Week 18, 2022: Development and Testing Updates

Builds and Releases

v1.0

The next major milestone for /e/OS is the release of v1.0.
With this, we will move out of the beta phase and release v1.0 builds for all users. This will not include Oreo or Nougat devices (refer to details in the Oreo and Nougat devices section below)

• Milestone details here

• ETA for release 24 May 2022 :crossed_fingers:

• The code name for this release is Alicante

• There will not be a v0.24 as we will have the v1.0 builds

• Some issues may be marked confidential by their owners and will not be visible to all.

:nerd_face: Issues get marked confidential as they contain user logs or user device information. At times when we are working on a new feature and not exactly sure if it will work, we mark it confidential during the development phase.

v0.23

OS OTA Upgrade

s7 /s7 edge

• We are testing of the OTA OS upgrade for s7 / s7 edge.
  • Volunteers who can help with this testing required
  • With the focus on v1.0 there is a slight delay here.

Oreo and Nougat devices

• We will try to upgrade devices where possible. Builds are failing for devices on these two operating systems. We may eventually have to drop support for devices stuck on Oreo and Nougat unless we get ROM Maintainers willing to build and debug issues for Oreo and Nougat
  • We had a request for log files for these failed builds. Checked and found team does not retain log files. May be users who make unofficial build for nougat and oreo can pitch in.

GSI

• GSI builds for v0.23 has been released.

• GSI sources are available here

ROM Builders - Unofficial and Custom

• A new Docker image has been released
  • Those building using traditional repo sync method refer android_prebuilts_prebuiltapks_lfs
    • You will have to install git-lfs (sudo apt-get install git-lfs)
    • After completing a repo sync, you will have to run repo forall -c 'git lfs pull'

:nerd_face: Reason behind these changes:

Development Activity

A summary of issues dev team is investigating or working on

• Bliss launcher upgrading and existing issue resolution
  • eDrive code refactoring to optimize the application
  • Updating Applications where forked …ongoing task
  • EasyInstaller to adapt to upgrade OS builds…investigation only

This is a subset of what the team is working on. Most of these tasks are under development and testing phase. Some of the issues will be confidential and not visible to all users.

Announcements

:loudspeaker: Roadmap 2022

:loudspeaker: Teracube 2e and emerald
Teracube users please note there are two different versions of the device now. 2020 released devices are classified as 2e on our site, and those released in 2021 are code named emerald. We have added a warning in the guides to help users. 2e guide and emerald guide.

:loudspeaker: Teracube 2e and emerald stocks
We should have received a new batch of devices and these will be shipped off to the users who had preordered them.

:loudspeaker: Gigaset GS290

• We have stopped the sales of the Gigaset GS290 on the eSolutionsShop as the vendor has stopped production of the device. We will continue support for existing users.

:loudspeaker: Message being shared on the request of our vendor partners

• Vendors whose phones we sell on our eSolutions Store do not directly sell /e/OS flashed devices.
  • The vendors only sell their devices with their own stock ROM.
  • To get pre flashed /e/OS phones, you have to purchase them from the eSolutions Shop.

:loudspeaker: /e/OS Pre flashed device sales

• We sell directly in EU, US, Canada.
  • Find details of what devices are available in which countries here eSolutions Shop.

:loudspeaker: Porting and New Devices

• Efforts to port new devices continue and details will be shared once we have working builds available :crossed_fingers:

/e/OS Links

Support

• Facing issues with devices you purchased from us ? Send a mail with details to <helpdesk@e.email>

Websites

Telegram Channel

Social Media

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

17 Likes

R.I.P. Nougat devices :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

I have had no problem with failed builds, up to and including the v0.21-nougat tag. I have built for Sony and Samsung Galaxy Tab nougat devices.

If you can tell me

• a tag or version to build from that you expect to fail AND
  • the id(s) of one or more devices that fail to build

then I can try the build, and make log files available

4 Likes

@Manoj What will happen with GSI? What kinda version will there be?

Let me check and get back on this.

We will continue with the GSI builds. They will come along with v1.0

3 Likes

Just a minor remark on “social media” part:
It is not “Mastedon” but “Mastodon” (with an o).

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

Thanks for pointing out the error in the spelling. Have corrected it.

@Manoj will “out of beta phase” also mean user build instead of userdebug build, or will dev builds remain the same and possible change only to stable?

Just curious if this will finally remove / reduce device being detected as rooted by some apps… At least in some cases.

3 Likes

The technical response is …all devices will remain on userdebug build. We plan to move to user builds later. It will not affect app support, as we use ih8sn in order to let those apps think they are running on a user build.

4 Likes

So will ih8sn be part of v1.0 or also later? Just want to make sure if v1.0 update will be the one when it’s time to finally remove Magisk, maybe right before updating so that’s why it will be nice to know when.

Hi,
Out of curiosity, what happened to issues that i ve raised so far. 3 or 4 have been done but some 12 issues and\or feature proposal are as it. Will they be discarded (at least Bugs).
Some are as old as two years.

Issues numbers: 1537, 3566, 5274, 5302, 5275, 3687, 3689, 3690, 3572, 1492, 1492.
What is happening to them or what will happen to them. Is it possible to see their status !
Thanks in advance

You can check the status of issues on gitlab.

1 Like

Yes I see them there. But what will happen to unsolved Bugs\Issues !

If you expect all bugs to be solved in gitlab and then we go ahead with a v1.0 release, then I guess we will remain in beta forever. Showstopper or critical issues are resolved and marked as such. All software written on this planet have bugs. Some are critical to be resolved and get prioritized. Others which can be moved over to future releases are planned for later releases. That is how all software projects get planned and managed.

7 Likes

What about this one?

1 Like

Pl check on the issue for updates. I guess all users will be sharing issues they raised on this thread and want it to be prioritized. You can always ask the developers on the thread if there are any updates.

1 Like

This is about connection to Google, pretty important i think for a Google free OS. This is over a year old.
Edit: Also in android R!

Have asked dev team to check the issues and put ETAs or milestones around them

2 Likes

As usual, great work from the small /e/, Murena team. What they get accomplished with such a small team is pretty incredible.

@Manoj I see that Lineage 19.1 is out (Android S or 12). Is that on the roadmap?

Curious to know how/when you guys decide to adopt it. Does it require a large effort or is it applying the existing updates to the current branches?

1 Like