SafetyNet on /e/OS Community "dev" devices - let it in or not?

SafetyNet is used by many proprietary apps, like bank apps and the like, so it is absolutely necessary.
Adb root is also a must have, though only at times (for backup or change something out of reach for the regular user).

So I would suggest an easy way to turn adb root on/off, if possible at all

1 Like

Thank you for this poll.
I will definitely not do without Magisk. Not only because it provides a simple way to backup app data and gives much more features for advanced apps but also because there are modules to remove the increasing number of weird “safety features” that come with every new Android version. Additionally I can use the patched Play Store that enables to run paid apps with license check.

I have SafetyNet pass already with the Universal SafetyNet Fix module, so I have both already.

If I understand you correct your poll is only relevant until Android 11. As you already provide Android 12 builds the simplest resolution in my view is to add the option to pass SafetyNet from that build on.

You write that you cannot provide two different builds. But I guess you will provide the option to deactivate that feature for those who want a complete de-googled phone.

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for this poll, it’s nice asking users before such an important change :slight_smile:

At least, could unofficial ROM builders be offered the choice to build with SafetyNet or ADB root?
For example, using Docker method, with a new variable.

This way:

• users unhappy with Murena policy should be able to build their own ROM fitting their need
  • builders for unsupported devices (I’m one of them) could offer 2 ROM images with/without SafetyNet
2 Likes
  1. So do I understand the original post that after we are at e/OS-s (Android 12) that the issue will not apply?

2. I just installed my banking app yesterday on my e/OS-r, but I will never use it just wanted to see if it would install. In the rare emergency I need to use my phone to bank, I can use the browser, yes?

So I guess my opinion is keep adb root, even though I don’t use that either LOL. Can someone clarify my points above?

1. Exact
  2. I wouldn’t be so confident :slight_smile:
2 Likes

I don’t buy buy this argument: there are dozen millions of devices with older versions of Android, and more or less up to date. They cannot sacrify all those customers. This makes difficult to sabotage all this. It’s easier for them to just make our job hard and bet that we will eventually give up. There are also quite a number of legal procedures in the EU and in the US, that probably mark the begining of the end of their abuse of dominant position on the market.

8 Likes

My Noob-User perspective:
People which want a phone that works just as a Google Android should get even that, a Google Android phone.
The rest should be okay with compromises as they value de-googling more than google-like functionality.
And using the browser really is an easy solution for this, I guess there are much harder problems out there…
Thanks for all your efforts /e/ people!

3 Likes

This is exactly why I voted to root ADB over SafetyNet. I’m far from an expert on the subject and everything I’ve learned comes from this forum and my desire to do without google.
I almost only have FOSS apps and the few that don’t are “frozen” or in shelter.
I prefer to keep a good “hygiene” on my smartphone by doing without certain apps (especially banking apps) than keeping SafetyNet.

I really hope that this will be successful. I don’t understand why a banking application should necessarily go through google services.
Thanks again to all the team /e/

1 Like

Well… it really depends on what you mean with “People which want a phone that works just as a Google Android”.

If users want full google services, right.

On our hand, we just want to release a smartphone OS that people can use easily, without being experts in operating system customization, and that lets them use any mobile application without being abused by Google and get all their personal data collected and consolidated to fuel ads business and possibly other, unknown, purposes. We think it’s a fundamental right. Mobile apps aren’t Google Android.

9 Likes

Yes, thats really a great mission and thank yoo for that!
Its just that the useres (especially the non-techies as me) have to be ok to make compromises imo.
Google spends and earns millions with its business, I guess thats not the case with /e/ and will never be. So users should not expect the same level of performance.
That doesnt mean I do not find it grea you try to, again great mission of yours!

And btw., I dont really have an opinion on the original SafetyNet question as its above my understanding. I also never rooted a device, so I dont care.
Its more of a philosophical/general question, but one I find really important. Otherwise I’d keep my mouth wide shut, as I am not an expert on all the tech questions (still super proud I managed to learn to use adb and flash my devices…)
Thanks again!

2 Likes

@GaelDuval @Manoj Did the team came already to a decision?
Cheers

We will share the final decision on all our communication channels. This is a big change and definitely the feedback from the users on this thread will be the prime factor behind the outcome.

6 Likes

I already voted and made my comment, but would like to add a thought:
If the problem will be “naturally” solved for A12+ why not move straight to A12 for every phone (and GSI)?

1 Like

And because banks seem to be hallucinating that “Google = Security” on the internet. :roll_eyes:

I don’t do banking on phones, so I will refrain from voting; I’ll just say that I came to /e/OS to be as free of Google on Android as possible, but I won’t stop using /e/ in any case. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I also commented already, but I’d like to add a bit more. The very reason why we invest money, time and work in getting out of Google’s system is to avoid all things related to them and their aggressive strategies, so why even think of falling back into this trap? I’m not tech-savvy, but I will do whatever is needed to learn to use Murena’s apps instead of Google’s, and to forgo these latter ones. Google is not indispensable. They may make us think that, but it is not true and we do not have to believe it!

3 Likes

The purpose of /e/OS is to offer a fully functional smartphone operating system, compatible with Android apps, without sending any information to Google that can track users, plus pro-privacy features such as Advanced Privacy. That’s really what we are doing, including with SafetyNet support.

If you really want to get out totally from anything from Google, I’m afraid you have to use some Linux based operating system, but this won’t probably be enough since most of the time they are using some Android low-level routines to ensure hardware compatibility.

5 Likes

Yeah, that’s the reasons why a choose eOS for my daily phone, in one words “compatibility”.

1 Like

That maybe your motivation, but not everybody shares it. If you want to “avoid all things related to” Google, then don’t use any devices running any version of Android - Google wrote Android.

Google have made a great phone OS, and have made it open source, allowing all the great custom ROMs to be made. They also make some great apps, some of which can be used in such a way that they do respect your privacy and don’t send any personally-identifiable information to Google.

1 Like

Correction : Google ‘bought’ Android (in 2005) :wink:

1 Like

But Android surely didn’t qualify as a “great phone OS” as early as 2005 when Google bought it :wink: . Promising at best, in some regards.