Questions from a Prospective /e/OS User

Hi everyone,
I’m excited to make the leap from Android to /e/OS, especially now that I have some spare cash to afford a new phone. For context, I’ve been rocking my dear LG V20 since 2017, using it for casual photos, web browsing, music playing on the go, calls, and messaging. While I’ve done fine with my LG V20 even to this day, I feel it’s time to hop onto a new phone with a de-Googled OS.

That said, I have several key questions to ask before I jump into /e/OS:

1. How is SMS and MMS on /e/OS? For my everyday work, I rely on SMS and sometimes MMS for quick communication. So I’d like to know if there are any SMS/MMS-related hiccups or ongoing issues with the default Message app on /e/OS.
    1. How is phone reception on /e/OS? Sorry if it’s a dumb question, but I’m curious if the phone OS (whether it’s Android, Lineage, /e/OS, whatever) can affect how calls are made and received, since phone calls are my primary means of communication.
    1. This is more on personal experiences, but what phone has felt more stable (i.e. minimal bugs or lag) using /e/OS: the Fairphone 4 or Teracube 2e?

Thank you all ahead of time for your help!

2 Likes

There a more than one V20… Which variant are you talking about

https://doc.e.foundation/devices

1 Like

/e/OS is Android, too, but we know what you mean :wink: .

https://doc.e.foundation/what-s-e

I never had issues with sms nor mms.
Some do - but from what I observe here these issues can be solved like eg over here.

I also never had issues with phone calls whatsoever.
Some phone models seem to suffer from some “echo”-phenomenon at the recipient side. But that’s rare I’d say and I do not remember reading something like that for the two mentioned models.

For both questions it might be worthwile to search the device specific section … or simply give it some more time for answers … :+1:

There are no guarantees of course but I would not expect issues with those two basic phone functions :slight_smile:

so do I

the same for me

I’m using e/OS 1.17 on a Motorola G4 Play for nearly 2 years now.
My plans are to switch to a G5 or a S7 or S7 edge soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Never had issues with phonecalls and SMS/MMS here on my murena FP4 since 2022.
Hth

Phew! Work and commute got me tied up, but I’m here at last to reply.

I believe my V20’s the h918 variant. While it’s good to see that V20 variants have some /e/OS support, I’d like to first explore other phones to pair /e/OS with.

That’s great to hear!

That reminds me: How easy/difficult is it to roll back /e/OS versions on my phone, in case a new /e/OS update has bugs/breakages/etc?

Thank you for the help!

1 Like

I don’t think you can bootloader unlock the LG phones anymore , can you ?

1 Like