S7 or S8 - is there any difference?

Hi @buzzears, you can check your /e/ version and build number by:

1. /e/ version
      About phone > tap Android version > long press on /e/ version > copy to clipboard.
    1. build number
      About phone > long press on Build number > copy to clipboard.

This (the example is of a .zip file) gives the clues about interpreting what you find.

@Ludix makes a good point about stable particularly in this case. I mentioned the possibility of the Pie Unofficial upgrade, but as he points out, that would not receive updates without “skills”. So stable is certainly a better bet.

1 Like

Hello @aibd - Thanks for your input.

When I tap Android version, nothing happens. When I long press Build number, nothing happens, other than a message telling me I am so many steps away from entering into Developer mode (or something similar).

I see under System version that I have the long number followed by ‘-stable-starlte’ I don’t know if that means much.

Thank you.

Hi @buzzears sorry that those tricks do not seem to work on your device!

So your information shows you are on stable and confirms the model Info about Samsung Galaxy S9 - starlte.

1 Like

Cool. Thank you, @aibd

I will go ahead and get an S7 then I think, and add /e/ via the Easy-Installer (and hope my PC keeps going long enough this time).

Thank you, everyone.

2 Likes

The Easy Installer always installs the stable build. Flashing manually normally installs the dev build (as the download links in the manuals refer to the dev build).

Based on the build, you’ll get updates from the respective channel.

The update process is the same, but you get an already tested update on stable. Dev build users are basically the testers for the stable updates, so when the update reaches your dad, eventual problems will be ironed out and the update should be smooth.
In the past there were updates that caused problems. The most promiment one deleted all user data. That’s why I think non-technical or unaware users shouldn’t be on the dev build.

As for your computer. Thermal compound paste is cheap and renewing it is in most cases just a fact of unscrewing a few things.
It dries out after a few years and can lead to the described overheating problem, as the thermal conductivity vanishes. Also, the manufacturers usually use the really cheap stuff. I’d recommend checking that, I’m sure there are videos on youtube if you are unsure.

1 Like

In view of the PC shutdown problem you reported, this is excellent advice again from @Ludix.

You can (fairly) easily check if you have a thermal cutout problem by trying the following command. You will not need root privileges … the small programs sensors and watch are likely already installed, and you can do no harm by just running this command in a terminal.

watch -n 2 sensors

This will give updating information every 2 seconds. Reduce your terminal window and leave it open; hardware varies, but if you see temperatures of say 75°C when say watching a video stream you may soon experience a thermal cutout, easily fixed as above.

Having some lightweight monitor on your system is a good idea for learning, I use conky GitHub - brndnmtthws/conky: Light-weight system monitor for X. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello. Thank you @aibd for that command - when browsing a page or two on the internet it’s at under +40, and when allowing a TV program to run on BBC iPlayer, it reached no higher than +60. It’s a temperamental laptop, and does get a message often when switching on, telling me about the fan having a problem. I looked up what that problem is on the HP website, and it lists a few possible problems and their solutions. So yes, @Ludix - you are very helpful also in telling me about the paste. I had no clue (as you probably guessed by now!), so I will have to find a screwdriver that will allow me to open up the back of the notebook and see what I can clean up and paste up and all of that.
Your help is very much appreciated.
I have a S7 and a compatible data cable on their way to me now.
Thank you again.

Those temperatures are in line with my experience. With a fan problem being reported, that is definitely worth following up. Fans and heat sinks can get a build up of dust. In a laptop there can be very many screws till you get to that stuff. I suggest it’s worth a few minutes with a bright light and hand lens to see if much dust looks as if it could be blown or vacuumed out from the outside. (Be careful not to expose the working parts to any static electricity).

Fans can just get too worn to work well. Fans can also have issues modulating the power. Can you capture the actual fan error message? (This can be a Linux issue - I have some experience of dealing with this if you would like to share.)

Hi @aibd You are very kind, thank you.

The message on switching on my laptop is about the system fan, and mentions cooling, and then gives a code to look up on the HP website, this code being 90B. I am a bit embarrassed to admit I haven’t looked into sorting this out before, although I did get somebody to change the fan in 2016/17, and I sometimes use compressed gas duster into the vents, but this doesn’t make the message disappear. When I say it is temperamental, it’s because sometimes that message does disappear. Sometimes the laptop gets hot, and sometimes it just doesn’t. I think I will pop by my local computer shop today and find a small screwdriver, as I can’t open with the ones I already have.

There can be more than 1 fan, so speculation your repair might possibly have been on the more important CPU fan while the system fan is flaky!

This page HP PCs - 900, 909, 90A, 90B, 90F Error Displays on a Black Screen | HPÂŽ Customer Support seems to show the Windows interpretations (perfectly valid); if you like to share the HP model, I can see if I can find a better Linux reference.

When you are using Easy Installer anything we can do to reduce external errors will be a good thing! :slight_smile:

Maybe this HP link HP Business Notebook PCs - System Fan (90b) error message on startup | HPÂŽ Customer Support explains the practical steps we already covered better.

Agreed! Absolutely, I understand it’s important to have a working laptop when using the Easy-Installer, and I would love for it to work without hiccup this time 'round! (Otherwise I’ll be back here asking for help again and you’ll all get fed up with me!).
I have to go out to an appointment now, but I will try and find out the model hopefully later today/this evening. Thank you for all your help. Much appreciated.

