Week 21, 2023: Development and Testing Updates

Release Information

v1.11

• Release notes

• Release as always is staggered across devices …last set of builds will be released by 24th May

:point_right: Devices that will not get v1.11 build

The following devices will not be getting v1.11 stable build as the team detected bugs.

• Murena One

• Teracube

• 2e
    • emerald
  • The team is working on resolving the issues for these devices.

• These devices will get the fixes in v1.12

Previous 5 releases & user feedback

Murena cloud updated to NC 25.0.6.4

• Release notes available here

:nerd_face: Some users were checking how they could verify the current NextCloud version?

• You can check the complete documentation and current NC version under https://murena.io/settings/help >> NextCloud xx user documentation. The xx should show 25 now
  • Another way to check the current version is to check the NextCloud scan link and input https://murena.io this should display the current version number as well as the security level.

Please note if MurenaCloud patch number is not the same as the NC patch number, the rating would show up as bad :neutral_face: This is not exactly a problem. We do not immediately jump to the next NC patch as soon as it is released. We first test it and then set out with the deployment.

:information_source: If some users are seeing notes disappearing or Murena Cloud services not accessible anymore, we request them to connect to Murena Cloud and accept ToS
The team is working on a fix for this issue

GSI

v1.11

• Download here
    • Sources available here
    • version is /e/OS Q (A10)
    • S (A12) and R (A11) version of GSI yet to be planned. Awaiting developer availability

Upcoming releases

• /e/OS T or Android 13
    • The /e/OS T release will come along with v1.12 :crossed_fingers:
  • New and improved version of the Bliss Launcher
  • An /e/OS T build for a tablet. Will share tablet name once we have the final builds ready

ETA: To be announced

:nerd_face: ETA: Estimated time of arrival - term used in software development to denote the estimated time when a product can be expected to be released.

:new: Update on /e/OS T Check out the first list of devices which will be upgraded to /e/OS T

Self-hosted eCloud upgrade

OS OTA upgrades

Completed

• GS290 >> Q (A10)→ Android 11 (R) :new:
  • Oneplus nord aviccii >> A12(stable)
  • FP4 >> R ( A11) to S (A12)stable
  • FP3 >> R (A11) to S (A12) stable
  • FP3 >> Q (A10) to R (A11) stable
  • OnePlus Nord >> Q ( A10) to R (A11) (stable build)
  • Samsung s7 / s7+ >> Nougat (A7) to Q (A10)
  • Samsung s9 / s9+ >> Oreo (A8) to Q (A10)
  • Samsung s8 /s8+ >> Pie (A9) to R (A11) OTA upgrade

Under development

• Galaxy S9/S9+ Q (A10)→ Android 11 (R) - No ETA as yet

Support dropped

Only one OS version per device

• Support of multiple OS versions on the same device has been stopped
  • Upgrade your device to the latest OS version available.
    • For example, if /e/OS R (Android 11) builds are available for your /e/OS Q (Android 10) build, upgrade to the latest version which in this case would be A11.

Nokia devices

• All Nokia devices

• It is not possible to officially unlock Nokia bootloaders + lack of dedicated maintainer
  • Google

• Google Nexus 7 2013 flox
    • Device has partition size issues. Not able to build /e/OS ROMs for this device even with minimal build

:nerd_face: Minimal build is a setting in /e/OS build which removes the following default applications (LibreOffice viewer, PDFViewer, Maps and Weather)from the source code and builds a smaller version of the ROM.

Check real time availability of /e/OS and related services websites

eCloud related websites

/e/OS related

OS upgrade info specific to the FP3 The FP3 OTA OS update from Pie to Q/R is not possible as encryption method changed on FP3 between Pie and Q/R. It is not possible to change the method while updating. The team spent a great deal of time on this, but has not been able to resolve this problem. For now, the manual process is the only way to upgrade the FP3 from pie to other OS versions.
End of official support for Nougat, Oreo and Pie 😞 For Pie, Oreo and Nougat the official /e/OS support draws to a close.

