They stole my phone

Hello everyone,

Firstly i want to say thank you again for your kind messages and good advices, i come here to bring you some interesting news and thoughts that i had with my current situation and how to handle with phone stealing after “the event”.

Some days after i opened this topic my girlfriend received some calls from the stealer using my old phone. To do this he used wifi and my the app that i used to send messages with my girlfriend as replacement to whatsapp : Signal.

Luckily because i recently installed a new ROM there was very few and not intersting data inside my phone, just three messages to my girlfriend and no photo but this was enough for the stealer to try things.

She took the call and she couldn’t understand anything, the guy seemed to be with many people talking at the same time, maybe the stealer was in a shop or in a crowd, but this fact confirmed that he took the time to take a look everywhere on the phone.

I changed every passwords but one security issue concern Apps using phone number authentification like whatsapp, because here i need my phone number to take contol back. For this, i conclude that ordering 2 sim cards for the same phone number can be a layer of security to have the time to lock this kind of accounts before blocking the line.

I told the police about that, i was angry because even if i brought them the IMEI the stealer was still able to use my phone many days after to use my messaging app throught wifi.

They told me that IMEI process can take much time (around 7 days), i told them that maybe they could try to track my phone if the stealer is using it but i think that i was talking to people living in the 90ies, …

Later my girlfriend received two phone calls from two different phone numbers, i was with her to listen and try to make the guy talk. It was a young guy, speaking with a weird accent, and trying to maybe i don’t know …having a date with my girlfriend like a teenager that was a little bit funny. I brought the numbers to the police, they did nothing … well they looked bored and they told me that most of the time stolen phone are sold in foreign country and that stealers use temporary sim card bought in little shops and that’s difficult to track them blablabla to me it just sounds like “we don’t have time and we don’t have means to do our job”.

I don’t understand why there is not a “cyber police” for this cases, … anyway …

I ordered my SIM card and i never received, i’m talking about that to share an other conclusion : choosing a good phone network provider (with efficient and easy-to-call assistance, stable financial situation, good network, good commercial assistance, special services and maybe other options to customize everything) is an other very important layer of security (the price is the worst criteria to choose a phone network provider, “never trust the price”, that’s what i learned here).

And a last thing : when i bought my xiaomi phone, the seller told me that xiaomi phone can easily run other custom ROM, but he didn’t told me that xiaomi add a security layer that involve to connect the phone with a xiaomi account and wait 7 days to get “the permission” unlock bootloader with their own software (i loved this so much i will never buy xiaomi products anymore, their official ROM is a personal data vaccum that’s terrible)

2 Likes

Thank you for your story :yum:

Personally, I bought a second-hand Samsung Galaxy J5 2015 especially for /e/ (I didn’t know how to build /e/ for my device at this time) one year ago, but the next phone I will buy will be the PinePhone if /e/ is available on it and works great (no freeze or things like this).
I don’t want a phone without kill switches anymore, because even in Plane Mode H24 my EMEI could leak to cell towers, and my location would be known.
But that’s another topic :wink:

2 Likes

If you will have a lot of Valium in your pockets, than PinePhone will be OK. It’s sooooo slow like Android Froyo devices

I use Locker which can be found in the App Store and FDroid. It let’s you set the number of failed pin entries before it wipes the phone. Also you could use Sophos which I think has a remote wipe feature via text message?

3 Likes

As you were all talking about encryption, I tried to encrypt my Samsung S5 Mini and Samsung A5 2017. Both were not able to startup /e/ subsequent to the encryption: The S5 mini was stuck in a reboot loop (Android startup was showing, then the /e/ logo, then again from the beginning. The A5 just startet TWRP.
Any ideas?

Sadly there are encryption issues on a lot of Samsung phones (with LineageOS too). From my experience, if you can’t access /e/, you have to format the data partition (to ext3 and then back to ext4 for instance) to boot on /e/ again.

1 Like

Yes, thanks, that’s what I actually had to do =/

But is there another way for encryption for Samsung?

Before you encrypt your phone, try to go to TWRP > Advanced Wipe > select data > Repair or Change File System > Resize File System > swipe to confirm.
Try to encrypt. It might work, that’s what I need to do for my J5 2015. It’s not sure at all though.

Unfortunately, this did not work for my S5 mini. So I will not give it a try on my A5 2017 which I already spent a lot of time on setting it up.

I dared to encrypt my Samsung A5 2017 after resizing the file system via ADB. The encryption actually started this time. Somehow, it only took about 10 minutes though. Unfortunately, after booting /e/ afterwards, nothing worked at all. All non-stock apps we named like their APKs or sth. like that and error messages of terminated apps popped up all the time (printer spooler and trusted agends).
So I wiped the device and reinstalled /e/ and then, again, encrypted it. This time encrypetd only took less then 5 min. The error messages remain and, additionally, it seems as if wifi and lte were deactivated every 30 s and then there is a connection for 10 s then it is deactivated again. Also, the screen turns black and stays black without the option to unblock for 10 some seconds maybe once a minute =(
I would like to know who was able to encrypt their A5 2017 (as it is mentioned here as encryptable).

EDIT: Added screenshots.

Sorry to read this.

I haven’t enought knowledge to help you on this but i hope that you might reinstall /e/ and use your Samsung A5 again without encryption at least.

That’s weird to see such behaviour… Maybe you didn’t resize it correctly or I don’t know.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.