Samsung Galaxy Tab2 espressowifi (two models 7 & 10)

The guys at e are forward thinking. Probably why you are needed. Somewhere there’s a post that started the process of breaking espressowifi. It probably is something about fingerprint scanner.

https://hackernoon.com/latest-development-updates-eelo-blisslauncher-v2-aa711d8abedf if it helps.

Some problem or recent changes someone made has broke espresso build… maybe eelo

It’s a launcher issue it seems which need to be looked at. Sadly the launcher is not compiled along the ROM, only added prebuild…
Wild guess: it has to do with the blur implementation.
Works fine using a different Launcher.

We’ll run in a circle atm. I need a PC and catch a logcat and see if I find anything.

Ok, removing storage permission from Bliss Launcher makes the glitch go away… Thanks @piero for the finding.

@Chimpthepimp since it’s added prebuild and not compiled along the ROM, could you organize a Bliss Launcher compiled without that permission for Nougat for me for testing?

Edit:
Related to those?

04-24 21:14:26.522   466   553 W PackageManager: Unknown permission android.permission.REQUEST_DELETE_PACKAGES in package foundation.e.blisslauncher
04-24 21:14:26.523   466   553 W PackageManager: Unknown permission lineageos.permission.ACCESS_WEATHER_MANAGER in package foundation.e.blisslauncher
04-24 21:14:26.523   466   553 W PackageManager: Unknown permission lineageos.permission.READ_WEATHER in package foundation.e.blisslauncher

2 Likes

Hello,

Because of “mum and dad” target, all the mainstream apps have to work on /e/, for that compatibility, nearly all doors are open by default.
So when I install an /e/ ROM I have to check many settings :
/Settings /MicroG ( if not, the device go to Gogol house on fist internet connection for IMEI registration to say good bye )
/settings /apps /data usage
/settings /apps /permissions
even for system apps
/Buttons (for comfort, not for security)
/Privacy /Privacy Guard menu advanced
Even for built-in apps
Add Blokada, launch the apps step by step for setting rules (I prefered if it block outing by default and ask what to do)
Even that, I may forget somethings because I’m not security expert.

@GaelDuval might be able to help with this

hi @Android-Andi you can discuss this with @arnauvp explaining what you are trying to achieve. If possible send him a message by clicking on his name and take this up.

1 Like

@archje and friends of espresso ( won’t count wifi out) 3g: found a L14 build in Andi’s filehost that shows promise. :grin:. Thanks @Android-Andi

1 Like

Yes, @Android-Andi’s work is fantastic and shows what is possible when skill, will and time go hand in hand.

3 Likes

thanks to the “beer flu” too

1 Like

Hi Andi,

I’ve brought the issue to the attention of the developer; although tablets are not a priority for us, we appreciate the effort you’re putting and it happens to overlap a similar problem we’re facing on another device we do support, Nexus 4 (mako).

Wild guess: it has to do with the blur implementation.

You guessed right! Storage permission is requested in order to fetch the current wallpaper and apply the blur effect to it. No permission, no blur, no glitch. We are trying to make this process more robust so that if something fails, blur is disabled and the safe approach (black translucent overlay) is used instead.

Could you tell us, for this particular tablet and ROM you’re building, if OpenGL is working properly, and which version is available (2.0 or 3.0)?

Thanks again,
Arnau

2 Likes

Thanks @arnauvp. 2.0 is used on my personal builds (for Galaxy Tab2 family and Samsung Galaxy Nexus) and works fine afaik (official LineageOS Source uses 1.1, 2.0 available but buggy) , but to be 100% sure I would need to test again.

Edit:
Since it also happens on my Galaxy Nexus (maguro) it’s not a tablet-only-thing.

Can you please try this version of the BlissLauncher?

It has the blur effect disabled but still requires storage permission (mostly for the other problem we’re debugging). Let us know if it works without glitches.

1 Like

@arnauvp sure, and thanks a lot! only not sure if I find enough time soon.

Quickly tested and works fine. Thanks!

5 Likes

Problem recognized, problem solved. Bravo! @Android-Andi.
By the way, this is the first and only /e/ OS version e-0.9-n(ougat) with security patch level April 5, 2020

Good job @Android-Andi !!! So nice to see /e/ on quite old stuff !
Is there a way to test it too?
Thank you.

Old device, ok,
but very robust screen, with minimum hardware specifications required for
LineageOS 14.1 based system :
cpu=2x1ghz, cpuoc=2x1.35ghz ,
gpu=200mhz, gpuoc=384mhz
ram=1gb
mem=8go + sd=64go or more
bat=4000ma

Good deal :+1: thanks @Android-Andi