Trebuchet as default launcher

Thank you for pointing this out. That is probably the reason that no current Trebuchet version can be installed in parallel. That’s why it worked with the older version.
Is there a way to activate it?
(In the meantime, however, I have switched to Lawnchair, as it also allows alternative icon packs to be used).

2 Likes

Ah I see. I should try that when my new phone gets shipped to me. I was always wondering why it was still there in the first place actually. I assumed it’s that they couldn’t find a way to get rid of it without breaking the system or didn’t want to try so they just kind of buried it. I don’t know they may have it documented somewhere I didn’t bother to look

/e/ use Trebuchet to provide the ‘Recents’ functionality (i.e. the display of recently used apps that happens when you press the square navigation button). They diable the ability to use Trebuchet as the default Home screen launcher because, if two functioning launcher apps - e.g. Bliss and Trebuchet - are installed on the device, then the user will be offered a choice of which to use by default during first time setup. This is not acceptable to /e/ - see this comment in gitlab - because too much choice would be too confusing for their target users, so they disabled Trebuchet.

4 Likes