Telegram - Is it really reliable?

I’m glad you like it, thank you

Well this is really sad

1 Like

I think Threema isn’t bad at all. It is just the closed-source nature of the application and whole system that irks a few.

@facb69
“Telegram uses the MTProto protocol for end-to-end encryption and client-server encryption. The protocol is open and there are no known vulnerabilities. Version v2.0 is formally verified, meets IND-CCA criterion and uses RSA-2048, AES-256 cryptographic and SHA256 hashing primitives. Telegram has received strong criticism from experts cryptographers for both the design defects (use of the SHA1 hashing primitive and the absence of the IND-CCA criterion) in version v1.0 corrected with version v2.0 and for the design of a new communication protocol instead of using a tested one.”

“To protect the data that is not covered by end-to-end encryption, Telegram uses a distributed infrastructure. Cloud chat data is stored in multiple data centers around the globe that are controlled by different legal entities spread across different jurisdictions. The relevant decryption keys are split into parts and are never kept in the same place as the data they protect. As a result, several court orders from different jurisdictions are required to force us to give up any data.”

“Thanks to this structure, we can ensure that no single government or block of like-minded countries can intrude on people’s privacy and freedom of expression. Telegram can be forced to give up data only if an issue is grave and universal enough to pass the scrutiny of several different legal systems around the world.”

1 Like

Thanks for the info.
Lots of friends and companies on IT camp use it here in Brazil but I still can’t get used to Telegram.

1 Like