We could all do with a little less Facebook in our lives!

Thanks for spotting this.
Looks like “preach water and drink wine”

1 Like

But wait, there’s more: Facebook Pro.

1 Like

I don’t see what’s wrong. Gael having a Facebook (and Twitter) account in order to communicate or other reasons doesn’t mean it’s bad or that Gael is a false open-source and privacy focused person.

Let’s people use what they want without judgment and let’s advertise on those proprietary tools if needed.

6 Likes

What they say:

“We strive to deliver a different model, where you can use a smartphone without being spied upon but also identify potential threats to your privacy.”

“you can check whether a specific app includes any Facebook trackers before you download it on your phone.”

“audits and analyses the presence of trackers in Android applications”

What they encourage:

Help us spread the word and follow us: On Twitter

What they don’t say:

Facebook and google (and many others) track you even when you simply browse the web. Apps are not the only thing. Twitter site has google tracking.

They encourage you to go to Twitter where google tracks you. While saying they are helping you de-Google. Hypocrisy!

If you aren’t on those social medias you can’t be seen.

Of course Gael could have create a hidden service on the TOR network with the forum, the website and a Facebook and Twitter alternative, but he would still be alone today so it’s completely counter productive.

The eFoundation provides an open source operating system that respects what they aim and that’s what matters.

Edward Snowden tweets a lot while he’s definitely a privacy and open source focused person because it’s the best way to spread those principles.

8 Likes

Even the article they suggested, “A Year Without Facebook”, is full of web trackers, including Facebook. If it wasn’t so sad, it would be hilarious!

Edward Snowden tweets a lot

Snowden also recommended GrapheneOS, for what that’s worth.

The eFoundation isn’t responsible of the way the web is today and they can share an article they judge useful even if there are ads or trackers in it. Just use Firefox or other tools if you want and this problem is solved.

Of course in this case no trackers would have been better but the contrary isn’t badly bad.

But did he say not to use /e/OS ? The fact he recommends something else isn’t an argument nor a proof.

I think I have nothing more to add so this is probably my last post about that (here).

2 Likes

finnaly, i find the default browser quite fine, based on bromite,
https://www.bromite.org/

“If you aren’t on those social medias you can’t be seen.”

“Just use Firefox or other tools if you want and this problem is solved.”

“i find the default browser quite fine”

Sounds like some people need to study browser fingerprinting and web tracking more.

1 Like

I didn’t mean that Facebook can’t track you if you are not on Facebook but that people have less chance to learn about the existence of the eFoundation if the eFoundation isn’t on popular social media.

That’s why I’ve created the following topic which help to prevent it :

@bitemich seriously?!?!?!? These screenshots are from the sites of Indidea, Twitter, Facebook, and BerryDuchess. /e/ has no control over how these sites are setup!!! How can you criticize /e/ for using Facebook tracking on these sites. Wow.
As @Anonyme already said, “f you aren’t on those social medias you can’t be seen.” Totally true and a very valid reason to use the sites!!!

3 Likes

@donut3 Do you know Indidea is Gael Duval’s personal website? He could have it hosted anywhere. He should set the example, and find ways to break away. Or you can ask, how important is deGoogling your phone, if every site they send you to is full of google tracking. You can break away from the controlling infrastructure (Google, Twitter, Facebook…), or you can submit to them and use them. Choose one. Gael Duval chooses both, and sells snake oil. Be like Ghandi. Don’t pretend. Truly break free!

I hope users on this forum understand that /e/ is not a cult or a religion. We are not asking users to follow or mold their life in the image of Gaël. In case any one thinks every single line of code or article published by /e/ is written by Gaël then he / she has no idea how an organization works. The /e/ team has a large number of contributors who write and publish articles and posts. Gaël does a high level review and does set the policy which the team works upon.
He has said a number of times in his posts that /e/ is not a revolution but an evolution. Which means we are trying to wean ourselves away from the clutches of the Googles, whatsapp and Facebooks of the world. This is no sermon from the mount where the users are being told what to do…we the /e/ team and that includes Gaël are also trying to stop using these modes of social media.
Let us also not forget that the core source code of /e/ or LOS from which we forked , comes from Google - AOSP. We still have MicroG needed to use the ‘unsafe’ apps of this world. If we had wanted a revolution we would have written the OS code from scratch.
W/e/ have set a pace a timeline and a vision for ourselves and we intent to achieve it with the limited resources at our disposal. All I can say is if you find a better alternative to /e/ please use it by all means.

8 Likes

My thoughts exactly @Manoj

:+1: :+1:

If that’s really your opinion, I wonder why you’re still around here :wink:

@bitemich good point… I actually had no idea how the site was setup. Yeah it’s a little disappointing…
We’re getting off topic though… We all really could do without Fbook at all!!!

1 Like

This client doesn’t track:
Slimsocial for Facebook on F-Droid

For all those who still use Facebook, Instagram or WhatsApp: Here’s a new little article filled with good arguments why just to the step away from those creeps:

https://techcrunch.com/2020/04/03/before-suing-nso-group-facebook-allegedly-sought-their-software-to-better-spy-on-users/

2 Likes

You are informed by the e foundation about problems. They provide alternative sources of information (e.g. this forum). You are not forced to go to twitter, FB and alike. Where is the hypocrisy?