Reasons for dropping official support are:

• newly released applications like App Lounge, Advanced privacy code has not been customized for these OS versions.
  • lack of dedicated ROM Maintainers
  • no support upstream (Lineage dropped support for Pie sometime back)
  • device trees will continue to exist in the Gitlab and users with build skills can create custom ROMs on these builds
  • Security patches and vendor patches for the Pie, Oreo and Nougat code will be updated based on availability.

:nerd_face: Google stops security patches for OS after some time. Similarly, Vendors drop support for older models when they release newer models in the market. Then it depends on developers from various communities to backport the patches.

Device and Vendor specific Announcements

:loudspeaker: Gigaset GS290

• We have stopped the sales of the Gigaset GS290 on the eSolutionsShop as the vendor has stopped production of the device. We will continue support for existing users.

:loudspeaker: Message being shared on the request of our vendor partners

• Vendors whose phones we sell on our eSolutions Store do not directly sell /e/OS flashed devices.
  • The vendors only sell their devices with their own stock ROM.
  • To get pre flashed /e/OS phones, you have to purchase them from the eSolutions Shop.

:loudspeaker: /e/OS Pre flashed device sales

• We sell directly in EU, US, Canada.
  • Find details of what devices are available in which countries here eSolutions Shop.
  • In Australia we do not sell directly. You can purchase preflashed /e/OS devices from this site

:loudspeaker: Murena One released
A phone from Murena with /e/OS installed has been launched and is available for purchase. Check the device specs here

Expect more device releases from Murena in future :grinning:

:nerd_face: Murena is the brand name and /e/OS is the operating system.

/e/OS Links

Support

• Facing issues with devices you purchased from us ? Send a mail with details to helpdesk@e.email

Websites

Telegram Channel

Social Media

Newsletters

Regain your privacy! Adopt /e/ the unGoogled mobile OS and online servicesphone

13 Likes

Hi,

Will the FP3 eOS T be relaeased along with the v1.12 stable (as posted for the eOS T dev) or will it be later ?

Thanks

I will share the ETA for stable /e/OS T builds once I get the updates from the team. For now, the list is all about dev builds.

4 Likes

Hey @Manoj

Thanks for all your and the team’s work!
Could you please lead me to the issue page for submitting beta testing content (FP3) on 1.12 s

I think this might be relevant for the T release as well. I am still (since 1.10) experiencing serious camera issues on my FP3 with 3+ camera. Just loaded the beta release and things got even worse (than no usable).

Thanks!

The 1.12s builds are as yet with the testing team…if you want to share your suggestions, ideally you should join the Testing team or raise an issue on the GitLab.

2 Likes

Thx @Manoj

I have already installed the beta. This is why I asked. I contributed in testing with earlier releases but could not find the right “location for the issue”. Will do so now!

1 Like

How it’s possible to have the beta ?

You can enable to use the test channel in the developer options.

2 Likes

Hi @Manoj ,

Is the 1.12S-beta is available for all devices ? Because I don’t see it when I refresh the Update menu on my OP8T (kebab). even I use the test channel.

The 1.12 builds are test builds. If you are interested in testing the build, you can join the testing team. Once there, if your device is not showing up, you can request the team to make the build so that you can test it.

1 Like

I see that hotdogb Stable R got the 1.11 update. Does that mean there are issues with Stable S because that still has not appeared?

Still waiting on an update why the S build could not go out for ‘hotdogb’

1 Like

The /e/OS S stable build for ‘hotdogb’ should be available now.

2 Likes

Thank you! Appreciate all the hard work you and the team do!

1 Like

Is that normal that avicii v1.11 build isn’t yet available via OTA update ?
[Edit: the update just appeared]

Does this mean that there will be no more Android 12 dev versions but only Android 13 (e.g. for the Oneplus 5)?

1 Like

Will it take some time for Stable S to be added to Easy Installer? I ran Easy Installer and it downloaded Stable R.

Pl can you raise an issue for this in GitLab, I can assign it to the developers to do what is necessary.
How to report an issue if not already done is explained here

2 Likes

Reported the bug.
Easy Installer installs /e/ OS R instead of S for hotdogb (#6980) · Issues · e / Backlog · GitLab

1 Like