Privacy protection: MicroG, Whatsapp/Signal and banking apps

After installing E/OS on my FP3 I wonder why MicroG is still active?'Do I need it? Can I shut this off?

I also wonder if installing my banking apps and Whatsapp or Signal won’t destroy my privacy protection, the reason I’ve installed E/OS in the first place.

Thank you very much for your help and have a good day!

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

I would say that microG was central to /e/ Edit E.foundation officially supports microG development (broken link within - replacement is posted below.)

Many use Signal. Whatsapp, no comment, but it is not on my device !

Thank you ver much Aibd. The link to MicroG in your message unfortunately gives me a 404 error.
Rob Braxman is also suspicious of Signal.
Do you have any experience with banking app?

Let’s try this ! e Foundation announces official support of microG development – /e/ – deGoogled unGoogled mobile OS and online services – leaving Apple & Google. I do not do any banking on a mobile device !

1 Like

I shut it off a long time ago, i forgot where it is used for :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes this one works, thanks a lot Aibd. Guess I am allergic to names with google in it :slight_smile: . How do you do banking then? I also need my phone to login on banking app on my PC.

There is this [LIST] Banking Apps that work on /e/OS.

I would not go along with a bank that wanted me to jump though hoops to use their services. I would write to them to tell them that they must organise the security of a connection with you – that you do not want Google involved.

Sorry, I do not follow “banking app on my PC” … on your PC your banking is via a browser and https? That is what I use (when notes and coins run out).

That is a good idea. I am gonna sent them a mail. But I suppose they are busy creating a digtial ID and wallet in which they will leave us no choice.
Yes I meant the browser. When I want to login I still need my phone. Before we had TAN codes for very transaction but those days are over.