[UNOFFICIAL BUILD] (Updated) Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact (lilac) e-1.5.1-s-20221110

Welcome @Kracien to the world of privacy-respecting custom ROMs :slight_smile:

That’s correct. Nobody has made the Sony stock camera app work on Android versions beyond Android 10 /Q/. Interestingly, there is a new FOSS camera app called Aperture, which is available in LIneageOS 20 / Android 13 builds (see below), and is apparently much better than OpenCamera (used in /e/OS) and Snap and Camera2 used in earlier versions of LineageOS. I don’t know whether its as good as the stock Sony app, as I’m not a camera expert.

Yes, it was an official /e/ device for a while, but /e/ did not want the /e/OS ROM for lilac to include the stock Sony Camera. They asked the ROM maintainer (me :slight_smile:) to remove the Sony app, but I didn’t want to, so the device stopped being official. /e/ cotinued to make builds, but they were only available as OTA updates for people who had downloaded and installed it when it was official and publicly available. However, you can get your hands on it if you want it - see below

/e/OS

• The latest official /e/OS version is Q, and though it isn’t publicly availabe for download, I did download the OTA updates andthem make them available in my AndroidFileHost account. The latest I have is e1.4-q-20220923220853dev and I believe it still has the stock camera. If you install that, there may be later versions available as OTA updates.
  • If you can live without the stock Sony camera app, then I have made unofficial builds of later versions /e/OS - the latest is e-1.9-s-20230312-UNOFFICIAL. These unofficial builds don’t get OTA updates, but I try to make builds available soon after /e/ release a new version.

LOS

• The upstream developer FlameFire makes LOS 17.1 / Android Q versions with the stock camera app (as well as 18.1 / R and 19.1 / S versions). He makes normal LOS builds and Lineage4Microg builds. They are available in his AndroidFileHost account and supported in this XDA forum thread. The latest Lineage4Microg build is from 25th February. Again, these don’t get OTA updates, but the developer does make regular releases for you to install manually. The updates can usually be ‘dirty flashed’ with no loss of user-installed apps and data
  • If you want the very latest, then Lineage OS 20 / Android 13 builds are available:

TWRP Recovery

Get the latest TWRP recovery for this device - which will work with whatever Android versions or OSs you choose - from SourceForge. If you stumble across a version of /e/'s Recovery for this device, do not try to use it: it was built but never tested, and it doesn’t work :slight_smile:

All the ROMs I build for this device - /e/OS, LIneageForMicroG, and IodéOS - are available in my AndroidFileHost account. If you have any more questions about /e/OS or TWRP for lilac, please feel free to post them here. If you want more information about LineageOS or IodéOS, please either send me a private message or ask in the XDA forums linked above or the IodéOS forums - these forums are for supporting /e/OS.

Good luck, and have fun

1 Like

Hi @petefoth , so much good information in your neat answer, thanks a lot.

I’ll begin with 17.1 ROM. My priorities are perfect phone call and SMS, battery efficiency, compatibility with bank apps. Up to date apps thanks to f-droid and aurora, I don’t care about other stores.
(Tempted too by your bleeding age ROMs, if I can test enough to be confident in phone call reception sturdiness.)

Thanks again for kind help.

A short report of my tests.

Lineage 20 based ROM : not extensively tested because of the camera app still being limited to 8MP.
I’ll stay on 17.1 with stock camera. I hope EOL is not too close yet. At least until lineage camera is improved. Only one flaw found : bluetooth crashing after re-entering TWRP (not required one ROM is flashed, it was just to better understand the tool, so easy fix : don’t do that). I read you had same bug once.

Thanks again.

I have uploaded the latest official Android 10 / Q build - which has the stock Sony camera, as well as /e/'s OpenCamera fork - to AndroidFileHost
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=4279422670115732504

You can always find the latest builds for lilac in this AndroidFileHost folder

Here’s a new CUSTOM build made from the v1.10s tag. (See here for information about build types)

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=4279422670115735398

Like previous builds, the reason it is CUSTOM rather than UNOFFICIAL, is that in this build it is possible to use Trebuchet as the default Home / Launcher app. If you clean flash the build, you will be offered a choice between Trebuchet and Bliss at the end of first time setup. This was achieved by changing two lines of code, (shown in the patch in my earlier post).

