Samsung S8 and easy installer: failed to access device (libusb error)

Hi there,

I’ve been trying to install /e/ on a Samsung S8 using the easy installer.

Everything is fine until the download mode: the Easy installer stops with an error “libusb couldn’t open device - Operation not permitted”.

Here are the details:

• installed on Debian 11 with snap install easy-installer --channel=latest/beta
  • start Easy installer
  • successfully followed each installation steps, until I reboot in Download mode (with “Power + Bixby + Volume Down”)
  • then the Installer stopped and the Installation log shows:
(debug) libusb: error [_get_usbfs_fd] libusb couldn't open USB device [] Operation not permitted
(debug) ERROR: Failed to access device. libusb error -1

Side note: I’m not sure it’s related but Debian’s logs complain about Apparmor and Easy Installer:

linux audit[56818]: AVC apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.easy-installer.easy-installer" name="/home/user/Persistent/core/config/.home/.local/share/fonts/" pid=56818 comm=4A6176614658204170706C69636174 requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=1000

(I’m using symlinks to handle /home configuration files)

Several installation process was ran, and USB authorization was successfully obtained on the phone.

A last thing: this would be great to be able to copy (and paste) the logs from Easy Installer.
I’ve sent them to the support using the button provided in the Installer

All the best,
Cheers

Libusb errors can derive anywhere is the usb chain from PC motherboard to device.

Try a different cable (a cable can transmit data and perform parts of the install but fail to communicate with Download mode – it has been reported that an original Samsung cable behaves this way !).

Avoid USB hubs, sometimes a USB 3 port is provided through such an internal hub. Try to use the USB port actually soldered to the motherboard

Directions to find log included here Howto troubleshoot issues with the easy-installer.

Your local setup might also deny / block the process, unsure.

Edit The libusb error -1 might suggest local settings were resisting snap.

You might care to test this AppImage file of the Easy Installer Problems installing /e/ OS on a Fairphone 4 (using the Easy Installer in Linux Debian) - #2 by Ingo_FP_Angel

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 180 days. New replies are no longer allowed.