Update to Pi / Issue with sideload back to stock rom / pre-KitKat sideload connection failed

Hi

I am finally trying to update PH1 from /e/ 0.7 to PIE> with what I understand of the instructions
https://doc.e.foundation/devices/mata/upgrade.

Waiting for the online installer, maybe it would be nice that the team pay an effort to write clear step by step instructions.

My problem:
I am stuck at the step “back to store” which goes by “Download the latest stock ROM build for the mata” and “Follow the steps to install the stock ROM as given on the vendor site”

1. i did not find any instruction on Essential web. If anyone has a link, welcome.

2. Sideload error
    adb sideload stock.zip
    adb: sideload connection failed: no devices/emulators found
    adb: trying pre-KitKat sideload method…
    adb: pre-KitKat sideload connection failed: no devices/emulators found’’

How to overcome that error ?

Thanks a lot.

There is another set of instructions here

THANKS. I will try that

Hello, it is not clear to me yet why a back to StockROM should be necessary. You’ve installed /e/ 0.7-2020022943260 and everything works fine?

If so, you can upgrade manually from e-Nougat to e-Pie immediately. Please compare with [HOWTO] Upgrade manually from e-Nougat | e-Oero to official e-Pie builds. This method has worked perfectly for me.

I concur with archje, some folks on various devices have successfully updated from Nougat to Pie without going to stock.

One could try a direct upgrade. If ROM successfully boots then test the important hardware stuff like SIM recognition, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.
Consider going back to stock as a last resort if things don’t work.

1 Like