I have clean flashed the build and it seems to work: the test phone boots up fine, internet access via WiFi work, fingerprint scanner works. I’ve not tried calls SMS and mobile internet because I don;t currently have a spare SIM lying around. But there’s not reason why it shouldn’t work :wink:

It should dirty flash OK over previous unofficial and custom S builds, but - as always - use at your own risk.

Release notes not yet available for 1.10 builds but they should be here soon

And here is the latest official dev build e-1.10-q-20230416280390-dev-lilac.zip

https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=10620683726822049173

1 Like

Latest official v1.11-r-dev and custom v1.11-s builds now available at AndroidFileHost

Official version:
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=10620683726822056115

When I did the OTA update over v1.10-r-dev, the Settings app kept stopping and I had to do a factory reset. That was probably my error - I am constantly swapping bewteen different ROMs and Andrid versions on my test phone - but probably worth backing up your apps and data before flashing or applying the update

Custom version
https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=10620683726822056114

I dirty flashed this over v1.11-r-dev and everything worked fine, but… :slight_smile:
This has the latest changes from the upstream unofficial LOS build so it may include “smart charging”, and the other goodies in the latest release of that ROM, but I’ve not tested them.

/e/OS release notes for 1.11 are here

Have fun

Hi,
I’m totally new to Android (from iOS). Bought an XZ1 Compact a few weeks ago and it finally arrived not too long ago. Been mulling over what to do with it. At first I thought I’d try it use it out of the box as is by manually disabling google’s analytics stuff but after messing with it for a bit I got tired of it. It’s a Docomo branded phone from Japan so it came with a ton of their unremovable bloatware on it.

I’m interesting in using /e/OS but I’m not sure where to start. As I’ve said I only have experience with non-jailbroken iPhones so this is a new world for me. I could use some help getting pointed in the right direction as far as installing one of these builds goes. Out of the box my phone is running Android 9 and it doesn’t look like I can update it higher.
What do I need to do to start the process of installing /e/OS on this thing? Sorry if this isn’t the right place to ask.

1 Like

Right now I appear to be stuck in the bootloader phase. My device’s status is
BOOTLOADER UNLOCK ALLOWED: NO
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQrAVqZPDJU
Seems like I can change that using a tool called qUnlock Tool, but I’d have to pay money for it. Has anyone else used or have experience with this tool and is reputability? The site for the tool also wants me to put my IMEI in, but I dunno if it’s safe to do that or not.

edit: After reading around a bit more it seems like the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact SO-02K Model is rather notorious for not having any easy ways change the bootloader unlock allowed from NO to YES without putting your faith in a sketchy looking closed source program you have to pay for. What are my options? I can return the phone. For now I’m just going to wait for a second opinion because this is clearly way too advanced for someone of my Android experience to be looking into without guidance and I don’t want to do something stupid that will brick the phone.

This phone is basically worthless to me if I can’t get /e/OS or some other custom ROM put on it. I really hate the out of the box Docomo Android experience, and probably the out of the box Android experience in general. Wouldn’t imagine tamping down the spyware on something like a Pixel would be much less of a headache.

As far as I know, the Docomo XZ1 Compact (model number SO-02K) is a different model - made for the Japanese market - from the normal XZ1 Compact (model number G8441).

I don’t know whether /e/OS builds (either this build or the official Android Q build), or the unofficial LineageOS builds on which /e/OS is based, will even work on your model. So I’m sorry I can’t help.

Best to ask in one if the XDA forum threads for this device: https://forum.xda-developers.com/f/sony-xperia-xz1-compact-roms-kernels-recoveries.6930/

Hey thanks for the quick reply. As far as I’m aware there are 3 different models of the XZ1C.

• SO-02K was the one sold in Japan through Docomo, some even with Docomo branding on the back. Apparently it lacks NFC according to one website? :crossed_fingers:
  • G8441 I think was the North American model whose fingerprint scanner didn’t work for reasons. (Does it work when putting a custom OS on it like Lineage or /e/?
  • G8442 was a planned model that was going to have dual SIM support but apparently it got cancelled at the last minute. Shame.
  • D5503 is a model that is incorrectly listed on GSMarena. That’s a model of the Xperia Z1 Compact. So actually there’s only 2 real models.

Given all of this headache I think I might just return this one and buy one with a permissable bootloader. It’d save me 25 bucks. What do you think? I might try asking around on XDA tomorrow as well. Wish I had known about all of these model difference shenanigans before putting down the money though.

https://www.phonemore.com/compare/phones/sony-xperia-xz1-compact-g8441-vs-sony-xperia-xz1-compact-so-02k/7006911
Maybe this will shed some light. They’re both Lilac, I can see that at least.

Following @petefoth’s earlier advice I found https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/can-xz1-compact-so-02k-run-custom-roms.4261539/ – might be worth a read before you decide to RTS.

As far as various models I consulted https://storage.googleapis.com/play_public/supported_devices.html and found

Retail			Marketing Name,		Device,	Model
Branding,

Sony,			Xperia XZ1,			701SO,	701SO
Sony,			Xperia XZ1,			G8341,	G8341
Sony,			Xperia XZ1,			G8342,	G8342
Sony,			Xperia XZ1,			G8343,	G8343
Sony,			Xperia XZ1,			SO-01K,	SO-01K
Sony,			Xperia XZ1,			SOV36,	SOV36
Sony,			Xperia XZ1 Compact,	G8441,	G8441
Sony,			Xperia XZ1 Compact,	SO-02K,	SO-02K
1 Like

That same poster reported issues with those Lineage builds later on: https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/rom-havoc-os-4-6-official-r.4225905/page-6#post-84928749

Seeing issues with the SO-02K version of this phone on Lineage builds as recent as 18.1 makes me a little uneasy… especially knowing that /e/OS is a fork from Lineage. I’d imagine I could run into similar demons if I tried to install it. Not entirely sure though, still new to all of this so I don’t know a whole lot. Several users have also pointed out that NFC breaks on the Docomo model but not the western one for some reason. It’s a tiny thing, but irksome nonetheless.

Honestly it might just be worth it getting the North American model for the peace of mind knowing that it’s something petefoth and other users have tested and confirmed stuff to be working with.

In general, when deciding on a device, you want to first check the official /e/OS devices list, as well as the unofficial devices list, both of which can be found by searching these forums. Any device you choose must exactly match the full model number of that device on the list(s).

As /e/ is built on LineageOS, you can usually check XDA Developers forums for further information on specific models, in addition to /e/'s release notes. If you install an /e/OS official build, your device will receive periodic over-the-air updates of the installed /e/Android version. If you install an unofficial build, you will generally have to manually download and install any updates that become available. Your data and apps are preserved in either case, unless something goes wrong.

Depending on which country you’re in, you also want to make sure that any device you choose is certified for VoLTE on at least one of the three major carriers, because VoLTE capability is a requirement for activation and usage in some countries, e.g. the U.S. (The XZ1C G8441 is certified for VoLTE on T-mobile and any MVNO that uses T-mobile’s network.)

If there is no /e/ build for a device that has a LineageOS build and which is certified for VoLTE on available carrier(s) in your country (if VoLTE is required… and if it’s not currently required, it likely will be at some point), then you could create a device request thread for it in these forums; with enough interest, the /e/OS developers (or experienced forum members) might consider building it.

Another option available to you, if there is no /e/ build, is to install LineageOS with microG instead, and limit as much of G–gle’s exfiltration of data as you can, by using free(dom)-and-open-source apps from F-Droid instead of the Play store (as much as possible), and by installing a tracker-blocking app to block unwanted background connections. (MicroG is a replacement for G–gle Android services that helps to protect your privacy, but which may render some apps from the Play store inoperable, I believe.)

Hope this info helps somewhat. :slight_smile:

P.S. Don’t choose a Samsung. The bootloader of U.S. variants (Qualcomm) can’t be unlocked, and the EU variants (Exynos) lose VoLTE capability upon unlocking.

3 Likes

By the way, here is Sony’s official unlocking service:

https://developer.sony.com/develop/open-devices/get-started/unlock-bootloader/

1 Like

Very well written, that helps me a lot and will surely help people coming here from search engines.
For me I picked the XZ1C specifically because I saw this thread before buying it, and the form factor and inclusion of an 3.5mm jack. If not for petefoth’s efforts I probably would have bought an XZ2C instead.
I have a sneaking suspicion VoLTE isn’t working on this device for me, as while I can make calls they sound atrocious. Could just be the speaker quality though. If anyone else has an XZ1C could you opine on the speaker quality of the device? From what I’ve tested out of the box with the SO-02K variant I bought I’m pretty unimpressed compared to iPhone SE 2016’s single speaker. Also, with /e/OS installed does anyone know if the fingerprint scanner works? I know it’s normally not supposed to function on the G8441 model.

I’ve visited the Sony unlocking site before but unfortunately it’s only for unlocking devices that allow bootloader unlocking, and mine doesn’t without paying a sketchy tool (qUnlock / S1 Network Unlock Tool) a ransom fee of $25 change bootloader unlock allowed from NO to YES. I’ve read multiple testimonies of people on the XDA forums that have said it works, but no one has explained how it works so I don’t really trust what else it could be doing to your phone or computer.

:ballot_box_with_check: After reading through your post I think I’ve decided I want to return the phone and try again with a XZ1C G8441 model. My only other options as far as Android phones go is the XZ2C which doesn’t have a headphone jack and is pushing the limits of what I would consider to be a compact form factor or the Cubot Pocket, which also lacks a 3.5mm and might actually be too small for me with its 2:1, 4" display. Would be a great work phone though.

I doubt the Japanese DoCoMo model is certified for VoLTE on any US carriers. If it is, after you insert the SIM card for a US carrier, you should see the menu item “VoLTE” appear in the network settings, and a toggle to turn it on. If it’s not there, then the device is not certified for VoLTE with that carrier. (The G8441 only gets VoLTE with T-mobile USA, as far as I know.)

Using VoLTE will improve the audio quality of phone calls. If there’s no VoLTE, then you’re defaulted to the legacy 2G GSM tech for calls. (Of the US carriers, only T-mobile and MVNOs that use that network still have a 2G network, and not ubiquitously, and not forever, most likely.) VoLTE on the T-mobile USA network works great on my G8441 (although I currently have a recent problem with the ear speaker not conveying sound, so I have to use headphones [EDIT: or loudspeaker] for calls at the moment; it’s an issue that has already been raised with the developers).

My G8441 has the fingerprint scanner settings, and it probably works, but I don’t like the idea of storing my fingerprint image on connected devices, as I consider it a security risk. So I haven’t tested it. [EDIT: OK, I tested it, and it works. Then I deleted the fingerprint.]

I think you’re wise to return the Japanese model. About the XZ2C, if you’re considering it as an option, remember to investigate the VoLTE capability first. Some phones are only certified with selected carriers, not necessarily all carriers.

Also, one way to tell if you’re using VoLTE or not is to watch the network indicator at the top of your screen when you’re on a call. If “LTE” disappears and reverts to some lower generation (2G, etc.), then you’re not using VoLTE. (Again, the setting only appears when you insert the appropriate carrier’s SIM, at least on many devices.)

1 Like

Probably not a good idea, especially if you don’t know much about the developer.

Wow, this is super helpful! Thanks for testing that stuff for me. I’m gonna test my SIM card and see if I get VoLTE with the SO-02K model. I’ve already started the return anyway but I’m just curious if it works or not. I’ll report back my findings for the sake of anyone that lands here via search engine. I’m also using T-Mobile so the G8441 should work just fine for me.

Well it’s kind of a weird situation. Because from what I can tell I’ve never seen anyone claiming to be the developer of that program. It just seems to be a few people here and there like that guy in Canada that promote the product and sell the credits for it, but don’t actually know anything about how it works. I’m kind of surprised there’s no open source program for this sort of thing yet, yet we have a sketchy closed source one that just been floating around for years and years and people have been using it to SIM unlock or bootloader permission unlock their devices.