SAMSUNG Galaxy A7 (2018) - help with first time GSI

So I think we can relax and let the battery recharge for a few hours.

I can see the attraction of a Factory reset from TWRP. I am not certain if it will carry any risk if the “system” got corrupted somehow or edit if TWRP is a non-exact match.

Regarding PBRP, let’s get it on this page!

From PC

ENABLE OEM UNLOCK … on device is done, I believe.

Download PitchBlack Recovery flashable zip from

to your PC - I like that we see “a7y18lte” in the specification.

Extract the PBRP zip

Go to Download mode in your device

Flash the recovery.img by

heimdall flash --RECOVERY recovery.img

Boot into PBRP

All the above uses similar resources to what you did with TWRP.

… then…

Part 2

Copy the zip to internal storage/sdcard

Flash it

Thinking ahead to GSI, you mentioned

i do not know how to do “extracting the kernel and reflashing it with the below command”

We would have to use a different method anyway without fastboot on Samsung.

Let’s see if anyone else can help with a suitable method.

Edit, @AmandaOneill, I see that GSI might not be straightforward, so it is always good to have a Plan B. Knowing that you can always flash a new Samsung ROM is always reassuring while exploring new ideas.

I might well consider doing this at this stage - just for my personal reassurance - and you avoid getting led into what might turn into a slightly more turbulent adventure than the one you started on in your OP! :slight_smile:

1 Like

i havent been able to post due to a 20 hour limit.
however here is my summary of yesterday (sorry for my wording but it seems i wasted my entire day yesterday)
i have been able to reliably boot into pbrp and download mode.
with pbrp i was perfectly able to flash any img i wanted as a system image, however neither pbrp nor my phone ever recognized the flashed image, resulting in the same boot loop.

while it did eat into my wallet a little i ordered a refurbished s9 from the official site, i didnt have a proper phone today, but i will hopefully have one tomorrow.

i would like to say thank you for your help and i really appreciate it.

1 Like

You’ll probably won’t read this anymore but I’ll live it here just in case, you have bricked your phone because you have installed an incompatible firmware your phone is galaxy A7 2018 and you have used a firmware from galaxy A7 2017 the build of this phone and your phone is different that’s why you’ll definitely brick your phone, but you can still recover it by flashing the original firmware via odin you can download the original firmware from Sammobile, after that you can start from the scratch and search for a compatible firmware for you galaxy A7 2018.