Hello again @aibd
I think I overcomplicated things - you just want the HP model, correct? OK, that’s just ‘HP G62 Notebook PC’. I was just in my laptop looking at the info under BIOS, long enough to write a variety of numbers down, and then I went off to the kitchen for several minutes. On returning to the laptop, it had shut itself down, and on touching it it is very warm. So yep, definitely need to get this machine sorted before using the Easy Installer again.

I am beginning to think that the fan is not controlled directly by the OS. BIOS seems to be mentioned a lot in other people’s bugs and questions. I think this model has only 1 fan.

I know that listening for fan noise will be an issue for you but often knowing any relationship between rising temperature and fan noise will be a clue. A failing fan can often be spotted by its noise, or lack of.

I think it would point to thermal paste being a good route If

• sometimes it can get hot very quickly after startup
  • you thought the fan was producing a consistent breeze from the exhaust but temperatures were rising.

There is a more advanced form of sensors called lm-sensors but it looks like it will give no fan info on this model. I installed the package psensors this should configure itself and produce a graph like this if that might help to tell the seriousness of the problem.

I am a great believer in having a laptop lifted off the desk somehow to improve air circulation.

1 Like

Storytime, as we’re anyways far from topic :smiley:

I once had a HP Pavilion dv7 with an overheating problem. I could hear the fan spinning on high, but it stayed hot. I updated the BIOS, tried vacuuming from outside. It was a potent machine but a consumer device in the end, so a pain to open.
Anyways, it got worse, so I opened it up (had to go trough the keyboard).
And guess what, they seemingly had some problem with the fan production and the case of the fan didn’t had the exhaust port cut open, probably due to a bad tooled injection mold or something.
I cut the port open, replaced the thermal paste and rarely heard the fan from then on.

I also have HP EliteBooks from various generations, and I always replace the thermal paste. Most times the fan won’t even spin up after that. They use such dirt-cheap stuff during assembly (on a device that costs around $1600) that quality paste can make such a difference.

@buzzears also check if you can update the BIOS. This can be a pain on consumer HP BIOS/EFI as it’s laughably bad.

@aibd you provide very good support, I enjoy “working” with you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After viewing the HP webpages, I wondered about updating the BIOS, so thank you, @Ludix for confirming that. They’ve got the instructions (thanks to @aibd for linking those for me), to follow. I just have to get (another) flashdrive, along with the scewdriver I didn’t have time to buy today. And that paste. The refurbished S7 arrived today, and it seems fine. After some shopping I will get on and follow your instructions, and hopefully come back here and announce a clean, fully functioning machine. I am in the UK (I think you already knew this?), so do you have any recommendation regarding a specific brand of thermal compound paste please? Thank you.

No, I had no idea you’re from UK! Nice to know, I visited London two years ago and loved it.

I always use this thermal paste: CoolerMaster High Performance Thermal Paste

To be honest, this was the best one that was in stock, most will be an upgrade to the dried out stuff that resides in your notebook at the moment. Don’t get the cheapest and you’ll likely be fine. If you want to be sure, you can check it out online - there are some communities that are quite enthusiastic about such stuff and and you’ll find loads of information.
Only thing I wouldn’t recommend is the liquid metal stuff that’s so hot right now - that’s for the real enthusiasts.

Good night and feel free to ping me if you need anything

2 Likes

I was a bit slow finding the manual, http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02542102.pdf (I hope you already had a copy :slight_smile: ). Plenty of mentions of fan, Page 77 is a starting point! I notice this device has a “thermal pad”. You may want to get further advice about whether it is a good idea to top up a thermal pad with paste!

There is also mentioned the difference between two variants, with UMA graphics subsystem / discrete graphics subsystem memory.

Edit, going even further into this Off topic, this will be significant for the repair and diagnosis. Can you tell which you have before you start?

Are you able to see the copper heat pipe say with the simple hard drive cover removed. Here are the two different heat pipe variants, discrete on the left, with two pickup points.

fan14fan13

Alternatively, I wonder if the inix command https://www.tecmint.com/inxi-command-to-find-linux-system-information/ is installed on your system. This may help reveal which variant you have:

inxi -G

for a comprehensive list we have:

inxi -Fxz

Lots more options described in the link.

2 Likes

Wow, @aibd - It didn’t even occur to me to hunt down a manual for my machine. Thank you so much for that. It’s now saved to my favourites.

I’ve grabbed a notebook to start listing all these useful commands to refer back to whenever the need arises.

I’ve used the two commands, but they don’t seem to tell me anything about which of the two variants I have.

I’m going out in a short while, via Curry’s or B&Q to pick up a small enough screwdriver, and a USB stick/flashdrive. I see that the last BIOS update was 11.9.2011. I won’t buy paste for the moment, but thank you, @Ludix for your recommendation.

Once I’ve dismantled the machine I will get back to you. Hopefully tomorrow. Many thanks indeed and have a lovely day.

1 Like

Why not use /e/'s Notes app (on the phone or via a the web interface) instead of a paper notebook? Won’t get lost or damaged: accessible from any device with a web browser; easy to share with others. What’s not to like? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you, petefoth - I’m exploring the note feature now - I’ve just shared a note with myself by email. Nifty.

1 Like