Smartphone backup (nandroid)!

Since Lineage and /e/ stopped using TWRP as standar recovery there is a lack in nandroid backup.
Because of there is no other way (but please if you know an alternative write here please) to do a FULL (complete) backup of an Android devide I suggest to implement it on the /e/OS recovery.
It will shall work also with encripted nand.

Can you cofirm this lack or suggest me how to do a FULL backup of my /e/OS phone ?

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/OS the deGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

Seedvault is built into /e/OS now.

Settings > System > Backup.

seedvault is not working and is NOT a FULL backup of the system.
Can seedvault save and restore all wifi access point memorized on my smartphon’s user “Job” (and not only principal) to my PC ? Howto?

1 Like

This lack was already there before on devices where TWRP doesn’t support decryption of user data …

Backing up Internal Storage seems tricky, so TWRP leaves that out by default … https://twrp.me/faq/backupexclusions.html. TWRP backups by default were never complete.

Adding to that, the user data partition in recent Android is mandatorily encrypted, getting decryption to work in TWRP is tricky, so TWRP leaves this to individual device maintainers to support, or not … https://twrp.me/faq/encryptionsupport.html.

Something is coming to /e/OS supposedly regarding backup …

Since /e/OS supports Rooted debugging (which isn’t rooting the device, but only gives root to ADB), you could have a look at solutions able to use this, like perhaps

As a user, you can always copy Internal Storage via USB or other means, and you can always reinstall the OS by keeping the install files and tools.
With rooted ADB you should be able to access the part of the data partition you normally as a user can’t cover with a backup.

and where is ?
Seems crazy that I have to make manual partial backup of my android device in 2024 !

It’s almost as if Google made backing up Android pretty hard once you don’t use their cloud for this, but how would they profit from doing this, I wonder? … Apart from totally unintentionally promoting their own services while generating user dissatisfaction outside of their well-sheparded realm, of course.

3 Likes

why not to denounce for violating art. 101 and 102 of the TFUE ?

Sure, why not. Go right ahead and do it.

Done. But AGCM does not listen one single claim with the right priority…

1 Like

there is no FULL SYSTEM backup (and restore) on /e/OS2.0-r-20240506399551-stable-dreamlte !! :expressionless:
please let me know if I am wrong

the only way is to decryp phone and use twrp but seems they forget also the “decrypt” button (encryption seems irreversible)
plese let me know what’s wrong

The backup bit was given under …

It’s not the end of the year yet, and as always in software, I wouldn’t be surprised about delays.

User data encryption has been mandatory in Android for a while now.

You can’t have nice things :wink: .

1 Like

You could try this for data only. The remainder could he done from TWRP

https://github.com/Magisk-Modules-Alt-Repo/data_backup

Unfortunately one needs root

please forgive my bad english and let me know what part of “FULL SYSTEM” let people understand “DATA ONLY”.

For data only I can use a copy + paste function fromw every file explorer on the smartphone or on the attached PC. I can use also neobackup or titanoim backup to restore user or system app with or without their datas.

I am looking for a systema backup (operating system, root, multiple user, system configurations, profiles, and also but not only app and their data…)

Just as example look to TimeMachine for Apple OSX (I do not need exactly the same with automatic, incremental, planned, background, live system+data backup with special effects background during restore but if you find an equivalent for Android let me know: I will be very happy to use it)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.