[UNOFFICIAL BUILD] (Updated) Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact (lilac) e-1.5.1-s-20221110

That’s good news.
It currently does everything I need it to do so I am exceedingly happy with it as is.
The only things I have found so far that don’t work are the Advance Privacy crashes if you try to alter the location settings ( I just worked out today that is doesn’t happen if the GPS is on ) and there doesn’t seem to be a way to change the system accent colour. But I can totally live with blue :slight_smile:

I only discovered /e/OS and this whole world a few months ago when I was trying to rid my phone of google stuff that I didn’t want. The tools I found to do that only seemed to (apparently) switch them off but they were still there and I wasn’t happy.
There is stuff which wont work like my Barclays app but I realised that I totally needed to reassess what my phone is for and that I don’t need to do everything immediately. I need it to be a communication device and preferably one which doesn’t track me when I don’t want it to.

I totally love the location spoofing ( although when I fist installed /e/OS on my Z5c and tried to use it to navigate to York, it told me I was in Manilla which I thought must just be one of the things I was warned might not work with a custom ROM. Imagine how stoked I was when I found the advanced privacy settings!!)
I also love the privacy ratings in the App Lounge. Again, I have had to reassess what I want to put on my phone. Some things ( like the banking) I now leave to other devices like the house PC.

Trying to extricate myself from the tentacles of big tech whilst enjoying the bonuses of the technology.
I tried to use my old nokia and lasted a few days before I realised that many things have moved on for the better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can I ask what do you prefer on LineageOS ?

I am happily using my custom LineageOS for MIcrog 19.1 build at the moment. The camera app (OpenCamera) is good enough for my needs. As soon as I can get my Lineage OS 20 ROM to build, I will upgrade to 20. I don’t see any point in sticking with old builds.

New build available: e-1.7-s-20230116-UNOFFICIAL-lilac.zip

I’ve flashed it and it seems to run OK. I still can’t install the Microg EN Framework. If you need that I suggest installing a LineageOS for microG build as the don’t include a broken version of microG :frowning:

And don’t hold your breath for this to become official. I’m afraid I’m not motivated to jump through whatever hoops would be necessary - sorry!

Enjoy the ROM :slight_smile:

1 Like

Know that the main reason banks and every other business on the planet constantly nag you to install their apps on your device is so they can track your behavior, interactions, and location (courtesy of inbuilt ready-to-spy scripts by Google, Facebook, et al.). It’s not about making your experience more convenient. :wink:

I think that depends on which bank, and which app

Maybe. :wink:
Another reason may be that they want to reduce the possibility of ever having to interact with you personally via customer service.

Sorry - I didn’t see this earlier.

I like that

• I can use the original versions of the apps I use a lot (K-9 Mail, NextCloud Notes, NextCloud sync client, QKSMS, ETAR, DAVx5, MicroG) rather than forked versions which, at best, add nothing useful, only UI and theme changes, which lag behind the originals in terms of bug fixes and new features.
  • I can use mature app store apps, like F-Droid and Aurora Store, rather than /e/'s insufficiently-tested App Lounge (or Apps before that)
  • the Lineage documentation - of how to unlock your device, install a recovery, and use the recovery to install the ROM - appears to me more accurate than /e/'s. Perhaps because it has been around longer, and / or because it has more users to spot and help correct errors.
  • It doesn’t have the Advanced Privacy functionality. The privacy in LineageOS for MicroG is “good enough” for me. Advanced Privacy was also introduced with insufficient testing and, from what I’ve read in the forums and in Telegram, seems to have broken a lot of functions which, in LineageOS seem to work just fine.

The /e/ community seems to be more helpful and accepting than the official LineageOS community though :slight_smile:

And I still strongly support what /e/ (and IodéOS) are trying to do - even if I sometimes disagree with how they go about it :slight_smile: - which is why I hang out here and in Telegram to try and help users if I can, and I way I make unofficial and custom builds of /e/OS (alongside my LineageOS and IodéOS builds).

