Trebuchet as default launcher

try lawnchair from f-droid v11

Indeed that’s the one I use, the best I have found.

yeah but then i would have 3 launchers installed on my phone
my idea was to remove bliss and only use trebuchet

Hi, Try Omega Launcher. It works.

Omega Launcher is the fork of Lawnchair

1 Like

Even installing and using another one, you cannot uninstall BlissLauncher

uninstall bliss = dead os

It seems really nice, thanks!

Not if you install another launcher (e.g OpenLauncher, Lawnchair, Omega) before you uninstall Bliss. See this post for details of how to uninstall Bliss (or any other system app)

Trebuchet is already present in /e/OS (as a system app), but cannot be started in the UI. But you can try uninstalling trebuchet as described in that post (its id is com.android.launcher3), then install it as a user app.

Good luck

4 Likes

This is Trebuchet version 8.10.0.22 in /e/OS:

In the Settings I can choose which start app to use. I didn’t remove Bliss Launcher so I could go back if I would like to.

There are much more good launchers, for example ZIM-Launcher from F-Droid etc. It’s a matter of taste. You may try different ones and then choose the one you like the most.

I think it’s no problem to have more than one launcher installed. They only use about 2-5 MB of storage each.

1 Like

i think its a problem to have an app that i wont use at all
not the fact the it only uses 2 BM

Extremely late but im gonna say this anyways as a FYI for anyone who stumbles apon this. The trebuchet launcher does still exist in /e/os today. You just can’t select it as the default launcher nor open it normally. It’s hidden like the file manager usually is on stock android

1 Like

Thank you for pointing this out. That is probably the reason that no current Trebuchet version can be installed in parallel. That’s why it worked with the older version.
Is there a way to activate it?
(In the meantime, however, I have switched to Lawnchair, as it also allows alternative icon packs to be used).

2 Likes

Ah I see. I should try that when my new phone gets shipped to me. I was always wondering why it was still there in the first place actually. I assumed it’s that they couldn’t find a way to get rid of it without breaking the system or didn’t want to try so they just kind of buried it. I don’t know they may have it documented somewhere I didn’t bother to look

/e/ use Trebuchet to provide the ‘Recents’ functionality (i.e. the display of recently used apps that happens when you press the square navigation button). They diable the ability to use Trebuchet as the default Home screen launcher because, if two functioning launcher apps - e.g. Bliss and Trebuchet - are installed on the device, then the user will be offered a choice of which to use by default during first time setup. This is not acceptable to /e/ - see this comment in gitlab - because too much choice would be too confusing for their target users, so they disabled Trebuchet.

4 Likes

much easier way is to use AppManager https://github.com/MuntashirAkon/AppManager and in some repository on F-Droid (I have got update vie F-Droid).
open trebuchet aplication in AppManager go to Activities. From there you can open various parts of Trebuchet.
Mind you may need to use adb to activate tcpip, root and remount to get full functionality including messing with some files and settings
simply plug phone, enable usb debugging, enable wireless debugging (for ease of use and much better portability, if it comes to being able to control some aspects of how your phone and apps are running, while not tethered with computer via USB), and fire up AppManager. It should start in adb mode and switch into root mode. If not, then go to settings > mode of operation - adb or wireless debugging (no need to set root here, as it will switch itself). If you enabled tcpip, then enter tcpip port instead of wireless debugging port and save yourself pairing t wireless debugging. I am running in wireless debugging mode on either wireless debugging port or tcpip port.

You can freeze applications here too, which is useful (I used to have 3 phone call recorders and was trying the best one, but I since switched into BCR - Basic Call Recorder as system app)

I do not have root. I am just using what userdebug gives. I still can access everything on phone and write everywhere. It is bit dangerous, but I don’t care - I have 2 identical devices and experiment on secondary phone.

The easiest thing to do is to throw blisslauncher in the trash can and leave Trebuchet, which is excellent and much better.
They should stop wasting time reinventing the wheel and stop touching what works.
So, we have to install other launchers because blisslauncher is horrible while trebuchet works like clockwork; now, for example, many of us have problems with e-drive while nextcloud syncs perfectly on computers without /e/OS.
Hey! That we are paying and this must work, stop wasting time or we will have to leave our money elsewhere.

I am using NextCloud too. It does work very well most of times. The bigger setup you get the more edge cases you will discover. I have it in home on 8 SAS3 SSDs in LVM RAID6 (hardware RAID led to crash and I have recovered LVM RAID6 crash once already, so have know how). On phone I backup multiple folder (e.g. molly backup, sms import/export …). This sometimes lead to nextcloud simply not syncing some files for short amount of time, but it works. Ultimate privacy is when you hold all your data home and encrypted.