputation and it saddens me.

It is still time to rectify that with an appropriate declaration this time.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Since this topic has unfortunately been closed (Please stop logging IP addresses with searx /e/ spot) without any official statement from /e/, I have to create a new one to ask again this simple question that unfortunately hasnā€™t been answered yet:

Does /e/ guarantee from now on that no log of IP addresses of /e/ spot searx instance users is being made?

Iā€™m not asking anymore for a simple public explanation about why those logs happened in the first place since /e/ strategy about that appears to be silence. A little bit of transparency would have been nice, above all for a project that aims to empower users, but who am I to judge their community management after all.

Now Iā€™m only asking this simple but capital question that can be answered with yes or no.
Thanks in advance for giving us the clear answer we deserve.

1 Like

I honestly do not understand this fascination with painting /e/ as an evil organization.
In case you are unaware the source code of /e/ come from Lineage which in turn comes from Google.
The apps that are being used as default with the exception of the Bliss launcher are all forked from different applications.
There will always be a possibility that there will be bugs and such loopholes like IPā€™s being logged in the sources.
That is why we test and more importantly users also test the applications and ROM and let us know in case there is a IP Logger or some such privacy invading code still there in the code.
When such points are reported we remove them. Which is what happened in this case.
To ask for a guarantee that there will not be any such issues in millions of lines of code is absurd to say the least.
I am sure no software developer on this planet even the big ones like Google, Microsoft, Apple can give a guarantee that there will never be bugs or issue such as the one raise here in their code.
We try our best to remove them if that still does not work we request testers and the community to point them out to us so that it can be removed.
If you can help point out such errors repeatedly asking for a undertaking or a public statement that there will never ever be bug or an issue in the source code till the end of time just does not make any sense.

7 Likes