1 Like

Oh definitely! Apps are much cheaper that human support :slight_smile: Although the banks I use (Nationwide, Smile, Triodos) do all seem to have real live humans you can talk to if the app if the web can’t help :slight_smile:

And here is a custom build, also built from the v1-s branch. The only difference with this build is that it is possible to choose Trebuchet as your default Home app / Launche. This won’t ever be made official :slight_smile:

Built by applying this patch in package/apps/Trebuchet`

From 46ea4cf1806dcd70cdf9dc699fb04d704a1b01b1 Mon Sep 17 00:00:00 2001
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2023 18:32:19 +0000
Subject: [PATCH] Add back HOME category intent.

---
 AndroidManifest.xml                    | 1 +
 quickstep/AndroidManifest-launcher.xml | 1 +
 2 files changed, 2 insertions(+)

diff --git a/AndroidManifest.xml b/AndroidManifest.xml
index d6160e18c8..9ee92d71ac 100644
--- a/AndroidManifest.xml
+++ b/AndroidManifest.xml
@@ -61,6 +61,7 @@
             android:enabled="true">
             <intent-filter>
                 <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
+                <category android:name="android.intent.category.HOME" />
                 <category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />
                 <category android:name="android.intent.category.MONKEY"/>
                 <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER_APP" />
diff --git a/quickstep/AndroidManifest-launcher.xml b/quickstep/AndroidManifest-launcher.xml
index ffca79c788..ae804d2cdc 100644
--- a/quickstep/AndroidManifest-launcher.xml
+++ b/quickstep/AndroidManifest-launcher.xml
@@ -57,6 +57,7 @@
             android:enabled="true">
             <intent-filter>
                 <action android:name="android.intent.action.MAIN" />
+                <category android:name="android.intent.category.HOME" />
                 <category android:name="android.intent.category.DEFAULT" />
                 <category android:name="android.intent.category.MONKEY"/>
                 <category android:name="android.intent.category.LAUNCHER_APP" />
-- 
GitLab

Thanks a lot. Well if /e/ stops working on this device I will change to Lineage OS.
I really love this phone, small and working so well…

:cry: I’m really sad but I completely understand :wink:
Thanks for making /e/ possible on this device !!!

I’m not sure if I should try to install v.1.7 s
I’m currently on v.1.7 q and since I’m not a very techy person, I’m afraid it won’t work and I won’t be able to come back to v1.7q.
May I ask what won’t work if I install v.1.7 s and don’t have the microG En framework ?

Only some Covid contact tracking apps e.g. the UK NHS one. Not a big deal any longer. Everything else should work at least as well as 1.7-q

Wonderful, I’ll try it then. Thanks

Do you think a dirty flash from v1.7 q to v1.7s will work ?

Not sure. Worth backing up just in case. I generally use both

1 Like

Thanks a lot.
Unfortunately, adb doesn’t work. I don’t understand why. I’ve done it several times in my life and it always worked.
I’ve got this response

adb: sideload connection failed: insufficient permissions for device: missing udev rules? user is in the plugdev group
See [http://developer.android.com/tools/device.html] for more information
adb: trying pre-KitKat sideload method…
adb: pre-KitKat sideload connection failed: insufficient permissions for device: missing udev rules? user is in the plugdev group
See [http://developer.android.com/tools/device.html] for more information

or this one

adb: sideload connection failed: no devices/emulators found
adb: trying pre-KitKat sideload method…
adb: pre-KitKat sideload connection failed: no devices/emulators found

If you have any ideas. I’ve looked several things but didn’t find the solution

Sounds like a problem with your PC setup. Sorry but I have no idea how to fix that

1 Like

Well I don’t know what did it, but I allowed the “root debug” and then put “sudo adb etc…” and it worked :wink:
Everything seems to work well, I have all my applications. Just need to get used to the new look :slight_smile: