Signal not working properly on /e/

Yes, they all do. I tried Waze right now: same issue.

That’s because you’re using Lineage without microg on your Z5.

I’m not sure where this error comes from tbh. The build for the S10 is still beta, and from august last year, so it’s possible that there are some bugs which are now causing these issues on your end.

As a workaround you might try the microg fork of lineage for your device which should have a more up to date build. https://download.lineage.microg.org/ and try /e/ again when they release version 0.20 also for the R versions, S10 included.

I did install microG as an App aftewards.

But is there any advantage to using the microG fork over regular LOS and installing MicroG after?

Unfortunately, that is probably the route I have to go for now, and hope my issues disappear. I really wanted to try /e/ though. And I have to set up the whole phone with its apps again :/.

Also is there anything I have to be careful about when I install LOS again or simply follow the regular steps?

The main difference from the FAQ:
Why do we need a custom build of LineageOS to have microG? Can’t I install microG on the official LineageOS?
MicroG requires a patch called “signature spoofing”, which allows the microG’s apps to spoof themselves as Google Apps. (…)

It seems like some apps work without that spoofing enabled. (?)

You can follow the official lineage instructions, even when installing the microg fork

obviously because you have already unlocked the bootloader you can skip that part.
Boot into download mode → install the new lineage recovery → boot into recovery → format data & sideload → reboot. (in short)

1 Like

Ok I see, thanks.

But isn’t the fork behind the official one as well? Or isn’t it as much of an issue with that one?

I did use TWRP since Lineage Recovery didn’t work for me. so I’ll be using that. (Sideloading hasn’t worked either so I’ll use the internal storage way)

I don’t think there is any way to use the specific /e/ apps on regular LOS, right? Also is there a real big difference between the regular magic earth and what /e/ provided?

Well whatever works I guess. However it’s unusual that it doesn’t work. There have been reports of some issues with TWRP. So, maybe your device issues are related? Idk.

Afaik no, there is the bliss launcher on Fdroid but that is a bit outdated I guess. Also, the Magic Earth app is exactly the same

I have a feeling Magic Earth is a bit lazy to get going, it seems to prefer something other than GPS when first used. Please try (at least first off) to use it after you have been outdoors for >20 minutes preferably with mobile data turned off.

https://lineage.microg.org/#faq

I hope not. But Odin would crash every time I would try the Lineage-Recovery, and since I am on windows this is probably my best bet.

You might try Heimdall | Glass Echidna instead of Odin, which is also recommended in the install guide

1 Like

I’ll try it with TWRP first if it still fails I can try Lineage-Recovery with Heimdall, although I did have issues with Heimdall in the past, and is it really safe to simply install another recovery?

Edit: Lol, when I boot into recovery now I’m greeted by eRecovery

Edit: So at 47% I get the message on my phone: “signature verification failed Install anyway?” This appears to be a different message than mentioned in another thread. But I’ll treat it the same for now.

Yes, you can replace it however you want. It should correspond to the custom ROM and version of course.

1 Like

This is not a fail message … 47% is “job #1 done” … Signature is absent, so verification has to be omitted … the next part generally succeeds silently … so overall that is a success message! :slight_smile:

As you are considering “starting over” I do think you could try to dig deeper into why LineageOS has the pre-install instructions. It is possible that Samsung has added an extra level of locking, not seen on earlier devices.

1 Like

What’s the reason for that?

I think the main reason I failed in the past with the recovery was vbmeta. I might check which recovery I have now since it is a bit weird to me that I installed TWRP but got eRecovery after installing /e/

Also after installing LO 18.1 w/ microG signal worked again quite fine without any issues. (I was greeted by the no google services and captcha message on FOSS)

Also, Magic Earth is showing my correct location although it and Osmand are telling me they do not have GPS even though location permission is set. Btw which one would be the better Maps substitute? Unfortunately Waze doesn’t have a walker option.

When I first installed lawnchair 2 it crashed a few times and caused my screen to flicker, but after rebooting everything is fine so far.
IMO the touchscreen sometimes doesn’t respond as good, but this could just be my imagination

Signature is absent, so verification has to be omitted … What’s the reason for that?

/e/ uses an unsigned image. So, when it is available, you untick the “verification” box. :slight_smile:

I like https://opentracksapp.com/

1 Like

Gmaps?
Then Magicearth

1 Like

Just saw that there is an update that was released yesterday. I tried OTA? over the settings but it wouldn’t download, so I copied the URL in Brave and downloaded it there. I think there was some thread about updating Samsung on here - will take a look at it later. Updating a custom ROM should be possible without deleting everything, right? Setting up a phone from scratch every two weeks would be kind of a pain.
Edit: I had to disable Netguard, download is working now, let’s see if I can update though.

Edit: OTA doesn’t work the update always fails. Although it did install the update from mid-December

Edit: Manual update over Recovery worked fine, according to Lineage doc, which btw is what I have as recovery. How does that happen?

You may have selected something like “recovery update” during the first /e/ boot setup

2 Likes

lineage also defaults to updating recovery by default now - which makes sense for most use cases. So they will in that case also overwrite the old one, I guess.

1 Like