Week 32 : Development and Testing Updates

Is there a reason that the esolutions refurbished S9 isn’t on the list of devices you plan to support for /e/ R?

The s9 is not supported on Android 11 as yet. No support on LOS as well.We will have to port the device to /e/ R . That will need dedicated resources and a timeline. We are also looking towards other and newer devices to support.

1 Like

As there is no ETA for OTA Upgrade, does that mean when /e/ R comes available for a device, it needs to be reinstalled with /e/ R.

1 Like

installing /e/ is very easy to do as you have TWRP already installed

…given you have no A/B device like Fairphone 3.

ok not so easy… but not impossible
we have FP3 power users who can make good Fastboot Howto

[quote="[HOW-TO] Flash /e/-OS on Fairphone 3 using Debian based GNU/Linux, post:1, topic:15498"]
Warning: This process will completely wipe all data in the internal storage of your smartphon…
[/quote]

Installing is no problem (I used the easy installer without any issue). My problem will be the wipe of all data - which means, complete new installation and setup of 108 APPs several calenders and email accounts. The biggest headache will be the setup of my banking APPs, they’ll guide me a hard way to authenticate… :unamused:

5 Likes

Not so easy to reinstall all your user apps and re-input all your settings and data. Would be much easier if the integration of SeedVault (which has been going on for a long time, but seems to have stalled at the moment) were completed before doing the migration from Q to R which breaks the only existing method of backing up user apps and data (i.e. TWRP backups).

2 Likes

If you read the instructions for upgrade (17 → 18) of lineage OS, they recommend an adb sideload. As far, as I understood, without a wipe of data. Maybe… :wink:

2 Likes

Please don’t get mixed up between LineageOS versions and /e/ versions:

Lineage OS

Lineage OS 17 is Android 10 / Q. LOS 18 is Android 11 / R.

Everything I have read,and my experiments upgrading from LOS 17 to 18 on one of my devices indicates that you must do a clean install and wipe your date beforehand. If you don’t you will probably find yourself in a ‘bootloop’ where the phone fails to start.

Also TWRP backups of LOS 17 data will not work when restored on LOS 18: doing so will cause a bootloop and an unbootable phone.

Lineage OS includes SeedVault which does allow LOS 17 backups to be restored on LOS 18 (though it does not back up all user data or app settings). I have not yet got round to trying this solution out, so it may or may not work :slight_smile:

/e/

/e/ 0.17 exists in Android 7 / Nougat, Android 8 / Oreo, Android 9 / Pie and Android 10 / Q versions: you can tell from the name of the ROM zip file

/e/ 0.18 currently exists in Android 9 / Pie and Android 10 / Q versions, and the Android 11 / R versions are currently being tested.

Updating from /e/ 0.17 to /e/ 0.18 can be done without wiping data so long as they are both the same Android version.

No /e/ versions include SeedVault, so when /e/ release the Android 11 / R versions, then you will need to wipe your data before flashing, and reinstall all your apps and re-input all your settings from scratch.

6 Likes

As an alternative method, as a /e/ R beta-tester I made the promise to fireproof AppManager, and I will :slight_smile:

I already took a backup of all user apps from my testing device, and also of all system apps settings to check if we could restore some (in example, /e/ Account Manager).

But it will take some time : I have to wait for the R build, find some time to flash it and conduct the requested tests, and then I could try to restore apps with AppManager.

Looking at the content of the backup, I’m pretty confident it’ll go the right path :slight_smile:

Thanks for reminding me :slight_smile: I have a couple of R ROMs to test too, and at least one of the devices already has App Manager installed, after your earlier post. I’ll try using it to backup (at least some of) my Q apps and data before I flash the R ROM. I really would make upgrading much less tedious if it does (or could be made to) work. Please refresh my memory: do I install App MAnager from F-Droid or Aurora Store? Thanks

[EDIT} Never mind - I found it again on F-Droid

2 Likes

It’s from F-Droid : App Manager - Android package manager | F-Droid - Free and Open Source Android App Repository

Unfortunately, it’s not a one-click operation :

• before first launch, allow app to use storage
  • create a profile, in t’s configuration enable backup/restore and scroll down to enable “Save APK” (don’t forget to save from 3-dot button)
  • back to packages list, filter only user apps, then long-press one, use “select all” button at bottom, and add them all to your profile
  • back to profile, use 3-dot button to apply : this should start backup. You’ll be probably asked for “profile state”, as I could understand from doc “on” is for backup and “off” for restore

In backup settings I choose APK, External and OBB; I don’t know if all these data are relevant.

By the way, you may find some interesting feature of this app by taping some app them in the list :wink:

3 Likes

Now, having re-read some of the docs, I’ve remembered why I didn’t follow up much further on App Manager after your first post. Looks like it can backup and restore app .apks without root, but to backup app data and settings I would need to root the phones. I’m not a fan of rooting phones. I’ll sleep on this one and work out what to focus on next. I may just take the hit of reinstalling this time

1 Like

AFAIK, root is not needed for a backup of user app.

Please take a look at the content of a backup :wink:

Yes, this app is very powerfull.
It can also throw activities, even from app without launcher icon !
But that’s out of current scope :wink:

1 Like

Can it be used to back up and restore app .apks from say device manufacturer A to device manufacturer B? Sorry for my noob question. I am in the sameboat and don’t root so I decided to stop testing it when I couldn’t block trackers via ADB.

User apk backup/restore should be possible for the same Android level.
To be tested … :wink:

1 Like

OK I’ve done that, and I have a backup on my external SD card. But how do I restore it to the upgraded phone?

I’ve wiped and formatted data, and flased the Anroid R ROM (LOS, not /e/ for now, as I’m working on my wife’s phones).

After doing the FTSW, I installed F-Droid via the Browser, and App manager from F-Droid.

I can create a profile, but I can’t add any user apps sincec tere are none installed. What is my next step?

Thanks in anticipation :slight_smile: