Self-hosting /e/ Cloud Services is here!

Thanks for clarification.
Since I’ve been thinking about self-hosting I might try this, if I find time, but I think porting to ARM will be beyond me!
Cheers :slight_smile:

If we install Ubuntu server on Raspberry Pi, will it work ?

As you can read at https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/infra/ecloud-selfhosting, ARM plateforms are not yet supported, and Raspberry Pi is using an ARM processor.

Ok, thanks for responding.

Great happy to see that and we will try ! sure !

Thanks a lot !

does /e/ selfhosting require docker ? what will work and what will not ?

Hello @GaelDuval !
Now this is a great and major release. Even in beta.

A first question comes to my mind yet.
Would it be possible to transfer some kind of a snapshot backup/image of our current e.global account on the self-hosted /e/ server? In order to switch properly without creating a whole new account…

Also, does Spot (SearX) comes as well in the package? This would definitely be the cherry on the cake!

Quite complicated without some significant development, but that’s a good idea.
Spot could be added to this package too, for sure, as well as other services!

1 Like

maybe /e/ could check what Yunohost is doing on its side.
Could be interesting to check how they give the opportunity to non-geek people to adminsitrate a server with apps on it.
Because that’s obviously a common vision you share with them.

Food for thoughts : we could then imagine the ability for each /e/ self-hosted cloud to install one app or another, in a list made and completed by your team. Spot / Only Office / and others… maybe some kind of a Ghost blog platform or Wordpress, Mastodon/Pleroma instance (just like Google had Google Plus), Pixelfed, Matomo, Wallabag, …

2 Likes

I’ve started using ecloud.global - how do I purchase more storage?

You can check the details here

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks @GaelDuval for this great work.
I am just wondering if there are so many people who want or are able to host it themselves.
Actually cloud services are very convinient, highly available and much less effort for hard working people.
The only problem is privacy.

So wouldn’t it make more sense to provide services with end-to-end encryption and cloud-storage with encrypted data?
Then it wouldn’t actually matter, if I can trust the provider of the service or not.
Also recently I read an interesting article (unfortunately in German) about the fact, that smartphones won’t innovate any more. It will be the services connected to many devices. So the services are probably the highest priority. I think it will be hard to substitute all those services of other companies, but what would be really nice was to have a standard for data storage, so that the user could grant or ungrant a service to access a certain user data.

What do you think?

3 Likes

Interesting point, @mad. I just heard something similar on France24 radio from the french philosopher/writer Gaspard Koenig. about allowing the user to move his data from one service to another.

1 Like

Hi
it seems that the part in the bootstrap where letsencrypt nginx autoconfig is happening does not work for subdomains… this is in this script: https://gitlab.e.foundation/e/infra/ecloud-selfhosting/blob/master/scripts/init-repo.sh
and is there an explanation how to setup apache httpd reverse proxy for hosting ecloud on a ecloud.mydomain.de solution in the wiki?
i think letsencrypt is literally unable to verify a subdomain… by design
could you please help me with an idea?

it seems that the part in the bootstrap where letsencrypt nginx autoconfig is happening does not work for subdomains

This is not true, we are testing with subdomains all the time. Could you paste your output to see whats going on?

Apache is not supported.

Specifically out of docker logs ngnix

I changed the router to connect directly to the host running the subdomain, and not via reverse proxy across my webserver httpd conf file. now the bootstrap was working, one thing does not work after installation. actually essential thing. nginx container is crashing/restarting after a few senconds, how can i check the logs in docker?

CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                                                                     COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS                         PORTS                                                                                                                                                                          NAMES
561e12446cbe        registry.gitlab.e.foundation:5000/e/infra/docker-nginx:1.17               "nginx -g 'daemon of…"   16 hours ago        Restarting (1) 8 seconds ago                                                                                                                                                                                  nginx
d0c3d57bc542        registry.gitlab.e.foundation:5000/e/infra/docker-create-account:1.0.0     "python3 -u ./main.py"   16 hours ago        Up About a minute                                                                                                                                                                                             create-account
0a926accd8b5        registry.gitlab.e.foundation:5000/e/infra/docker-postfixadmin:1.0.0       "tini -- run.sh"         16 hours ago        Up About a minute              8888/tcp                                                                                                                                                                       postfixadmin

I found the issue by listing the logs inside the container that was restarting… found a way to list them on stackoverflow.com and also how to change contents of a file… this might be because of a typing mistake and several tries to install the bootstrap, so if i try to install it now after correcting the config files inside the docker container, the nginx is stable BUT when i issue bootstrap now, then this is the result

Sat Oct 12 11:46:39 UTC 2019: Waiting for Nextcloud to finish installation.............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)

I am sure that you have read this since a few days and I wonder if you have an idea what happens, i n the issue tracker it seems that there is a workaround, that has no explanation on how to do that… if i change docker-compose.yml then it will be changed back to original state before it is used in the init-repo.sh script… please could you share at least a workaround, that i could proceed with nextcloud setup? or is there a blocking point for that… maybe this is a issue with nexcloud and not with ecloud… just i dont understand yet what exactly does not work from the few lines that were written by Felix in the issue tracker. Thanks for some time for documentation/communication.

running in the same error… Did you find the solution to that ?