Samsung Galaxy S9+ (SM-G965F) /e/ installation TWRP blocked (RMM STATE: Prenormal)

I’ve copied and pasted the content to your new link. Pls have a look. Thanks.

Hi @aibd and Bonjour @piero ,
Thank you for your response.
I have tried a different network SIM card and I was able to perform a phone call so my mobile is definitely unlocked :slight_smile:
What can I try next?

Have all forms of Prenormal disappeared from the Download mode screen ? In which case you are free to take whichever seems the easiest install path.

Edit

It is a bit of a leap for me to suggest TELSTRA is responsible for your locked bootloader – this is separate from a locked SIM. The term Carrier locking is often used referring to SIM locking, but it can occur in Carrier bootloader locking too.

I mean avoid the prenormal state

@aibd I haven’t changed anything on the phone since my first post on this thread :slight_smile: the phone was unlocked since I purchased it (SIM card) by the 1st owner.
RMM State hasn’t changed, it still shows “Prenormal(see image below).

@piero if you could please give some advice (even in French) on how to avoid this Prenormal state, je suis tout ouïe!

@aibd if you think there is nothing I can do then I’ll just abandon here, I have already spent many hours of deception into getting /e/ OS on my S9+ :pensive:

I understand. Re TELSTRA, as a one time stakeholder in the device – and, they might have had RMM installed by Samsung as part of their contract of supply … did you decide not to ask if they might have applied carrier bootlocking.

I have tried to contact Telstra but as I’m using another carrier SIM I couldn’t access their support team so I have to do without them unfortunately :sweat_smile:

Hey, I found this in researching your issue ! It is from Hong Kong; ideally you would try to find your “local” support solution from Samsung, if there is any possibility of lifting the lock without the help of whoever applied it ! https://www.samsung.com/hk_en/support/mobile-devices/how-to-start-remote-management-for-smartphone/ Edit, I now suspect that the clue in the title here is that this will potentially start a new RMM :blush:

https://mobilesupport.telstra.com.au/samsung/

Hi @aibd thanks for getting back to me. I will try to contact the Samsung support team on Monday.
On my side I continued looking for solution and I have found in another forum that other people are having this issue on S9/S9+ updated to the latest security patch.
I have looked at this forum too but couldn’t find a solution to my problem yet.

Should I try to install a specific version of my stock firmware to see if it could fix the issue? If yes which one do you recommand from the below?

I will reflect on that; at first sight is this suggesting that some ROMs mimic what we see on Galaxy S10 series phones where there are special very specific Pre-Install Instructions.

Perhaps you could see if in any way the advice in Pre-Install Instructions here Install /e/ on a Samsung Galaxy S10 - “beyond1lte” could apply to your device. (A bit of a long shot ! )

Aside: that corsicanu link is ineffective for Andoid 10, he does have a more recent link to workarounds for the Galaxy S10 series [RECOVERY][OFFICIAL][3.6.1-x] TWRP for Galaxy S10/e/+/5G Exynos | XDA Forums.

If your device is simlocked by the carrier, TEL is needed to unlock the phone.
Then you can flash XSA (global australia) if you prefer ( less bloatware in comparaison, but as you will wipe /system and /data, gain is relative )
Or the one according to you new carrier ( possible network access gain )

If your device is already carrier unlocked you can choose TEL or XSA or the one according to your new carrier

@piero thanks for your detailed response. As mentioned above in the thread, my device is not sim-locked so I might give it a try with the XSA version and see if this could change the RMM State (currently Prenormal) that is probably the reason why I can’t boot in TWRP.

@aibd thanks for your advice, I’ll have a read and see if there is anything that could help me with my current issue here.
I saw that other people might be having the same issue (ref to the latest message on this thread).
It might be worth for the /e/ team to have a deeper look at this topic.